Dual channel mode

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
hello

I have 1 gb ( 2 * 512mb) of ddr2 in dual channel mode. i have two available slots and i want to throw in 2 gb of the same kind of ram. In order to to upgrade 2 gb for my two available slots , i have to use (2*1 gb). I already have (2*512mb) running in dual channel mode. Can i still run in dual channel mode when i throw in another 2 gb of rams to the existing setup.

Thanks

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Yes you can chuck in the same memory type (ddr2 at the same speeds) in your available slots. You will still be able to run in dual channel but!!! you may well have to losen the timings on your RAM. The memory controller suffers extra stress when trying to access RAM that isn't matched, let alone of different sizes.

You may find you have to turn 4-4-4-12 RAM into 5-5-5-15 RAM if the RAM is having problems. Don't worry too much, as it doesn't make much of a difference, but that will have more of an impact than keeping dual channel capability.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
hello

I have 1 gb ( 2 * 512mb) of ddr2 in dual channel mode. i have two available slots and i want to throw in 2 gb of the same kind of ram. In order to to upgrade 2 gb for my two available slots , i have to use (2*1 gb). I already have (2*512mb) running in dual channel mode. Can i still run in dual channel mode when i throw in another 2 gb of rams to the existing setup.

Thanks

For most boards, this is possible. Just make sure you load the ram sticks in the correct slots as stated in the board manual. I would ditch the smaller sticks as the previous poster stated, it adds stress on the memory controller. You may only lose a small percentage of performance but if your not going to overclock, it just might work good.