ATI and customer support and drivers...

I just got a laptop with a v5200 processor and I cant seem to find the right drivers on ati's website. So I send a message asking them for a little help and here is their response.

"ATI does not provide direct technical support for laptops/notebooks at this current time (telephone or email). If you require direct technical support please contact the system manufacturer of your laptop/notebook."

So can some please help figure out which drivers to dl to update it...
3 answers Last reply
More about customer support drivers
  1. Hey spoon, need more details on your machine. Download and run a liitle utility called PCWizard. Need to know your graphics chipset, MB and the like.
    A note with my desktop. Noticed Catalist 6.5 was out and updated to that. WRONG! Brought my system to its kness. Reinstalled 6.1, much better! So one needs to be careful, sometimes the latest ain't the greatest.
    DC
  2. Quote:
    "ATI does not provide direct technical support for laptops/notebooks at this current time (telephone or email). If you require direct technical support please contact the system manufacturer of your laptop/notebook."


    And they are exactly correct.

    Go back to the manufacturer of your laptop for updates. ATI will not support the mobile chips as they are assembled by the laptop companies.
  3. Quote:
    I just got a laptop with a v5200 processor and I cant seem to find the right drivers on ati's website. So I send a message asking them for a little help and here is their response.


    That's a FireGL, are you gaming or using it for workstation apps?

    Technically, it is the responsibility of the Laptop mfr to make the drivers available to you, but I don't discount ATi's responsibility for their product too. The Very-Fuk-eh-Shun tool's BS to help the laptop makers target pricing by dividing the market for the same chips (disable one version sell it for $500 less than the upper level model, but still only need 1 chip from ATi). Anywhoo, check the FireGL section, and if not station driver has alot of options;

    http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atidriv%20mobility.htm

    If you do enough schmoozing with people in places like Rage3D or DriverHeaven you might get the direct links if someone is kind enough. 8)

    If it were up to Gateway and ATi I would still be stuck with Cat 5.6 drivers for my MRX700 in my laptop!

    Quote:
    And they are exactly correct.

    Go back to the manufacturer of your laptop for updates. ATI will not support the mobile chips as they are assembled by the laptop companies.


    Mobile chips are not assembled by the laptop companies, but at best the boards are, and even that's questionable with ATi's "easy-fit" socket for AXIOM/MXM solutions.

    And really ATi still has some responsibility for being the chip and driver maker. The only difference, their loyalty to the laptop company's marketing/economic strategy ignores the reality that most laptop users have the potential to buy much more expensive desktop parts too, and this experience may impact that decision negatively.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Laptops Drivers Support ATI Graphics