cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
I was using ATItool to try to boost performance on my Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 512 mb (AGP) because I would like Oblivion to run a bit smoother. It runs ok for now but I figured if I could overclock it a bit it would be better.

I think my Max Core got to about 550 and max mem to 450. will this help at all?

also, while running the max tests the graph indicating temperature was always around 92 degrees. That seems very high to me. Is it excessive?

cleeve

Illustrious
It'll help a bit, but 92 degrees is getting a bit hot.

If you're serious about overclocking, you can get an aftermarket heat-pipe cooler to lower temps, and then use Atitool to increase your voltages. You'll get much higher clockspeeds, your core should easily get to X1600 XT speeds, even higher.

But you have to take care of that heat problem, if it's getting to 92 degrees I wouldn't overclock it, not worth the return you're getting for 50 Mhz or so.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
What's weird is that it immediately went to 92 degrees on the graph when i started find max core. is it possible the reading is wrong?

sailer

Splendid
Just to make sure of understanding, is that 92 degress 92c or 92f. If its 92f, you have nothing to worry about. If its 92c, I'd definetly do something about it. An extra fan blowing across tha card, better HS, something, just get the card cooler. Then it will live longer and provide better speed, better stability. etc.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I've been using my Sapphire x1600 Pro 512MB for about two months now. I initially was very concerned about my temp reading of 79C; enough so I emailed customer support. They told me up to 90C was with in range and the chip was designed to run hot.

I use ATI Tool to OC mine to 580/405

As a side note, I'm tired of everyone trashing x1600's. No it is not a good card for $300. Ati priced it way too high. But yes it is a very good card for the $120, which I paid for my sapphire online. Must think street prices people.

I play Oblivion at 1360x768 at around 24fps out doors. With HDR and most other settings at defult. Textures High. Water High with reflections. I also use the "Make it Pretty Pack" from Game Spot. Yes, in combat it can bog down with many enemies, but other than that it's fine and beautiful.

Athlon x2 3800
3GB DRR @ 400Mhz dual channel
x1600 Pro 512MB
blah, blah, blah.. .nothing special rig

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
I'm glad to hear that. I'm hoping to OC mine to about that. I noticed you have your mem clocked to 405 which I think is about the default. Yuo didn't want to overclock that at all?

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Yes, Sadly the mem on mine wasn't stable at any useful overclock. Perhaps Sapphire saved some money on RAM that was rated for only 400MHz? The core clock from 500 to 580 did make a noticable difference.

Like I said, I'm more than happy with my x1600, for $120. It is a good replacement for my ancient 9800 Pro. I plan to go for a top-end card next spring a generation and a half into DX10. So this x1600 is a "give me another good year" card.

-A concern about ATItool .25
When I tell it to find Max Core, even on the most sensitive settings it burns my core up to 650+ before the computer blue screens and reboots. Something not quite right about it.