AV Program for the Pocket PC?

November 21, 2004 8:28:33 PM

Hi There,

I have just purchased a new iPAQ 4150... after having been a Palm User for
years. I was just wondering if the Pocket PC was more susceptible to viruses
than Palm's, and if so, would anyone care to recommend a good AV Program for
the Pocket PC?

The ones I'm currrently looking at are from AirScanner, Kaspersky Labs and
Symantec. It appears the AirScanner version may be free, but I'm of the mind
that you get what you pay for. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the
Symantec version, if only because of their reputation and experience.

Anyone recommend a good AV Program for the Pocket PC with a relatively small
footprint?

--
~Nick Andriash~
Creston, B.C. Canada

More about : program pocket

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:12:23 PM

While I agree with the notion that "it never hurts..." one thing you might
consider before dropping $50.00 for a virus program for your PPC is.... what
harm could a virus really do to your PPC ?
While it is possible to have a virus attack your PPC, you can do a hard
reset (restore to factory condition) and re-load all of your programs in a
matter of minutes (in fact many users do this on a fairly regular basis
anyway, just to clean out the cobwebs) the other consideration would be a
virus that is transferred by means of your ppc to you your desktop, but if
your desktop virus software is up to date and running, this should not be a
problem either.
I am not encouraging anyone to avoid doing what they feel is necessary to
feel secure, but I think many users feel the need for a virus program for
the pocket platform doesn't justify the expense (yet).

"Nick Andriash" <andriash@uniserve.com> wrote in message
| Hi There,
|
| I have just purchased a new iPAQ 4150... after having been a Palm User for
| years. I was just wondering if the Pocket PC was more susceptible to
viruses
| than Palm's, and if so, would anyone care to recommend a good AV Program
for
| the Pocket PC?
|
| The ones I'm currrently looking at are from AirScanner, Kaspersky Labs and
| Symantec. It appears the AirScanner version may be free, but I'm of the
mind
| that you get what you pay for. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the
| Symantec version, if only because of their reputation and experience.
|
| Anyone recommend a good AV Program for the Pocket PC with a relatively
small
| footprint?
|
| --
| ~Nick Andriash~
| Creston, B.C. Canada

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:41:24 PM

Currently there are no viruses for this platform. A couple of concept trojan
horse and worms were developed, but not found in the field. Symantec works
ok, and you can check it on this page:

"Nick Andriash" <andriash@uniserve.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I have just purchased a new iPAQ 4150... after having been a Palm User for
> years. I was just wondering if the Pocket PC was more susceptible to
> viruses than Palm's, and if so, would anyone care to recommend a good AV
> Program for the Pocket PC?
>
> The ones I'm currrently looking at are from AirScanner, Kaspersky Labs and
> Symantec. It appears the AirScanner version may be free, but I'm of the
> mind that you get what you pay for. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the
> Symantec version, if only because of their reputation and experience.
>
> Anyone recommend a good AV Program for the Pocket PC with a relatively
> small footprint?
>
> --
> ~Nick Andriash~
> Creston, B.C. Canada

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:41:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at all the AV offerings, and although I
would trust Symantec, I find the price a little steep at $49 US.
Nevertheless, I will think about it because it never hurts to be proactive
when it comes to things like this.

Thanks again...

Nick

news:o KWnVuC0EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...