dd

Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
be uninstalled if need be.

Scott

I would always set up a restore point before making major
software changes to your pc, therefore you can always roll
back if you start to have problems.

In news:34b701c4a282$a4fb7e50$a601280a@phx.gbl,
DD <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Will the fire wall work with my home network,

Yes.

> or will I
> not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
> be uninstalled if need be.

Yes.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Some, or all, of the network features may not work with the windows
firewalls enabled.

Yes - to the uninstall. But - be aware there are MANY reposts of 'dirty'
uninstalls. The uninstall has the potential of doing more damage than
leaving it installed.

"DD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
> not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
> be uninstalled if need be.

"DD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
> not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
> be uninstalled if need be.

Yes and Yes.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

You may not be able to restore to an earlier point after installing SP2.

"Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would always set up a restore point before making major
> software changes to your pc, therefore you can always roll
> back if you start to have problems.

The network should work, but review:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
and http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
and especially
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw.

The point is that some programs that communicate across the network may
require you to open specific ports in the firewall before operating as they
did before. For example, if you are doing backups over your network then
navigate to the manufacturer's website and look for SP2 info to see if you
will be taking a few extra steps. SP2 is not so much buggy as picky.

"DD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
> not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
> be uninstalled if need be.

Your computer will remain more secure if you simply put the program that you
want to have access to the internet in the Exceptions list rather than
opening a port after SP2 install.

Colin, "SP2 is not so much buggy as picky. " With the problems and symptoms
reported here, I am convinced that it is only 'picky' when installed on
heavily tweaked and underprotected systems.

Chuck Davis wrote:
> Your computer will remain more secure if you simply put the program that you
> want to have access to the internet in the Exceptions list rather than
> opening a port after SP2 install.
>
> Colin, "SP2 is not so much buggy as picky. " With the problems and symptoms
> reported here, I am convinced that it is only 'picky' when installed on
> heavily tweaked and underprotected systems.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>

>>The network should work, but review:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
>>and http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>>and especially
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw.
>>
>>The point is that some programs that communicate across the network may
>>require you to open specific ports in the firewall before operating as they
>>did before. For example, if you are doing backups over your network then
>>navigate to the manufacturer's website and look for SP2 info to see if you
>>will be taking a few extra steps. SP2 is not so much buggy as picky.
>>
>>"DD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
>>>not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
>>>be uninstalled if need be.

"Heavily tweaked" sounds suspiciously tautological. When you apply such
exclusivity by saying SP2 is "...only 'picky' when installed on
heavily tweaked and underprotected systems," you're forming a
self-fulfilling prophecy. My own experience suggests otherwise. I've
installed it on two systems, a laptop and a desktop. It caused no end of
grief on the desktop system, ultimately requiring a complete
reinstallation, but presented no immediate problems on the laptop. The
laptop is in the custody of my 18-year-old college student son, and has
been, as you put it, "heavily tweaked" *and* "underprotected" in that
he's not always real careful about downloads and keeping his virus
definitions up to date. The desktop, on the other hand, has been kept
scrupulously clean and there has been *no* "tweaking" done on it to
speak of. In both cases, prior to installation, all of the recommended
precautionary measures were taken. Part of my own problem with the
desktop was that I didn't have a disk image (*highly* recommended) but
at least I did have a recent comprehensive data backup, so nothing
important was lost. My hackles get raised when people here suggest that
SP2 is safe unless the user has been careless or stupid. I am neither, I
assure you.

Yes, but I was trying to say that server/client apps now require affirmative
steps. Defaults have changed.

"Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Your computer will remain more secure if you simply put the program that
> you
> want to have access to the internet in the Exceptions list rather than
> opening a port after SP2 install.
>
> Colin, "SP2 is not so much buggy as picky. " With the problems and
> symptoms
> reported here, I am convinced that it is only 'picky' when installed on
> heavily tweaked and underprotected systems.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> The network should work, but review:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
>> and http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>> and especially
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw.
>>
>> The point is that some programs that communicate across the network may
>> require you to open specific ports in the firewall before operating as
>> they
>> did before. For example, if you are doing backups over your network then
>> navigate to the manufacturer's website and look for SP2 info to see if
>> you
>> will be taking a few extra steps. SP2 is not so much buggy as picky.
>>
>> "DD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Will the fire wall work with my home network, or will I
>> > not be able to use the network. Also can Service pack 2
>> > be uninstalled if need be.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

If not careless or stupid, how do you explain your problem?

Unknown wrote:
> If not careless or stupid, how do you explain your problem?

Well, let's see. If I have Windows XP, SP1, a firewall, antivirus
software with definitions religiously kept up to date, regular runs of
anti-adware/spyware programs which are always updated before running
them, I follow all of the recommended pre-installation precautions for
SP2, my hardware has no known conflicts and I have done everything
humanly possible to insure a clean install and SP2 still blows up in my
face, how do YOU explain my problem, a#$hole?

That response is a "stupid" and "careless" one.

WAY to many, very educated, and computer literate, users have been duped by
trusting Microsoft to take care of "Automatic Updates" on their system.
Automatic Updates is sold as being just that - AUTOMATIC! However - IT IS
*FAR* FROM IT!

I have only a little doubt that sp2 is a good thing. The install process
thereof is an absolute disaster.
It would seem to me that by now, given the huge number of problem sp2
installs there are, Microsoft would not allow the DL and install to begin
until folks are required to at least visit the pages of related reading.

The, simple, little notice on the windows update page that states, "What you
need to know before you install Windows XP service pack 2" is a joke. It's
trumped by the "Turn on Automatic Updates" notice.

Even IF(?) one were to go to the "What you need to do now to insure that you
get service pack 2" page the instructions are generalized!

I'm happy for the folks that have installed sp2 on a zillion system without
even a burp. I'm glad it enables their systems to make coffee and toast for
them on a scheduled timeframe.

YOU are the stupid one if you think that because lots of installs go without
a hitch that the intellect of those that do have problems is suspect!

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> If not careless or stupid, how do you explain your problem?

I keep VERY clean systems. I'll stack mine against anyone's when it comes
to being maintained - virus protection, spy and ad ware restricted and
removed immediately upon detection. Hardware and software sites are visited
on a regular basis for updates. I, like you, followed the huge number of
steps required to insure a stable install. In my care it only involved
verifying that my Intel BIOS was current (it is) and that my wireless router
was sp2 approved (it is). I did a 'clean' install of XP pro. There was not
another bit of software added. I went straight to the Windows Update site
and let Mr. Automatic do it's thing.

15 minutes later, install complete, the system would not boot past the BIOS
splash screen.

2 minutes later another OS clean install was in process. I just give up and
will use my computers sans sp2. I'm just too stupid to know how to install
a service pack.

Unknown wrote:
> If not careless or stupid, how do you explain your problem?
> "Herb Fritatta" <Herb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> Chuck Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Your computer will remain more secure if you simply put the program
>>> that you want to have access to the internet in the Exceptions list
>>> rather than opening a port after SP2 install.
>>>
>>> Colin, "SP2 is not so much buggy as picky. " With the problems and
>>> symptoms reported here, I am convinced that it is only 'picky' when
>>> installed on heavily tweaked and underprotected systems. "Colin

>> "Heavily tweaked" sounds suspiciously tautological. When you apply
>> such exclusivity by saying SP2 is "...only 'picky' when installed on
>> heavily tweaked and underprotected systems," you're forming a
>> self-fulfilling prophecy. My own experience suggests otherwise. I've
>> installed it on two systems, a laptop and a desktop. It caused no end
>> of grief on the desktop system, ultimately requiring a complete
>> reinstallation, but presented no immediate problems on the laptop. The
>> laptop is in the custody of my 18-year-old college student son, and
>> has been, as you put it, "heavily tweaked" *and* "underprotected" in
>> that he's not always real careful about downloads and keeping his
>> virus definitions up to date. The desktop, on the other hand, has
>> been kept scrupulously clean and there has been *no* "tweaking" done
>> on it to speak of. In both cases, prior to installation, all of the
>> recommended precautionary measures were taken. Part of my own problem
>> with the desktop was that I didn't have a disk image (*highly*
>> recommended) but at least I did have a recent comprehensive data
>> backup, so nothing important was lost. My hackles get raised when
>> people here suggest that SP2 is safe unless the user has been careless
>> or stupid. I am neither, I assure you.

Well, let's see. If I have Windows XP, SP1, a firewall, antivirus
software with definitions religiously kept up to date, regular runs of
anti-adware/spyware programs which are always updated before running
them, I follow all of the recommended pre-installation precautions for
SP2, my hardware has no known conflicts and I have done everything
humanly possible to insure a clean install and SP2 still blows up in my
face, how do YOU explain my problem, a#$hole?

I feel genuinely lucky. I have installed SP2 to three physical and several
virtual PC's running XP Home, Pro, Media Center, and Tablet and have lucked
out on every one of them. The precautions listed on the SP2 website must
surely help, but I do feel very lucky.