Keeping and eye on a DesignJet 800ps

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good Afternoon,

We have a DesignJet 800ps on a network of about 20 Macs. Our office is
growing, and we want to move the plotter to a print room downstairs.
Unfortunately there wont be many people going in and out of the room to
see if the plotter has paper in it etc.

We want to have a workstation with a small flat-screen in the corner of
the drawing office, so that people walking round can monitor the queue
of drawings held in the plotter's memory, and be alerted if the paper
or inks run out. How do we achieve this?

My boss has said that we can buy a cheap PC for the task if it can't
be achieved on OS-X.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I work at an architecture firm and currently use an HP Designjet 488ca
on a small network of macs. Our macs run in OS X but we use a "classic"
application called Vectorworks and use an OS 9 machine (ibook) to run
the HP Designjet print software.

Do you know if the HP 800ps runs in OS X? we are considering purchasing
one and wanted to know what the process is printing in X. Are there
drivers? I read somewhere that it is all web-based and there is an
on-board processor.

any info would be appreciated. Please email me at
info@design-associates.com

thanks!

The answer is yes, it runs in Mac from 8.x to 10.x. It has built in
postscript with its own processor and uses the standard printing path of
Mac.

Luis

<hparker@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dan,
>
> I work at an architecture firm and currently use an HP Designjet 488ca
> on a small network of macs. Our macs run in OS X but we use a "classic"
> application called Vectorworks and use an OS 9 machine (ibook) to run
> the HP Designjet print software.
>
> Do you know if the HP 800ps runs in OS X? we are considering purchasing
> one and wanted to know what the process is printing in X. Are there
> drivers? I read somewhere that it is all web-based and there is an
> on-board processor.
>
> any info would be appreciated. Please email me at
> info@design-associates.com
>
> thanks!

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The 800PS runs great with Vectorworks under OS-X, the drivers are built
right into the OS.

the only problem is monitoring the queue once it is stored in the
plotters memory.

Ta