ewallet vs Tombo for data storage ?

November 21, 2004 2:26:56 PM

Now that Tombo 1.13 has "filename obfuscation" function, what is the
benefit of using eWallet over Tombo for sensitive information storage
?

Here's what I came up with:

eWallet

+ AutoPass fills in password & username in web page with a mouse click
+ Various card types
+ icing on the cake (icons, graphics, etc)
- expen$ive
- large footprint
- I think the encryption algorythm that they use (RC-4 with 128 bit
key) is weaker than Tombo's AES

Tombo

+ Freebie both desktop and PPC
+ Smaller
+ Doubles as a notepad
+ AES
+ Developer is extremely open to user suggestions
- No Autopass
- No "icing"

Both have timeout feature.

I don't really care much for "icing" so to me, AutoPass is the only
feature that I may consider to be better. The question is, is it
making filling in user info more secure ? It seems to bypass Windows'
clipboard when auto filling in login info.

Any opinions on the relative security of these two packages ?
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:35:17 PM

It depends on what you need to store in my view. If you are indeed storing
information that you would store in a physical wallet (credit cards, SS
Card, PIN numbers, etc) the eWallet, I would think, would be better.
However, Tombo is great for notes and general information.

My .02! :-D

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor-in-Chief

"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote in message
> Now that Tombo 1.13 has "filename obfuscation" function, what is the
> benefit of using eWallet over Tombo for sensitive information storage
> ?
>
> Here's what I came up with:
>
> eWallet
>
> + AutoPass fills in password & username in web page with a mouse click
> + Various card types
> + icing on the cake (icons, graphics, etc)
> - expen$ive
> - large footprint
> - I think the encryption algorythm that they use (RC-4 with 128 bit
> key) is weaker than Tombo's AES
>
> Tombo
>
> + Freebie both desktop and PPC
> + Smaller
> + Doubles as a notepad
> + AES
> + Developer is extremely open to user suggestions
> - No Autopass
> - No "icing"
>
> Both have timeout feature.
>
> I don't really care much for "icing" so to me, AutoPass is the only
> feature that I may consider to be better. The question is, is it
> making filling in user info more secure ? It seems to bypass Windows'
> clipboard when auto filling in login info.
>
> Any opinions on the relative security of these two packages ?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:42:10 AM

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in message news:<uMaogmA0EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> It depends on what you need to store in my view. If you are indeed storing
> information that you would store in a physical wallet (credit cards, SS
> Card, PIN numbers, etc) the eWallet, I would think, would be better.
> However, Tombo is great for notes and general information.
>
> My .02! :-D

Better meaning "more secure" or "more convenient" ?

BTW I was wrong in original posting - Tombo uses 128 bit Blowfish not
AES algorythm. Still, I think I read that this is stronger than 128
bit RC4 (although I am not a crypto expert)
November 22, 2004 3:02:35 PM

More convenient. From a security standpoint, RC4 is 128bit while Blowfish
is 64bit.

--

> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
> in message news:<uMaogmA0EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
>> It depends on what you need to store in my view. If you are indeed
>> storing
>> information that you would store in a physical wallet (credit cards, SS
>> Card, PIN numbers, etc) the eWallet, I would think, would be better.
>> However, Tombo is great for notes and general information.
>>
>> My .02! :-D
>>

> Better meaning "more secure" or "more convenient" ?
>
> BTW I was wrong in original posting - Tombo uses 128 bit Blowfish not
> AES algorythm. Still, I think I read that this is stronger than 128
> bit RC4 (although I am not a crypto expert)
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:46:48 PM

In article <uMaogmA0EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com says...

> It depends on what you need to store in my view. If you are indeed storing
> information that you would store in a physical wallet (credit cards, SS
> Card, PIN numbers, etc) the eWallet, I would think, would be better.
> However, Tombo is great for notes and general information.

I have just tried Tombo and found that its lack of structure is the
simplest way to allow me to have ANY structure I need. Really a good
(and free) program to store sensitive information that do not fit a
fixed scheme.

--

Kurgan

* Asportami la milza per rispondere in mail *
* Remove "MILZA" to email me *
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:30:51 PM

I highly recommend a free program called KeePass Password Safe.

You can download it here: http://keepass.sourceforge.net/

There is a Desktop PC version and a PocketPC version, and they can share the
same passwords database using activesync. (just store the password file in
your activesync directory).

Both Desktop and PPC versions are freeware.

The program has a huge number of features, and is actively being developed
the programmer:

a.. Highly encrypted databases
a.. Support of master passwords and key-disks
a.. Runs on all Windows operating systems and doesn't need to be installed
a.. Export password list to TXT, HTML, XML or CSV files
a.. Import from CSV and CodeWallet(Pro) TXT files
a.. Easy database transfer
a.. Support of password groups
a.. Time fields support
a.. Auto-type and drag-n-Drop support
a.. Fast copy fields to the Windows clipboard
a.. Searching and sorting
a.. Multi-language translation support
a.. Strong random password generator
a.. Low memory requirement
a.. Open-Source!

I have been using it for several months , and I love it!

Go to the above link, and view a few screenshots. You will LIKE what you
see! : )
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:52:39 PM

In article <#pWWHVR0EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, rd100
_online@yahoo.com says...

> I highly recommend a free program called KeePass Password Safe.

Good if you just need to store single passwords, but I prefer the "free
text note" approach of Tombo. I have already tried CodeWallet Pro that
uses fixed fields, and I don't like it. Obviously, YMMV.

--

Kurgan

* Asportami la milza per rispondere in mail *
* Remove "MILZA" to email me *
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:52:40 PM

KeePass has a location for storing notes as well. It can store Title,
Website URL, USER-ID, Password, and a free-form notes field.

You can also organize you KeePass data into groups, which are listed in a
tree-structure, to make them easier to find.

They didn't miss anything in KeePass !!! : )

It is probably the best Password utility you can find. And even better
because it is FREE !!!

"Fabio Muzzi" <kurganMILZA@kurgan.org> wrote in message
> In article <#pWWHVR0EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, rd100
> _online@yahoo.com says...
>

> > I highly recommend a free program called KeePass Password Safe.
>
> Good if you just need to store single passwords, but I prefer the "free
> text note" approach of Tombo. I have already tried CodeWallet Pro that
> uses fixed fields, and I don't like it. Obviously, YMMV.
>

> --
>
> Kurgan
>
> * Asportami la milza per rispondere in mail *
> * Remove "MILZA" to email me *
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:32:49 PM

"RD100" <rd100_online@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<umB#vHb0EHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> KeePass has a location for storing notes as well. It can store Title,
> Website URL, USER-ID, Password, and a free-form notes field.
>
> You can also organize you KeePass data into groups, which are listed in a
> tree-structure, to make them easier to find.
>
> They didn't miss anything in KeePass !!! : )
>
> It is probably the best Password utility you can find. And even better
> because it is FREE !!!
>
> "Fabio Muzzi" <kurganMILZA@kurgan.org> wrote in message
> > In article <#pWWHVR0EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, rd100
> > _online@yahoo.com says...
> >

> > > I highly recommend a free program called KeePass Password Safe.
> >
> > Good if you just need to store single passwords, but I prefer the "free
> > text note" approach of Tombo. I have already tried CodeWallet Pro that
> > uses fixed fields, and I don't like it. Obviously, YMMV.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kurgan
> >
> > * Asportami la milza per rispondere in mail *
> > * Remove "MILZA" to email me *

Well, the PPC version of KeePass is rather limited and entries are
sometimes hard to read because there's no word wrap in most fields in
Edit mode.

Also, there's no timeout feature.

OTOH, the desktop version has many powerful features that are very
promising. It seems to have something similar to EW's Autopass.

I believe the PPC version is being developed by a different person
than PC version.

I also completely agree that a freeform app is much more convenient;
however, KeePass may be used in a "fake freeform" mode by using the
Notes field extensively.

Anyway, for now the decision for me is even harder to make (that's a
good thing). KeePass is just as good as Tombo, overall (better on PC
but not as good on PPC) and both are free and better than eWallet,
IMHO. I tend to lean more toward KeePass because of the features that
PC version has. I'll keep Tombo for notes. Both are small and together
take little space.

I would like to thank everyone who replied, hope this thread helps
other people as well.
!