Laser vs dot matrix, which one is more cost-effective for ..

Hi all,
In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
printer.
Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
than normal office usage such as image printing.
So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
Any idea anybody? TIA.
9 answers Last reply
More about laser matrix cost effective

    Gasoline is just too expensive. Going up every week. Give up your car
    and get a horse and buggy. It is cheaper to run.

    "Terrified Terry" <izzy.just.izzy@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    >now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    >covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    >printer.
    >Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    >the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    >a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    >budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    >than normal office usage such as image printing.
    >So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    >LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    >how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    >LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    >Any idea anybody? TIA.

    How many pages are you printing per month (e.g.how long does the
    average toner cartridge last)?

    Can you really afford the increased noise, slower printing, and
    reduced print quality of a dot matrix printer?
    - Dot matrix printers offer a 150 dpi print quality at best, compared
    to the 600 dpi you get with your laser.
    - A dot matrix printer would have to print over 800 characters per
    second in order to match the 25 page per minute output of the laser
    printer.

    And if your 4100N is connected directly to your office network then
    you are going to have the additional complications of configuring a
    computer to act as the print server for the dot matrix.

    I think that this is an instance of being "penny wise and dollar
    foolish".

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Terrified Terry wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    > now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    > covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    > printer.
    > Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    > the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    > a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    > budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    > than normal office usage such as image printing.
    > So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    > LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    > how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    > LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    > Any idea anybody? TIA.

    Whether you want to print images or not, a dotmatrix printer will not
    provide the quality and hence the image that you want to present to your
    customers etc. Avoid it, is my advice.

    A laser with toner replacement (ie, not the toner + drum cartridge) will
    provide the lowest cost, general purpose printing bar none. If you do
    not have that type of laser printer, you should investigate cost of
    ownership for a new one. Acquistion cost may be higher than for the
    cartridge style laser printer, but over the printer's life, costs are
    lower, even with a service contract and relatively low usage (ie below
    about 1,000 pages/month).

    As another poster noted, dotmatrix is sometimes used for carbon copies,
    but IMO they aren't any better for that - it's just as easy to rpint
    multiple copies of a page as to print a carbon, and may even be cheaper,
    considering the prices of multi-part carbon paper these days.

    I wouldn't think so. They only place I see dot matrix being used is in
    printing carbon duplicate invoices etc where it uses the impact to make
    multiple copies. I'd bet the ink ribbons wouldn't be cheap to maintain
    either.

    Have you considered after market toner refills? I don't really use enough
    toner to worry about it myself so I can't offer specific advice.

    "Terrified Terry" <izzy.just.izzy@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    > now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    > covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    > printer.
    > Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    > the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    > a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    > budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    > than normal office usage such as image printing.
    > So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    > LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    > how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    > LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    > Any idea anybody? TIA.

    On 30 Mar 2005 01:06:01 -0800, "Terrified Terry"
    <izzy.just.izzy@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    >now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    >covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    >printer.
    >Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    >the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    >a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    >budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    >than normal office usage such as image printing.
    >So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    >LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    >how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    >LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    >Any idea anybody? TIA.

    Stick with the laser. If necessary buy a new laser if the costs over
    time will work out cheaper. A dot matrix is only really useful for
    multipart invoices. Otherwise they're legacy devices which go wrong a
    lot more often.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    Terrified Terry <izzy.just.izzy@gmail.com> wrote:

    > So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    > LaserJet 4100N?

    No. Cheap impact printers are slow, and fast impact printers are
    expensive and prone to breakage.

    And then there's print quality.

    And print speed.

    And noise.

    > FYI the LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.

    HP rates the C8061A toner for 6000 pages. But you should be buying the
    C8061X, which is rated at 10,000 pages.

    At HP's prices, the per-page costs work out to

    C8061A 1.65 cents

    C8061X 1.29 cents

    That looks like 22% savings. Given your 15% increase, you'll still save
    7% over what you used to pay.

    Thanks a lot for replying.

    GB wrote:
    > I wouldn't think so. They only place I see dot matrix being used is
    in
    > printing carbon duplicate invoices etc where it uses the impact to
    make
    > multiple copies. I'd bet the ink ribbons wouldn't be cheap to
    maintain
    > either.
    >
    > Have you considered after market toner refills? I don't really use
    enough
    > toner to worry about it myself so I can't offer specific advice.

    Well till yesterday we did not, the refiller guy we contacted today
    says it will cost only 1/5th of buying a new toner. But since this is
    an expensive printer - we are wondering if using refilled ones will
    damange the printer or not.

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:28:41 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Gasoline is just too expensive. Going up every week. Give up your car
    >and get a horse and buggy. It is cheaper to run.
    >
    >Terrified Terry wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    >>now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    >>covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    >>printer.
    >>Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    >>the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    >>a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    >>budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    >>than normal office usage such as image printing.
    >>So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    >>LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    >>how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    >>LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    >>Any idea anybody? TIA.

    Dot Matrix printers are used a lot for Sales Dockets etc, on continuous flow
    paper.

    They are Very Noisy slow and produce bad print outs.

    A Laser is the Only way to go, the cheapest printer to run..

    The two most popular POS printers are dot matrix and thermal matrix.
    The thermal use special paper pretty much identical to the old thermal
    paper used in fax machines.

    The advantage of the thermal is that there is no "ink" or ribbon
    required. The head pins heat and darken the special surface of the
    paper. It is fast, and relatively cheap (all the consumable cost is the
    paper) and it is very quiet and reliable.

    The disadvantages are that the chemical reaction tends to not be
    permanent. The image tends to fade fairly rapidly, especially in sun,
    it requires the special coated paper, the paper has a slick feel to it
    and it tends to remain curled. If it gets wet, hot etc, it can easily
    become unreadable. It is not good for multiple copies (each needs to be
    printed individually).

    The second type is dot matrix. The main advantage is that multiple
    copies, up to 3 or even 4 thicknesses can be printed on "carbonless"
    paper at the same time, The top copy is usually printed with an ink
    ribbon, which is fairly permanent. The copies may be less so, depending
    upon the type of chemistry used in the paper.

    Costs can be higher, because they require an inked ribbon, are less
    reliable due to the mechanical aspect of the head, they tend to be noisy
    and can be slow (however time is made up by multiple copies printed at
    one time), and are usually fairly low resolution, so forms are usually
    preprinted and the information is filled into the form.

    Replacing the ink ribbon sometimes is complex or time consuming in a
    retail environment, and is usually left to off hours. The carbonless
    paper chemistry may have an odor and may not be fully environmentally
    safe. Some recyclers don't like it added to waste paper. The copies
    are subject to physical damage from creasing or pressure.

    If the forms need to updated or altered, there may be a lot of waste to
    toss out, and programing the dot matrix printer to new forms may be time
    consuming or costly. If using continuous tractor feed paper, they can
    sometimes go out of alignment and the printing will not be entered in
    the correct place. Sometimes the rear copies will not align with the
    front copy, making them difficult to read.

    Laser printers cannot print multiple copies at once, but they can be
    programmed easily to print filled in forms in serial. So, copies can be
    printed in a row. The printer can also produce high resolution output,
    and can print the form at the same time as the unique information. They
    use regular paper, and can handle both white and colored without
    problems. Attached to a computer, the unique information can be held in
    a database for printing after hours, if required, since printing 3 or
    four copies may be too slow during the retail day. Preprinted forms
    could be used if it will speed the process, or if a great deal of
    information needs to be printed, or colored inks are required. In
    general, laser printers have poorer alignment (registration) than a
    tractor feed dot matrix. Laser copies are pretty much fade-free.

    Cost of laser printers can be cut considerably by using refill or 3rd
    party cartridges. In most cases these will be of nearly equivalent
    quality, and will be guaranteed by reputable companies. Most cartridges
    which incorporate the image drum are good for several refills before the
    drum ages enough to make the image degraded, some can be replaced or
    recoated. Laser printers may produce some ozone in a contained environment.

    Art

    BILL wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:28:41 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Gasoline is just too expensive. Going up every week. Give up your car
    >>and get a horse and buggy. It is cheaper to run.
    >>
    >>Terrified Terry wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all,
    >>>In our office we have a HP LaserJet 4100N operating for about 4 years
    >>>now. There was one slight problem since we bought - but the warranty
    >>>covered that. Since then there is no problem whatsoever with the
    >>>printer.
    >>>Now recently the toner price has gone up for about 15% in the part of
    >>>the globe where the office is located. We are now considering if buying
    >>>a dot matrix printer and using it could have proven more
    >>>budget-friendly or not. We do not use the printer for anything other
    >>>than normal office usage such as image printing.
    >>>So is using a dot matrix printer is more cost-effective than using
    >>>LaserJet 4100N? If yes, which dot matrix printer should we go for and
    >>>how can we find out how many pages can each ribbon print, FYI the
    >>>LaserJet toner covers up to 5000 pages each.
    >>>Any idea anybody? TIA.
    >>>

    > Dot Matrix printers are used a lot for Sales Dockets etc, on continuous flow
    > paper.
    >
    > They are Very Noisy slow and produce bad print outs.
    >

    > A Laser is the Only way to go, the cheapest printer to run..

Printers Hewlett Packard Matrix Laserjet Office Peripherals