Toner Refill Kits (do they work?)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 29, 2005 8:16:09 PM

I have seen these toner refill kits that use a tool to melt a hole in
the cartridge. Do they work? Is it a messy job?
http://www.universalrefill.net

More about : toner refill kits work

March 31, 2005 3:11:06 PM

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have seen these toner refill kits that use a tool to melt a hole in
> the cartridge. Do they work? Is it a messy job?
> http://www.universalrefill.net

Been refilling my laser printers for years and they work.
Can be a bit messy first time but no problem next time and good savings.
April 3, 2005 4:30:10 AM

Rip-off. First of all the cartridges have a waste toner bin that pretty
much fills up on the first cycle. Anything more than that and the toner
has to go somewhere. Guess where that is? Kits don't allow for removing
this toner. Then there's the wear on the drum and wiper blade. These
are items that are replaced by quality remanufacturers. Then here's the
shocker $20+ for a bottle of toner that costs less than $5, they're
laughing all the way to the bank. Oh by the way, most toner bins have a
removable cap. Why are we burning a hole in the cartridge?
Related resources
April 3, 2005 1:28:55 PM

I have been refilling three laser printers for years and on average you can
refill each cartridge three times then better to buy a new cartridge. The
toner suppliers give instructions if you want to refill more than three
times but involves a lot of mess.

My cartridges vary in that some have a removable cap but some you need to
make a hole.

I use printers without a drum.

My savings are two thirds which to me is well worth it but it could be the
UK toner suppliers that I use are pretty good. I have always found them to
be.

<Dani@spamtothehand.com> wrote in message
> Rip-off. First of all the cartridges have a waste toner bin that pretty
> much fills up on the first cycle. Anything more than that and the toner
> has to go somewhere. Guess where that is? Kits don't allow for removing
> this toner. Then there's the wear on the drum and wiper blade. These
> are items that are replaced by quality remanufacturers. Then here's the
> shocker $20+ for a bottle of toner that costs less than $5, they're
> laughing all the way to the bank. Oh by the way, most toner bins have a
> removable cap. Why are we burning a hole in the cartridge?

April 3, 2005 8:42:33 PM

Ken wrote:
> I have been refilling three laser printers for years and on average
you can
> refill each cartridge three times then better to buy a new cartridge.
The
> toner suppliers give instructions if you want to refill more than
three
> times but involves a lot of mess.
>

> My cartridges vary in that some have a removable cap but some you
need to
> make a hole.
>

> I use printers without a drum.
>

> My savings are two thirds which to me is well worth it but it could
be the
> UK toner suppliers that I use are pretty good. I have always found
them to
> be.

Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to drum
wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
cycle depending on cartridge model. Then there is the question of where
all the waste toner is going to be stored since you're not emptying the
waste bin at all. Either you don't care at all about print quality, you
are exagerating or you're one of the people selling these over-priced
refill kits. Having been in the remanufacturing industry for over 15
years, I know cartridges inside and out. Notice I'm not trying to sell
anything and you're the one pushing these dubious refill kits. Here's a
question for you. If these kits are so great, why does one of the
sellers advise to only pour in 1/3 of a bottle at a time? Seems to me
he is trying to appear like he's looking out for the customer's best
interests, but in reality he's expecting the cartridge to fail. Of
course if it does, you can buy an overpriced empty from him. Gotta love
it. Check it out yourself http://tonerrefillkits.com I'm not endorsing
this guy as I consider him one of the aforementioned profiteers. Did I
mention that toner is readily available for less than 1/4 the price
these refillers are charging. Check out this site
http://fixyourownprinter.com In the reference section there are FREE
remanufacturing instructions for rebuilding these cartridges. There are
also links to periodicals where you can source the toners, blades and
drums. You can actually rebuild it the right way for about the price of
one of those overpriced refill kits.

> <Dani@spamtothehand.com> wrote in message
> > Rip-off. First of all the cartridges have a waste toner bin that
pretty
> > much fills up on the first cycle. Anything more than that and the
toner
> > has to go somewhere. Guess where that is? Kits don't allow for
removing
> > this toner. Then there's the wear on the drum and wiper blade.
These
> > are items that are replaced by quality remanufacturers. Then here's
the
> > shocker $20+ for a bottle of toner that costs less than $5, they're
> > laughing all the way to the bank. Oh by the way, most toner bins
have a
> > removable cap. Why are we burning a hole in the cartridge?

April 4, 2005 7:30:35 PM

....> Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to drum
> wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
> cycle depending on cartridge model.

Interesting comment since Ken just said on average he gets three good
refills from each cart.
April 4, 2005 9:39:39 PM

"GB" <guy@dilithiumNO_SPAM.com.au> wrote in message
> <Dani@spamtothehand.com> wrote in message
> ...> Print quality will noticeably degrade after the first cycle due to
> drum
>> wear. Wiper blade and or drum failure will occur in the second or third
>> cycle depending on cartridge model.
>
> Interesting comment since Ken just said on average he gets three good
> refills from each cart.

Yes I do get three good refills and I am very fussy as to maintaining the
quality and I have no connection with the company I buy the refills from It
is in the UK. When I first bought it was on suggestion from a business
associate and he has used the company for a lot longer than me.

For goodness sake I don't need some clever dick telling me about drums and
wiper blades. I know what I am doing and it suits me fine.

Ken
April 4, 2005 11:41:26 PM

That's what I love about this ng, a bunch of clueless hacks giving out
advice based solely on the fact they own a printer. There's so much bad
advice, that when a sane, competent tech tries to tell it how it really
is, he's lost in the moronitude. Then there's the fact it's totally
unmoderated and full of spam, pyramid schemes and the like. Why anyone
would even seek advice here is beyond my comprehension. The blind
leading the blind.
April 5, 2005 11:52:40 AM

WHAT A TWIT YOU ARE SIR

> That's what I love about this ng, a bunch of clueless hacks giving out
> advice based solely on the fact they own a printer. There's so much bad
> advice, that when a sane, competent tech tries to tell it how it really
> is, he's lost in the moronitude. Then there's the fact it's totally
> unmoderated and full of spam, pyramid schemes and the like. Why anyone
> would even seek advice here is beyond my comprehension. The blind
> leading the blind.

June 24, 2011 4:42:47 PM

So, the moral of the story is... (prices used are for hp12A)

1. Professionally re-manufactured cartridges are about $50.
2. you can get an extra cycle if you refill for about $15-20
3. If you're lucky, you may be able to get a total of 2-3 refill cycles out of a cartrige.
4. When the cartridge does fail, you can't turn it into the reman people to get a professionally re-manufactured one, so you're stuck buying a new one for $70.
5. Going through all this may save you about $20-40, or you may break even. it is unlikely, but possible that you would actually lose money.

sounds pretty logical to me.

(not my own experience, just distilling the good info out of the flame war)

2 more questions for dani:

1. Do these legit suppliers of drums, wipers, and toner actually allow you to buy a little at a time?
2. Can't I just drill a hole in the waste tank every once in a while?

I'm seriously considering re-assembling my cartridges myself, but i may be out of luck since HP12As seem impossible to take apart. Anyone had any experience?
August 28, 2011 10:57:01 AM

dani said:

That's what I love about this ng, a bunch of clueless hacks giving out
advice based solely on the fact they own a printer. There's so much bad
advice, that when a sane, competent tech tries to tell it how it really
is, he's lost in the moronitude. Then there's the fact it's totally
unmoderated and full of spam, pyramid schemes and the like. Why anyone
would even seek advice here is beyond my comprehension. The blind
leading the blind.

Dani, I actually appreciate what advice you had to offer as I am in the market for a decent laser printer for home use ($150 - $250). My experience with HP printers in particular is the replacement toner cartridges are just as expensive as the printers themselves and so I was looking at toner kit costs/pros/cons to get a better understanding of cost of ownership/maint. etc.

It was also interesting to know about the waste bin issue and drum wear and I would like to know what I'm getting into in rebuilding my own cartridge and emptying the waste bin.

Anybody out there can give a recommendation on a low budget laser printer with low toner refill cost?
October 5, 2011 2:32:03 AM

sircorey said:
Dani, I actually appreciate what advice you had to offer as I am in the market for a decent laser printer for home use ($150 - $250). My experience with HP printers in particular is the replacement toner cartridges are just as expensive as the printers themselves and so I was looking at toner kit costs/pros/cons to get a better understanding of cost of ownership/maint. etc.

It was also interesting to know about the waste bin issue and drum wear and I would like to know what I'm getting into in rebuilding my own cartridge and emptying the waste bin.

Anybody out there can give a recommendation on a low budget laser printer with low toner refill cost?

Don't overlook the Brother HL-2270 DW. I have ahd good experience with mine, and the toner cartridges are more reasonable in price than many others.
October 7, 2011 6:49:55 PM

05lightning said:
[...]

As to trying to remanufacture the cartridges yoursel, you might try the following link. I used it for an HP 15A cartridge, and it seemed to be pretty accurate. I did not go through the whole procedure, just wanted to find the plug to refill the cartridge. Good luck. There alre also some videos in YouTube that could be helpful.

http://www.uninetimaging.com/US/EN/support/technical.as...
September 7, 2013 7:06:03 AM

erpp said:
05lightning said:
[...]

my opinion is hp is more useable and cheap printer , you can choose a printer which one is hp

www.izmirtonerizmir.com
!