baran311

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I just built a new PC and had a temp question.

Specs:

Asus A8N SLi
AMD A64 3200+ (not OC'd)
7600GT 256MB

CPU
Idle temps are around 47-48* C
Heavy Load temps increase to around 52-53* C

Chipset stays around 48-50*C

Does this seem normal or is it running hot?

Also, is there a way with to check on the GPU temp?

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
I have a Venice 3500, about 26 case, and 35 idle, using stock heatsink and cooler. It goes up to 44 when I've been crunching a video file or two.

I only put it in a few days ago, and remembering the trouble I had installing the damn thing, are you sure the heatsink is on properly and the thermal pad is on? The instructions go on about paste, but I just used the jelly type stuff on there and had no trouble...yet. I hope the 3200 heatsink doesn't put the stress and pressure on the motherboard that I had to. What a freakin' nightmare. You'd have thought they'd have designed easier ways to put them on. My Athlon XP was much easier (rant, rave).

Some cards have a GPU sensor built on, my x800pro does, and I can use ATI tool and others to check on it, and have it displayed in the taskbar. There must be something like that for nVidia.

I would say it's a little hot, is your case OK? I have a side fan, top fan, GPU fan, processor fan, PS fan, in el cheapo case.

Tell us where your fans are and what kind of case you have (plastic / aluminium etc).

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
1-First, alway check by touch, never trust those stupid sensors. We're in 2006 and they still haven't learned to make them right.

2-Ensure your case has proper ventilation (good openings) and possibly aid them with an additional fan (it's helped me a lot with mine)

3-Make sure some thermal interface material was applied on your CPU and if it was done correctly.