serious boot up prob.

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
hey whenever i shut down my pc for the night and boot it back up i get passed the ASUS Bios screen but whiel the pc is recognizing all of the primary, secondary, and usb drives and the end i hear a beep for every interferences. the interference is:
keyboard/interface eroor
floppy controller failure
overclocking failed! please enter setup to reconfig system
chassis intruded
fatal error.... sytemed halted.
my computer then does not boot up so i restart it but same thing happens. then i switch off the psu and switch it back on boot up but get the same problem.. it takes over 30-50 mintues to finally get it booted up. i ran a disk check last week and it found some corrupted files and fixed them. but it still happens. i am also trying to avoid reinstalling wondows as thjis will be the 5th time i will have to do so. this is EXTREMELY annoying. thx for replies. i think it may have to do with the psu i have- OKIA 600 watt

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
1. Reset motherboard CMOS.

2. Try a different PSU.

3. Change motherboard.

Doesn't sound like anything to do with windows if you can't even get past POST.

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
no i have a
ASUSA8R-MVP
AMD 3800 x2
ATI X1800 XT 512mb
1gb ddr 333(upgrading to 2gb g. skill 2-2-3-5)
seagate barracuda 300 gb
creative x-fi extrememusic
OKIA 600 watt

i think itas the psu seeing i got it for 20$ and OKIA is very unreliable

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ya i already reset the CMOS
took battery out
placed CMOS jumper on other 2 pins for 30 seconds
placed CMOS back in orignal position
poot battery back
it did not help at all!
could it be the HDD has currupted files? could i use the winodws xp setup cd to fixboot any currupted files perhaps

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Well, looks like it's

a) a bad motherboard

or

b) a bad power supply

but I'd go for a).

Is your motherboard new?
Old?

If your computer can't get past the motherboard tests, it doesn't matter what's on the hard drive or not, because it never gets that far.

Solution...
Get a new motherboard?

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
He must have some very good friends if they let him use their computer as a guinea pig to test a PSU that may be going south and messing up his PC.

I'd maybe lend my PSU, but that would be it. No way would I risk my components on a potentially bad PSU.

Am I a bad person?

sailer

Splendid
ya i already reset the CMOS
took battery out
placed CMOS jumper on other 2 pins for 30 seconds
placed CMOS back in orignal position
poot battery back
it did not help at all!
could it be the HDD has currupted files? could i use the winodws xp setup cd to fixboot any currupted files perhaps

A couple things. In your first post, you wrote that one of the error ws an "overclock failed! please reconfigure the system". I'm giong to assume that you have indeed overclocked something. If so, first chance you get, go into the BIOS and set the overclocked stuff to "Auto", then try to start up the system and see what happens. There's always a chance that something got fried, like a CPU, some ram, a video card, or something else.

After that, the main suspects are the motherboard and the PSU. Since you have a cheap PSU, you should probably replace it whether or not its really bad. Find an Antec, Seasonic, or good brand in the 400-500 wt range. Like someone already wrote, whether or not you got a problem with your HDD doesn't matter at this point. Get the machine to start, then look for errors elsewhere.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
My Asus motherboard has a auto bad overclock reset, so perhaps part of the frying of the motherboard has made it think he was overclocking it, even if he wasn't.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
if possible take the hdd, video card, memory module...and check them on a friend`s computer.......
this way you`ll live the mobo as the only posible problem...

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ok thx for replies but i am on the pc right now that is having the problems, only during random times am i able to finally get passed the bios checkup post with the errors. it takes over 40 minutes until i an finally get my pc running. its mostly out of luck that i get it up and running. this is getting really frustrating for me. so it cant be the HDD then right since it wont even get past the bios check screen which has nothing to do with the bios. i am pretty sure it isnt the GPU seeing as this isnt really related. its not the memory RAM beacause ive already tested it out. so that only really leaves the PSU or mobo. i think it may be the mobo seeing as my PSU never did give me any probs b4 for the last 6 months, but just in case i will switxch out the 600 watt psu for a 450 watt psu i have laying around to make sure. but if it is infact the mobo that is the problem, should i
1. RMA the mobo
2. or buy the A8R32-MVP mobo instead and upgrade my GPU from 1800 xt to x1900 xtx?
just some recommendations from you guys on what you may think. THANKS again

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
RMA the mobo.

conroe is coming and that ASUS board is 939 i believe....correct me plz.

so RMA is and keep ur gfx card. u can later grab a DX 10 gfx card

sailer

Splendid
My Asus motherboard has a auto bad overclock reset, so perhaps part of the frying of the motherboard has made it think he was overclocking it, even if he wasn't.

That's possible. Just one more thing to toss into the mix of "What's wrong with this thing?" As I said, I was making an assumption, which might or might not be true. Assumptions have that way of being something else entirely.