Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Delphi / Voice Communicator VCL

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:05:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Hi All. I am considering Voice Communicator VCL suite of tools which
look quite good. However, not being conversant with VOIP I'd like some
advice please.

The greatest weakness that I can see of VOIP is finding the destination
IP address. If a user is behind a router, or has dynamic address, please
tell how we can get his IP address over the net. I know
www.whatismyip.com but for programming purposes, that is not suitable of
course.

Using protocol UDP or TCP.

Any advice appreciated.
Alistair+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

More about : delphi voice communicator vcl

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:05:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi All. I am considering Voice Communicator VCL suite of tools which
> look quite good. However, not being conversant with VOIP I'd like some
> advice please.
>
> The greatest weakness that I can see of VOIP is finding the destination
> IP address. If a user is behind a router, or has dynamic address, please
> tell how we can get his IP address over the net. I know
> www.whatismyip.com but for programming purposes, that is not suitable of
> course.

This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
software to it.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:47:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
> freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
> software to it.
>
> miguel
Thanks - but it would seem that the long-term reliability is suspect:
Active Public Servers: For the benefit of the community's developers,
Vovida.org site is making two public STUN servers available for everyone
to use. These are running a very old version of the code and do not work
with recent clients. The IP address of the STUN servers are:

* 128.107.250.38
* 128.107.250.39

These are the only two public servers I have found.
Al+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Related resources
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
>> freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
>> software to it.
>
> Thanks - but it would seem that the long-term reliability is suspect:


Sorry, when I said "set it up", I meant install the STUN server software on
some computer somewhere so that you had your own server running.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:07:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

"Alistair George" <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:424c7f05$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> > This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
> > freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users'
> > client software to it.
> >
> > miguel
> Thanks - but it would seem that the long-term reliability is suspect:
> Active Public Servers: For the benefit of the community's developers,
> Vovida.org site is making two public STUN servers available for everyone
> to use. These are running a very old version of the code and do not work
> with recent clients. The IP address of the STUN servers are:
>
> * 128.107.250.38
> * 128.107.250.39
>
> These are the only two public servers I have found.

Many VoIP providers or softphone vendors run their own:

stun.fwdnet.net, stun01.sipphone.com, xten.net ...

They are generally available to everybody.

Anyway, the SIP protocol provides a simpler solution: a client with
dynamically assigned IP address may register on a proxy providing
registrar functionality. The callers will always place calls to e.g.
username@provider.com , and the SIP proxy at provider.com will
transparently either redirect the caller's UA to the registered IP address
and port (stateless proxying) or, also transparently, pass the invitation
to the caller's UA (stateful proxying). That's why it's useful to have an
account with a provider, and a free one is sufficient to the job. (The
provider may also offer additional services such as voicemail for calls
received when the UA of the callee is not registered).

Enzo
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:29:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> Sorry, when I said "set it up", I meant install the STUN server software on
> some computer somewhere so that you had your own server running.
>
> miguel
I have another solution which might be more suitable, because it uses my
own web page, and own code, but if you have any concerns about validity
please lets know: I use some javascript on my web page. My program
calls this script, and then parses the resulting page to get the user IP
address:
http://www.spamdel.com/myip.shtml

Thanks very much.
Alistair+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:29:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I have another solution which might be more suitable, because it uses my
> own web page, and own code, but if you have any concerns about validity
> please lets know: I use some javascript on my web page. My program
> calls this script, and then parses the resulting page to get the user IP
> address:
> http://www.spamdel.com/myip.shtml

What's the point of the Javascript? It just makes it much more difficult to
parse.

Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:56:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php
>
> miguel

Works well, but I dont know PHP and the best I could come up with is:
<p><b>REMOTE_ADDR:</b> <?php echo $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]; ?></p>

But that wont echo to the page - any tips?

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php
>
> Works well, but I dont know PHP and the best I could come up with is:
> <p><b>REMOTE_ADDR:</b> <?php echo $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]; ?></p>
>
> But that wont echo to the page - any tips?

Sounds like your server is not processing it through PHP. Are you using
Apache or one of the off-brand servers?

Source code for ip.php:

<?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>

So basically what you were doing.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

>
> <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>
>
> So basically what you were doing.
>
> miguel
No, that worked! thanks vm. Al+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:21:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George wrote:
>>
>> <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>
>>
>> So basically what you were doing.
>>
>> miguel
>
> No, that worked! thanks vm. Al+
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
The problem was the surrounding quotation marks in original script:
<?= $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] ?>
should have been
<?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:28:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Alistair George wrote:
[...]
> Tks 4 info. I would like to implement this sort of thing in Delphi,
> but it seems no one has rolled a component to manage SIP from the
> client point of view - yet?

A quick google search for "sip delphi" returned (among other
interesting hits):

http://www.ictrnid.org.uk/index.html?softlib.html
[...] SIP Stack 0.3 (D6) This ZIP file (457KB) contains the source code
for the stack as well as a demo application. Last updated 24 December
2004.

The license seems to be quite liberal, BSD-style. However I haven't
used it (and I don't know Delphi) so I cannot comment further.

Enzo
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> account with a provider, and a free one is sufficient to the job. (The
> provider may also offer additional services such as voicemail for calls
> received when the UA of the callee is not registered).
>
> Enzo
Tks 4 info. I would like to implement this sort of thing in Delphi, but
it seems no one has rolled a component to manage SIP from the client
point of view - yet?
Al+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:31:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> The license seems to be quite liberal, BSD-style. However I haven't
> used it (and I don't know Delphi) so I cannot comment further.
>
> Enzo
>
Hi Enzo. Appreciate, but that is for a SIP stack which is a host I
suspect? I want to get SIP from the client point of view only, the host
is much more comprehensive.
Al+

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
!