Unsynchronized Files in ActiveSync - Can't Fix This

November 22, 2004 9:49:46 AM

I have 16 files stuck in Activesync that say they are "unsynchronized". No
matter how many times I try to resync them, the error messages won't clear.
However, there are no issues with these files. They reside on both my
desktop PPC My Documents folder as well as the appropriate folders on my
iPAQ 4155.

If I delete the files from the desktop, it deletes them from the iPAQ, but
still reports that 16 items are unsynchronized. I copied some of these back
into the PPC My Documents folder from backup and they synchronized back to
the PDA without issues, but still the same unresolved error.

In fact, after doing that things are even stranger. It still says 16 files
unsynchronized, but when I double-click on it to view the files its not even
the same exact 16 files from before. Some of them are the ones that I had
deleted and then put back. The rest are just image files that I happened to
have moved from the storage card to the My Documents folder so they would
show up in the Today app.

BTW, I've closed all applications before doing the ActiveSync in case they
were in use. I can't for the life of me figure out what could possibly be
"wrong" with these files. I see no options anywhere to "force" the Desktop
or PDA to override the other. Does anyone have any ideas?

In a separate question, but related to ActiveSync for files, where can I
place a file that I want sync'd to the storage card the next time I sync? I
know I can place files in the PPC My Documents to have them placed in RAM
later, but how do I set this up for the storage card? What I want to do is
have PocketTV Browser place its data file on the card. That program runs
periodically to create data files, often without my PDA being attached to my
computer.

Thanks!

Tim
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 2:16:08 AM

One suggestion for the first problem: Go to options and uncheck the "files" box
so that files no longer sync. After you copy the files somewhere for safe
keeping delete all the folders and their files. The go back to options, check
the "files" box, copy everything back and hopefully it will sync without that
annoying error message.
Jim

"Tim@PalmZone.net" wrote:

> I have 16 files stuck in Activesync that say they are "unsynchronized". No
> matter how many times I try to resync them, the error messages won't clear.
> However, there are no issues with these files. They reside on both my
> desktop PPC My Documents folder as well as the appropriate folders on my
> iPAQ 4155.
>
> If I delete the files from the desktop, it deletes them from the iPAQ, but
> still reports that 16 items are unsynchronized. I copied some of these back
> into the PPC My Documents folder from backup and they synchronized back to
> the PDA without issues, but still the same unresolved error.
>
> In fact, after doing that things are even stranger. It still says 16 files
> unsynchronized, but when I double-click on it to view the files its not even
> the same exact 16 files from before. Some of them are the ones that I had
> deleted and then put back. The rest are just image files that I happened to
> have moved from the storage card to the My Documents folder so they would
> show up in the Today app.
>
> BTW, I've closed all applications before doing the ActiveSync in case they
> were in use. I can't for the life of me figure out what could possibly be
> "wrong" with these files. I see no options anywhere to "force" the Desktop
> or PDA to override the other. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> In a separate question, but related to ActiveSync for files, where can I
> place a file that I want sync'd to the storage card the next time I sync? I
> know I can place files in the PPC My Documents to have them placed in RAM
> later, but how do I set this up for the storage card? What I want to do is
> have PocketTV Browser place its data file on the card. That program runs
> periodically to create data files, often without my PDA being attached to my
> computer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim
November 23, 2004 11:48:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have it fixed now. I did what you suggested but also
first worked through my inbox sync problem. In case this helps someone else,
I'll detail what I did.

Inbox Sync was not responding so I had turned it off temporarily. To fix it,
I went in and deleted all the email on the PPC and turned sync back on to
actually clear out the inbox. Then I set the number of days to sync to 0 to
keep it clean.

Then I backed up the whole PPC My Documents folder and sync'd to clear out
all files on the PPC. Then I copied back in the files and moved the
previously deleted inbox items back into my Inbox.

All is well for now. As to what caused this in the first place, my guess is
that it had something to do with the Inbox sync getting screwed up. Pocket
Word has got to be the worst PDA word processor ever written. At least 1/3
of my normal email attachments can't be converted and produce errors. I'm
guessing the file sync errors had to do with this because I had the same
number of "unsynchronized" emails as I had "unsynchronized" files.