SP-2 and the annoying security center

a b 8 Security
September 25, 2004 1:31:15 AM

How do I get rid of that annoying security icon near the clock. It keeps
popping up telling me I don't have the firewall on but I do it just doesn't
recognize it. I am tired of clicking the x on the balloon.
TIA
Marty
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 25, 2004 1:31:16 AM

Open Control Panel, open Security Center, click "Change the way Security
Center Alerts me," remove the checks from the appropriate boxes.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Maritja Wolf" <mwolf2@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D m05d.7290$zA3.1582168@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> How do I get rid of that annoying security icon near the clock. It keeps
> popping up telling me I don't have the firewall on but I do it just
> doesn't recognize it. I am tired of clicking the x on the balloon.
> TIA
> Marty

September 26, 2004 9:34:30 AM

I have this problem too. I checked " I will monitor my
own firewall" and unchecked "firewall" in the alert me
box but everytime I re-boot it comes back on. How do I
make these changes permanently?

a b 8 Security
September 26, 2004 2:26:11 PM

Run-->Services.msc

Scroll down to Microsoft Security Service (I think that's what it's called).
Right click on it. Change to 'disable' and then 'apply'.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

--------------------------------
"Carol" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this problem too. I checked " I will monitor my
> own firewall" and unchecked "firewall" in the alert me
> box but everytime I re-boot it comes back on. How do I
> make these changes permanently?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 27, 2004 3:14:45 PM

Be sure you click OK when finished.

If that doesn't resolve it, be sure you have the latest updates for your
firewall as the system may be misreading the information from an older
application. If that doesn't resolve it, the next step would be to turn off
the Security Center Service. Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools,
open Services, scroll to Security Center, right click, select properties,
from the dropdown list under Startup Type, select "Disabled," click apply
and ok. When you reboot you should no longer have the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Carol" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this problem too. I checked " I will monitor my
> own firewall" and unchecked "firewall" in the alert me
> box but everytime I re-boot it comes back on. How do I
> make these changes permanently?

September 28, 2004 11:07:37 AM

Worked! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 28, 2004 3:51:05 PM

You are most welcome.:-)