Sign in with
Your question

What drivers do YOU use for ATi graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2006 12:05:13 AM

Long Version
As the title says i was wondering what drivers people use for their ATi cards. i was wondering because i know that not everyone prefers ATi's drivers and sometimes others perform better than ATi's. right now the only drivers i know that are offered for ATi cards are the Catalyst and Omega drivers but just was wondering which are perferred and/or offer better performance.

Short Version
1) Whats your ATi Card?

2) What Drivers do you use for it?

3) IYHO What are the best drivers out right now for ATi graphics cards?
June 16, 2006 1:11:02 AM

I used to have a x800 xt and a 9600 pro, sold both (big mistake). Anyways I'd use the latest control panels then when it was discontinued I used the display driver and ATi tray tools. I would also format when upgrading drivers and I never had a problem.
June 16, 2006 1:16:44 AM

I use the Omega drivers based on 6.3, now. :twisted:
With Ati WDM Integrated Driver.
Both Ati & Omega 6.5 gave me some minor glitches. :evil: 

Before than that I ran the older control panel 5.11, with the newer drivers.
Up to Ati 6.3 & WDM Integrated Driver, downloaded separatly.
This is for both the X800PRO (back in its' box) & X850XTPE.

When I had my Asus 9600XT, I just ran the Asus drivers.
Related resources
June 16, 2006 3:24:44 AM

Quote:
I use the Omega drivers based on 6.3, now. :twisted:
With Ati WDM Integrated Driver.
Both Ati & Omega 6.5 gave me some minor glitches. :evil: 

Before than that I ran the older control panel 5.11, with the newer drivers.
Up to Ati 6.3 & WDM Integrated Driver, downloaded separatly.
This is for both the X800PRO (back in its' box) & X850XTPE.

When I had my Asus 9600XT, I just ran the Asus drivers.

Right now i'm running an X1800XT with Catalyst 6.5 and i have had no minor glitches that i know of. Just wondering what problems/glitches your referring to. and lastly i noticed that either Tom's or some other review was actually using a Catalyst 6.6 Beta version, i was very shocked as i was wondering why they would use beta drivers in comparision test, and it was to my knowledge they were just using a X1900XT not in crossfire even
why would they use these beta drivers and where would they be available, i say this cause maybe they'll fix your minor glitches/ or add more :lol: 
June 16, 2006 4:30:54 AM

The desktop wallpaper wouldn't show out of native resolution. I have a 17" LCD.
When changed to native (stretch or centre), I had black bars around the picture.
I like my wallpapers so this annoyed me, & changed the drivers back.

Nothing major, only an annoyance.

The newer drivers might be better suited to the X1*00 cards than the older cards.
June 16, 2006 1:29:32 PM

I have a 9700 PRO, X1600 XT, X1800 XL, and X1900 XT. Always use the newest cataysts.
June 16, 2006 1:59:41 PM

I have an X600 :cry:  and I'm using the Catalyst 6.5 drivers.
June 16, 2006 2:10:50 PM

Has anyone used the Omega drivers? and would you recommend them? and do they give any performance increase?
June 16, 2006 2:34:40 PM

I have an x850XT been unsing it for awhile now. I've used Catalyst and Omega, and some specially optimized for BF2. I didn't really notice any diffrence in between them except for their control panels. Right now I'm running 6.5 with the CCC exempt from the installation, don't have any purpose for it really and I don't want to install .Net for it. If I ever get a second monitor I'll probably have to rethink that so I can have fun with the new settings.
June 16, 2006 2:36:14 PM

When I had my Saphire 9600xt I used the latest Omega drivers and was happy with the results. I never had any issues with them except when trying to OC, but I blame the card for that one...
June 16, 2006 2:37:02 PM

9600Pro256... :oops:  (waiting for the new cpus to change mobo...)
Omega based off Catalyst 6.3 - had some problems with 6.5 (Windows not recognizing card...), so I went back. Works for me, has more tweaks and settings, and also has a card overclock-tester and an in-game fps-counter.
June 16, 2006 2:58:19 PM

Card: R9700Pro

Cat Drivers: 5.4

Reason.. started losing significant performance in games on drivers 5.9 and above. 3dmark01SE on 5.4 was around 18k, and with like 6.3 it dropped down to 8k
June 16, 2006 3:15:28 PM

X1600 Pro 512 using Cat 6.5 now. Was a 9600 Pro 128 but I've always used ATi drivers without problems.
June 16, 2006 3:57:09 PM

I've two machines, one with an x800 the other has an x800xt. I use whatever catalyst driver is available when I install my system. Unless there's a major revision, most little driver tweaks don't help your pc too much. Unless I have a problem that the newer drivers fixes I don't find it worth the hassle to upgrade them.
Anyway, I guess I'm using 6.5 and 6.3 right now without any problems. I am getting an lcd next week, so we'll see if I have the same wallpaper problem.
June 16, 2006 4:21:08 PM

AntiHax0r,
Maybe you had the some problem as me.

And please if some one can back me up on this. And test this, other Ati cards may have the same problem.

Driver 5.3 runs fine 3dmark 2001 nature 100fps.

But other drivers like 5.7 and up run the same bench at just 60 fps.

There are some changes in Ati drivers that made my graphics card slower and I still don’t know why.

SOLUTION for using NEW drivers in High performance:
- Lower the Texture quality from High Quality to Quality and performance is good again (100fps on Nature). I will do some more tests with games benchmarks (Unreal 2003) and others to see.

I have also lowered the MIP MAP to Quality and enabled 8x AF and I don’t see differences in image quality.

If you could test this I appreciate because I think I’m not the only one with this problem.
!