Sign in with
Your question

Affordable laptop for student.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 15, 2006 11:58:17 PM

Well, here is the thing: I've been building home-built systems for the last ten years or so. In the fall, I'm back to becoming a student, and my college courses will all be online.

I need a laptop that will allow me to work on my studies, no matter where I go. I have a laptop right now, it's my girlfriend's Emachine laptop (I know, ugh). Surprise, surprise, it's failing, and at the end of it's life. I don't know where to start for a replacement (My realm is in homebuilt PCs, not laptops).

I'm unfamiliar with current mobile CPUs, preferred brands, or prices.

I need something that will let me do school work, but will be flexable to play games on, as every college kid on the go neads a break now and again.

Advice?
June 16, 2006 2:31:49 PM

Lot's of choices out there, just wait for a sale. You may get a good deal through the school, so check there first. All the CPU's will be strong enough. Just get at least 1GB of RAM, 2 would be better ($$). Both ATI and nvidia have mobile versions of some of their more powerful cards. Anything above a 6800 class GPU will let you game well, and after that it just depends on how much you're willing to spend, and the weight & battery spec's. Just accept that no laptop can match a desktop for performance, so you aren't disappointed.

This link is old but it's a start:
http://www.laptopadvisor.com/gaming-laptops.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Choose-The-Best-Gaming...

...Google around, and make sure you read user reviews. Also, don't forget places like Staples, OfficeMax, etc. which can have some very good deals on occasion.
June 16, 2006 3:47:59 PM

Dell are doing decent laptops for $499.
If you want a basic Email/Internet/Office laptop then this one would be fine.

click me !

8)
Related resources
June 16, 2006 4:40:35 PM

How powerful do you need?

if u just want to do online studies /office applications, the cheapest new laptop will suffice perfectly. just be sure that is has at least 512 RAM

if you plan to use it for any amount of gaming then u will need to look at somethign like a dell E1505 or E1705, u can get those for >$1000, they have 15 and 17 inch screens respectively.
June 16, 2006 4:52:18 PM

Not that a $499 would work well for most games. How much to you want to play games, how much do you want to spend and how long do you expect it to play games? (also, waht type of games - FPS, MMORPG, RTS, Solitaire?)
If games are really important I would look at Asus or MSI laptops, but you'll pay for gaming in price. A $1500 laptop won't last NEARLY as long for gaming as a $1500 tower, not to mention the general inability to replace graphics cards in laptops.

Stay away from Celeron and Sempron models. I really don't see a need to ever buy these as for usually just $80 more you can at least get a Turion 64. The Core Duo is the fastest laptop processor out there - but will (most likely) be replaced after the back-to-school season

HP also has the dv5000 line that is similar to the E1XXX dell line. Some schools give discounts for dells, others hp. I personally hate Dell but both companies have their plusses. Stay away from Sony/Toshiba for gaming - they will be very expensive.
June 16, 2006 5:57:11 PM

Quote:
Toshiba Satellite P105-S921 It has a Core Duo and a GeForceGo 7900, along with a 160GB hard drive. It's $2000

Dell has core duo, 7900GS, dvd drive, bluetooth, 100GB hard drive 17" screen for $1300
June 16, 2006 6:27:10 PM

Quote:
Toshiba Satellite P105-S921 It has a Core Duo and a GeForceGo 7900, along with a 160GB hard drive. It's $2000

Dell has core duo, 7900GS, dvd drive, bluetooth, 100GB hard drive 17" screen for $1300In that case, get the Dell. I'd rather get a 60GB 7200RPM hard drive than a 100GB 5400 RPM hard drive. I could never use all of that space; I'd rather have speed.
June 16, 2006 7:05:47 PM

Quote:

Dell has core duo, 7900GS, dvd drive, bluetooth, 100GB hard drive 17" screen for $1300

17" are a bit more difficult to carry around and take up more space but does make it easier to find a better graphics card. The battery life also isn't quite as good. Its a trade-off that the buyer will have to decide on
June 16, 2006 7:15:55 PM

Quote:

17" are a bit more difficult to carry around and take up more space but does make it easier to find a better graphics card. The battery life also isn't quite as good. Its a trade-off that the buyer will have to decide on

true, i have a dell 9300 and its 7.5 lbs, i hardly use it on the road though, i always have it plugged in whether at home or in school.
June 26, 2006 11:04:31 AM

Did anyone read the title of this post?

He wants information about AFFORDABLE laptops for online college courses. I would like to see what classes he is taking that require $1-2K gaming laptops.

Go with what Hubbardt said and check Dell, along with HP and other major companies. Here is one that would suit your needs well. Adding some more RAM would make a major difference.

NewEgg Laptop
!