need advice on new build

Menkhaf

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
i'm going to be building a new computer here pretty quick. i was looking for advice on which socket to use. either 939, or am2. i've heard that 939 is dead, and that it isn't dead. no matter what socket i use i'm going to use a x2 processor. take into consideration that on 24th july, athlon 64 x2 would drop 35% to 50% to against conroe, while athlon 64 would drop 20% to 30% to against pentium d. which would be the best thing to do in my situation? your advice is much appreciated.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
If I were you I'd go with AM2. Although it is rather new and does have some problems, which are paltry at most, it's more upgradable than 939. By the way, is there a spending limit on this new system?

mpjesse

Splendid
you might as well go with AM2.

AMD doesn't change sockets very often, which means you'll be left with a good upgrade path on AM2. No one knows for sure if K8L will be AM2 compatible, but there's a chance an AM2 version of it will be made.

the other advantage of course is DDR2 RAM. even if AMD decides to put K8L in a different socket format, your RAM will still be usable. K8L (at least for now) is using DDR2. so, basically all you would have to do is upgrade the mobo instead of mobo + RAM.