8-phase voltage regulation and Intel 975X chip HELP ME PLZ!!

latebeat

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hello there,
I'm new to this forum and I'm posting a message after reading the article on the the top of the range 975x. motherboards.

I'm trying to decide on what motherboard to get for overclocking an Intel pentium 805 D. :)

My questions are the following:

1. Is worth paying for the more expensive Aus P5WDG2-WS just for the 8-phase voltage regulation? What does it do exactly?

2. Both mobos say that they've got 2 PCIe slots of 16X speed. Are both of them JUST for the graphics cards? Are they backwards compatible with 8X, 4X and 1X?
I'm asking because the WS has only two 16x PCIe slots and no other. If that's the case and i can't install anything BUT graphics cards on them that *practically* means that the board doesnt have ANY PCIe expansions slots. I have a pci-x scsi raid board but still i would want the option to have at least 1 available pcie slot.

3. I liked the Gigabyte GA-G1975X but its ventilation system is too noisy. Can it be taken off without affecting performance or at least slow its speed down? Also I couldn't find what kind of voltage phase regulation it had?

Any help is greately appreciated!
thank you,
latebeat

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
the 8 phase power simply keeps current at a steady level without heavy spikes. and in theory has a faster response time to variations in load.

the work station board has 2 pci e X 16 2 x pci x and 2 pci 2.2 complient slots.
what more do you need?

linux_0

Splendid
Hello there,
I'm new to this forum and I'm posting a message after reading the article on the the top of the range 975x. motherboards.

I'm trying to decide on what motherboard to get for overclocking an Intel pentium 805 D. :)

My questions are the following:

1. Is worth paying for the more expensive Aus P5WDG2-WS just for the 8-phase voltage regulation? What does it do exactly?

2. Both mobos say that they've got 2 PCIe slots of 16X speed. Are both of them JUST for the graphics cards? Are they backwards compatible with 8X, 4X and 1X?
I'm asking because the WS has only two 16x PCIe slots and no other. If that's the case and i can't install anything BUT graphics cards on them that *practically* means that the board doesnt have ANY PCIe expansions slots. I have a pci-x scsi raid board but still i would want the option to have at least 1 available pcie slot.

3. I liked the Gigabyte GA-G1975X but its ventilation system is too noisy. Can it be taken off without affecting performance or at least slow its speed down? Also I couldn't find what kind of voltage phase regulation it had?

Any help is greately appreciated!
thank you,
latebeat

Please ignore the hype and either wait for con-roe[TM] or 65nm AMDs.

P4 based CPUs are terrible!

They run hot, consume a lot of power and underperform.

Besides all the nice 975XBX boards cost about $250!!!!!

$250 + 130 = $380

for that much you can get an X2 3800+ Dual Core and a nice motherboard or desktop Core CPU

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Amd 3800 + and good Asus mobo

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80721-1

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247022

= 481.99

D805 and good Asus 975X motherboard

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80849

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247059

= 352.99

the Intel 65nm runs cool and with proper hsf oc’s like nothing else.
The better D core will give you the results your looking for
The 805 might disappoint you performance wise and runs hotter than it should. you need expensive water cooling to maintain extreeme oc's

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
"1. Is worth paying for the more expensive Aus P5WDG2-WS just for the 8-phase voltage regulation? What does it do exactly?"

it's a real benefit, whether it's worth it depends on your budget. it delivers more stable power to the old CPU. and, maybe, the RAM benefits too.

"2. Both mobos say that they've got 2 PCIe slots of 16X speed. Are both of them JUST for the graphics cards? Are they backwards compatible with 8X, 4X and 1X?
I'm asking because the WS has only two 16x PCIe slots and no other. If that's the case and i can't install anything BUT graphics cards on them that *practically* means that the board doesnt have ANY PCIe expansions slots. I have a pci-x scsi raid board but still i would want the option to have at least 1 available pcie slot."

first i bought a SCSI-160 drive. then i bought an Adaptec SCSI-160 controller. then i realized i needed a board with PCI-X slots. then i bought a Tyan workstation motherboard. then i realized i needed a special power supply. then i bought a Xeon CPU, and a $200 workstation case. i didn't like that case so i kept the power supply and bought a 4U case. so the $200 SCSI drive ended up costing me over $1500.

but i still like PCI-X !!!

(sorry if i didn't answer your question #2)

"3. I liked the Gigabyte GA-G1975X but its ventilation system is too noisy. Can it be taken off without affecting performance or at least slow its speed down? Also I couldn't find what kind of voltage phase regulation it had?"

the shroud & fans on that particular motherboard are designed to cool the power-processing circuitry & maybe the northbridge, which i think mostly have heatsinks on them. you can take the shroud & fan off _IF_ you take care to cool the circuitry the shroud & fan cooled.

for example, the Zalman 7700 blasts air down & out the side, so it would cool that circuitry on the Gigabyte board. the Zalman 9500 has a different convection scheme, so you would need to selectively mount some case fans to make sure that circuitry gets cooled.

- - -

hope that helps.

i still got that old Xeon system for electric heating on cold winter days. until then i use it as a fruit bowl, it's sitting on top of the fridge.