Toner Refill Kits (do they work?)

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1112141769.352492.142920@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I have seen these toner refill kits that use a tool to melt a hole in
> the cartridge. Do they work? Is it a messy job?
> http://www.universalrefill.net

Been refilling my laser printers for years and they work.
Can be a bit messy first time but no problem next time and good savings.

dani

Rip-off. First of all the cartridges have a waste toner bin that pretty
much fills up on the first cycle. Anything more than that and the toner
has to go somewhere. Guess where that is? Kits don't allow for removing
this toner. Then there's the wear on the drum and wiper blade. These
are items that are replaced by quality remanufacturers. Then here's the
shocker $20+ for a bottle of toner that costs less than $5, they're
laughing all the way to the bank. Oh by the way, most toner bins have a
removable cap. Why are we burning a hole in the cartridge?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have been refilling three laser printers for years and on average you can
refill each cartridge three times then better to buy a new cartridge. The
toner suppliers give instructions if you want to refill more than three
times but involves a lot of mess.

My cartridges vary in that some have a removable cap but some you need to
make a hole.

I use printers without a drum.

My savings are two thirds which to me is well worth it but it could be the
UK toner suppliers that I use are pretty good. I have always found them to
be.

Ken wrote:
> I have been refilling three laser printers for years and on average
you can
> refill each cartridge three times then better to buy a new cartridge.
The
> toner suppliers give instructions if you want to refill more than
three
> times but involves a lot of mess.
>

> My cartridges vary in that some have a removable cap but some you
need to
> make a hole.
>

> I use printers without a drum.
>

> My savings are two thirds which to me is well worth it but it could
be the
> UK toner suppliers that I use are pretty good. I have always found
them to
> be.

Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to drum
wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
cycle depending on cartridge model. Then there is the question of where
all the waste toner is going to be stored since you're not emptying the
waste bin at all. Either you don't care at all about print quality, you
are exagerating or you're one of the people selling these over-priced
refill kits. Having been in the remanufacturing industry for over 15
years, I know cartridges inside and out. Notice I'm not trying to sell
anything and you're the one pushing these dubious refill kits. Here's a
question for you. If these kits are so great, why does one of the
sellers advise to only pour in 1/3 of a bottle at a time? Seems to me
he is trying to appear like he's looking out for the customer's best
interests, but in reality he's expecting the cartridge to fail. Of
course if it does, you can buy an overpriced empty from him. Gotta love
it. Check it out yourself http://tonerrefillkits.com I'm not endorsing
this guy as I consider him one of the aforementioned profiteers. Did I
mention that toner is readily available for less than 1/4 the price
these refillers are charging. Check out this site
http://fixyourownprinter.com In the reference section there are FREE
remanufacturing instructions for rebuilding these cartridges. There are
also links to periodicals where you can source the toners, blades and
drums. You can actually rebuild it the right way for about the price of
one of those overpriced refill kits.

> <Dani@spamtothehand.com> wrote in message
> > Rip-off. First of all the cartridges have a waste toner bin that
pretty
> > much fills up on the first cycle. Anything more than that and the
toner
> > has to go somewhere. Guess where that is? Kits don't allow for
removing
> > this toner. Then there's the wear on the drum and wiper blade.
These
> > are items that are replaced by quality remanufacturers. Then here's
the
> > shocker $20+ for a bottle of toner that costs less than $5, they're
> > laughing all the way to the bank. Oh by the way, most toner bins
have a
> > removable cap. Why are we burning a hole in the cartridge?

gb

....> Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to drum
> wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
> cycle depending on cartridge model.

Interesting comment since Ken just said on average he gets three good
refills from each cart.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

"GB" <guy@dilithiumNO_SPAM.com.au> wrote in message
> <Dani@spamtothehand.com> wrote in message
> ...> Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to
> drum
>> wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
>> cycle depending on cartridge model.
>
> Interesting comment since Ken just said on average he gets three good
> refills from each cart.

Yes I do get three good refills and I am very fussy as to maintaining the
quality and I have no connection with the company I buy the refills from It
is in the UK. When I first bought it was on suggestion from a business
associate and he has used the company for a lot longer than me.

For goodness sake I don't need some clever dick telling me about drums and
wiper blades. I know what I am doing and it suits me fine.

Ken

dani

That's what I love about this ng, a bunch of clueless hacks giving out
advice based solely on the fact they own a printer. There's so much bad
advice, that when a sane, competent tech tries to tell it how it really
is, he's lost in the moronitude. Then there's the fact it's totally
unmoderated and full of spam, pyramid schemes and the like. Why anyone
would even seek advice here is beyond my comprehension. The blind
leading the blind.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT A TWIT YOU ARE SIR

> That's what I love about this ng, a bunch of clueless hacks giving out
> advice based solely on the fact they own a printer. There's so much bad
> advice, that when a sane, competent tech tries to tell it how it really
> is, he's lost in the moronitude. Then there's the fact it's totally
> unmoderated and full of spam, pyramid schemes and the like. Why anyone
> would even seek advice here is beyond my comprehension. The blind
> leading the blind.

05lightning

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
So, the moral of the story is... (prices used are for hp12A)

1. Professionally re-manufactured cartridges are about $50.
2. you can get an extra cycle if you refill for about $15-20
3. If you're lucky, you may be able to get a total of 2-3 refill cycles out of a cartrige.
4. When the cartridge does fail, you can't turn it into the reman people to get a professionally re-manufactured one, so you're stuck buying a new one for $70.
5. Going through all this may save you about $20-40, or you may break even. it is unlikely, but possible that you would actually lose money.

sounds pretty logical to me.

(not my own experience, just distilling the good info out of the flame war)

2 more questions for dani:

1. Do these legit suppliers of drums, wipers, and toner actually allow you to buy a little at a time?
2. Can't I just drill a hole in the waste tank every once in a while?

I'm seriously considering re-assembling my cartridges myself, but i may be out of luck since HP12As seem impossible to take apart. Anyone had any experience?

sircorey

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Dani, I actually appreciate what advice you had to offer as I am in the market for a decent laser printer for home use ($150 - $250). My experience with HP printers in particular is the replacement toner cartridges are just as expensive as the printers themselves and so I was looking at toner kit costs/pros/cons to get a better understanding of cost of ownership/maint. etc.

It was also interesting to know about the waste bin issue and drum wear and I would like to know what I'm getting into in rebuilding my own cartridge and emptying the waste bin.

Anybody out there can give a recommendation on a low budget laser printer with low toner refill cost?

bjrjar

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Don't overlook the Brother HL-2270 DW. I have ahd good experience with mine, and the toner cartridges are more reasonable in price than many others.

erpp

As to trying to remanufacture the cartridges yoursel, you might try the following link. I used it for an HP 15A cartridge, and it seemed to be pretty accurate. I did not go through the whole procedure, just wanted to find the plug to refill the cartridge. Good luck. There alre also some videos in YouTube that could be helpful.

http://www.uninetimaging.com/US/EN/support/technical.aspx

Siva Sala

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I don't know about UK and america but in India one new cartridge for laser printer costs me about 2500 Rs but i am getting toner powder for only 120 Rs so if u ask me it is worth a try.

I tried it with my Samsung ML-1666 printer and i got a pretty good print from my first refill even though the quality is low but it is fine with me as i just need my printout for reading notes and other home use applications so if cost is a problem i say u can go for it.

But if you are a office user you need quality and cost is not a problem then u can go for a new cartridge.