Sign in with
Your question

New Retail Stepping-5 Conroe hits 4GHz on air cooling.

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2006 12:47:36 PM

Well they said it could be done and now we have proof. Conroe can hit 4GHz on Air cooling alone!

Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Denny has gotten his hands on a new Stepping-5 (likely retail sample) of an E6700 Core 2 Duo and paired it with his Tower 120 Air Cooler.

13 Second SuperPi_1M run on air cooling...

June 16, 2006 12:49:49 PM

Conroe - making exaggeration redundant since 2006.

That's pretty incredible for an air-cooled CPU. What excites me most is that Conroe seems to have Athlon's efficiency and performance while retaining Netburst's not inconsiderable overclocking capabilities.
June 16, 2006 1:11:20 PM

wow - 4 gigs on AIR....

Clock for clock Conroe beats the FX series by about 20% or so... and... looks like on similar cooling the Conroe has about a 600 mhz lead in addition...

(FX's seem to top out at +/- 3.4 on air or so)

Monster... just a f%$king monster......
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 16, 2006 1:15:08 PM

That Tower 120 cooler is freakin HUGE!, good thing i dont need to get to 4Ghz
June 16, 2006 1:19:44 PM

Quote:
(FX's seem to top out at +/- 3.4 on air or so)

more like 3.1 or 3.2 on air for the latest FX-62. FX that can hit 3.4 on air must be a really rare find. This 4ghz on air Conroe could be a rare find also, unless more people can do the same from other testing places.
June 16, 2006 1:25:54 PM

It may be rare, we don't really know yet. The thing is folks just started getting their hands on Stepping-5 conroe parts two days ago, and already he has hit 4GHz on air. So we only have two days worth of data, hehe.

Some folks in the know have claimed that this will be the norm for the retail chips (4Ghz on air). We'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers!
June 16, 2006 1:44:03 PM

Right now all I can say is wow! That's some very great achievement for Conroe! Effecient, fast and overclocks like it's on crack!

Nice!

8O
June 16, 2006 2:09:44 PM

You got that right, I can't wait until they come out. I will definally pick one up for sure.
June 16, 2006 2:12:48 PM

damn i cant wait to upgrade my system with a conroe. Will also get some water cooling rig to, maybe like 5 - 6ghz cuz be possible with water, who knows, just imagine 12ghz(2 cores) of processing power on tiny chip. bring on the multithreaded games!!
June 16, 2006 2:16:23 PM

Yep, i got my cash set aside and i'll be waiting on newegg @ midnight July 23rd to order mine. i am certain i will not be alone
June 16, 2006 2:32:09 PM

Quote:
Yep, i got my cash set aside and i'll be waiting on newegg @ midnight July 23rd to order mine. i am certain i will not be alone

You do realize that theres about a 1% chance that places like Newegg will have Core 2 chips on July 23rd right? Dell, HP, etc are going to buy pretty much every chip that comes out of the fabs. It'll probably be mid-August before us common folk who build our own systems will be able to buy them.

I hope that statement is wrong because I'm looking to upgrade my machine too. Its killing me to wait this long. If I can't get Core 2s until September I might just get an AM2 and wait for K8L. So I hope they'll be available pretty soon after they're released too.
a c 478 à CPUs
June 16, 2006 2:40:24 PM

Quote:

You might need to wait a couple of days before Newegg starts selling it. Newegg didn't have AMD's Athlon AM2s until a couple of days later the launch date. Hopefully the Conroe E6700 will be available by early August.
June 16, 2006 2:59:17 PM

#1 - Wow, that's a big building he's got on that cpu. I think the fact that the mobo was out of the case helped for cooling for 4Ghz. I personally am going to go the water-cooling route when I buy the Conroe so I can overclock that sucker to death (as it is meant to do) Might as well get the best cooling and go as far as I can go.

#2 - I doubt we'll have to wait as long as August till we can buy the Conroe off New Egg. Like another post said, the AM2 was available 2 days after release. Also, they should know that only geeks like us are watching the release date like hawks. People buying Dells don't even know what the devil is in their computer and don't care. They know that they'll have a large, and immediate market from DIY builders so I doubt they'd limit their sales by not having them on Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc.

#3 - I can't wait till Tom's gets their hands on one of these for real and gives us the no-BS facts, and I hope it all is true!
June 16, 2006 3:11:42 PM

Quote:
Well they said it could be done and now we have proof. Conroe can hit 4GHz on Air cooling alone!

Denny has gotten his hands on a new Stepping-5 (likely retail sample) of an E6700 Core 2 Duo and paired it with his Tower 120 Air Cooler.

It should say:

"After promising for years Intel finally delivers a stable 4GHz that won't make your plastic case parts melt."

It is good to see 4GHz. AMD should be right behind with Rev G Opterons. I have the distinct feeling that AMD is going server and will screw the desktop until Q107.
June 16, 2006 3:13:43 PM

Hey man I have a Prescott on 4GHz on air and no issues.

Plus I have a titanium case. Just joking.
June 16, 2006 3:13:49 PM

Thank Baron, I knew I could depend on you for an Intel-negative comment and some AMD spin in this thread which has nothing to do with AMD.

Congratulations on being so incredibly predictable.
June 16, 2006 3:19:05 PM

Quote:
#1 - Wow, that's a big building he's got on that cpu. I think the fact that the mobo was out of the case helped for cooling for 4Ghz. I personally am going to go the water-cooling route when I buy the Conroe so I can overclock that sucker to death (as it is meant to do) Might as well get the best cooling and go as far as I can go.

#2 - I doubt we'll have to wait as long as August till we can buy the Conroe off New Egg. Like another post said, the AM2 was available 2 days after release. Also, they should know that only geeks like us are watching the release date like hawks. People buying Dells don't even know what the devil is in their computer and don't care. They know that they'll have a large, and immediate market from DIY builders so I doubt they'd limit their sales by not having them on Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc.

#3 - I can't wait till Tom's gets their hands on one of these for real and gives us the no-BS facts, and I hope it all is true!

#1 - indeed it is a very capable cooler, But keep in mind this is just the first success as this chip revision has only been available for 2 days. We'll see in the long term, whether this can be done with smaller heatsinks, or if it can be pushed to even higher overclocks with this heatsink.

#2 - I agree, Intel is aiming for this to be they most successful launch in history. They know they have a winner here.

#3 - Indeed, more info from multiple sources is always welcome!

Cheers!
June 16, 2006 3:23:15 PM

Wow, I just realized this is a 50% overclock on air! We haven't seen this since the 300MHz Pentiums were hitting 450MHz, lol.
June 16, 2006 3:27:28 PM

Quote:

You do realize that theres about a 1% chance that places like Newegg will have Core 2 chips on July 23rd right? Dell, HP, etc are going to buy pretty much every chip that comes out of the fabs. It'll probably be mid-August before us common folk who build our own systems will be able to buy them.

I hope that statement is wrong because I'm looking to upgrade my machine too. Its killing me to wait this long. If I can't get Core 2s until September I might just get an AM2 and wait for K8L. So I hope they'll be available pretty soon after they're released too.

Thats ok i can wait a lil while, i'm selling my insprion 9300 so i can buy a 9400 with a Core Duo and a 7900GS to hold me over. but i will be stalking newegg to get my Conroe as soon as they are available.
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2006 3:31:42 PM

I should open a new shop in your area. Would love all the business :lol: 
June 16, 2006 3:34:52 PM

Quote:
Wow, I just realized this is a 50% overclock on air! We haven't seen this since the 300MHz Pentiums were hitting 450MHz, lol.

I overclocked my 3.0 Prescott 50% on air... and I've got the scars to prove it.
June 16, 2006 4:01:14 PM

Quote:
Thank Baron, I knew I could depend on you for an Intel-negative comment and some AMD spin in this thread which has nothing to do with AMD.

Congratulations on being so incredibly predictable.

you're welcome. As everyone knows you and Intel HAVE to be kept honest because you will use any opportunity to take barbs at AMD. For no reason. Both companies should an dwill be comparable in all terms. Core 2 is great. Intel sucked for years but Core 2 is great.

What do you want? I admit they're winning now but hey they couldn't suck forever right?
June 16, 2006 4:14:28 PM

Needless to say, that is an amazing result. I guess it just means that Intel has plenty of clocking room left, which was what I was worried about. This should mean that they still have some maneuvering room in case there are issues with 45nm. I still wish Intel wasn't so conservative with their Extreme Edition release at only 2.93GHz.

I'm sure you also noticed the other thread at Xtreme Systems.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

They've reached a 500MHz base system clock rate for a 2001MHz FSB. Nearly double what the shipping FSB will be. They're dumping in plenty of voltage and had to drop a multiplier on the processor but it's still impressive. After this you'd think a 1333MHz FSB would be a pittance.
June 16, 2006 4:32:07 PM

Quote:

I admit they're winning now but hey they couldn't suck forever right?

lol. That's pretty good. I have to admit, it is almost unbelievable that Intel could suck for as long as they did. Even more unbelievable is that Dell would stick with Intel exclusively, but only so long as all their processors suck.
June 16, 2006 4:51:34 PM

Quote:

Is this supposed to be impressive news?? Hardley because a 90nm FX can easily hit 3.2 on air and that's old technology. Its not surprising a 65nm part can run at a higher speed with less heat. Secondly, I hardly call that "air", that heatsink is big as my power supply. 8O
June 16, 2006 5:13:13 PM

thats really nice, 4 ghz on air but he is running it with the BEST air hsf on the market and its not in a case...never the less with the case factoring in 4 ghz could still be likely
June 16, 2006 5:13:36 PM

Quote:

Is this supposed to be impressive news?? Hardley because a 90nm FX can easily hit 3.2 on air and that's old technology. Its not surprising a 65nm part can run at a higher speed with less heat. Secondly, I hardly call that "air", that heatsink is big as my power supply. 8O

are you honstely saying that this does not impress you? I mean a air cooled 4ghz fx62 would blow my mind (as i am sure it would you)
then the fact that conroe has a 20% higher ipc makes it more astounding.
June 16, 2006 5:26:59 PM

Does the Athlon FX @ 3.2 do a 13 Second SuperPi_1M?

Quote:
Secondly, I hardly call that "air", that heatsink is big as my power supply.

Does it run on water? Just because it is as big as my house does not change the fact that it is cooled on air.
June 16, 2006 5:32:53 PM

When quoting someone else, please... PLEASE don't include the pictures? My browser slows down enough going through them the first time... I don't need 5 replies on the same page showing the pics too.

:p 
June 16, 2006 5:37:41 PM

Quote:
Does the Athlon FX @ 3.2 do a 13 Second SuperPi_1M?

Secondly, I hardly call that "air", that heatsink is big as my power supply.

Does it run on water? Just because it is as big as my house does not change the fact that it is cooled on air.

Wow, you have a tiny house! 8O
June 16, 2006 5:48:37 PM

Quote:

Wow, you somehow manage to be stupid in each and every one of your sentences. Amazing skill.

Sentence 1: Dumb. It's impressive because existing chips don't overclock this well/high _and_ have this high an IPC.

Sentence 2: Dumb and non sequitur. Wow, it can hit 3.2!? This is _only_ 25% higher, also with a higher IPC!? Again, stupid.

Sentence 3: Idiotic. Time marches on, you have a firm grasp of the painfully obvious. Also, a 65nm part does not necessarily run at a higher speed with less heat - you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Sentence 4: Retarded. Please look up the definition of "air" in context to CPU cooling. It's air - this is a boolean thing, you don't call it "not air" because it's "really big".
June 16, 2006 6:00:36 PM

You wish.... honestly, amds overclock like garbage, and will NEVER overclock good, they cap their chips off at their max, fx62s barely reach 3 ghz. None of my amd systems ever overclocked good, and my current one not overclocking past 2.5 ghz is dissapointing along with the random performance issues that I have had. Considering all of my intel boxes overclocked like monsters. And 4 ghz on air is impressive, you wont see an amd doing that any time soon. You dont even see opterons past 2.8 ghz without water cooling. I wish intel would release a 3.6 ghz conroe XE edition to really stomp on amds parade, I know that may sound malicious, but they should take this archetecture and push it to its absolute maximum, and they shouldnt hold back Intel is feeling amds pressure, and they should keep hitting with core.
June 16, 2006 6:09:15 PM

this is simply amazing

since 4ghz is the max now at air, then i guess people could relatively easily oc this cpu to lets say a relatively SOLW! speed of 3.6GHz 8O . and by this ensure that their CPU would not produce a lot of heat and live for a long time.

I cant wait for it to be released.

:wink:
June 16, 2006 6:09:23 PM

for the love of god... please stop quoting huge posts with pics. its just annoying as hell. and it takes up too much space.
June 16, 2006 6:17:17 PM

And the feat has now been duplicated by Vapor, who also has a Stepping-5 Core 2 Duo E6700

This time it is in a case, and is using a different heatsink (Typoon).

Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1518...

Cheers!

P.S. And before anyone comments "it is water cooling!!!11~", in the link above, READ THE DAMN THREAD. The water cooling is only on his graphics cards, not the CPU. The CPU is air cooled only.
June 16, 2006 6:38:38 PM

Quote:

Absolutely not true, perhaps you should know what you are talking bout before farting with your mouth :D 

First of all, it was CELERON 300A, NOT the Pentium 3.

My 1700+ JIUHB runs @ 2.2ghz on a tiny copper HSF and stays no more than 42celcius under load. My opteron 165 runs at about 2.85ghz on the OEM hsf!

Both >50% OC on cheap air...

I am not nocking the results, the Tuniq tower is a nice as is the 9500 and a few others. This thing is nearly silent I believe (as is my opteron). As it stands now, my next will be a Core2 based rig I think. But still, you are WAY wrong.

Hide
June 16, 2006 6:46:09 PM

Quote:
You wish.... honestly, amds overclock like garbage, and will NEVER overclock good, they cap their chips off at their max, fx62s barely reach 3 ghz. None of my amd systems ever overclocked good, and my current one not overclocking past 2.5 ghz is dissapointing along with the random performance issues that I have had. Considering all of my intel boxes overclocked like monsters. And 4 ghz on air is impressive, you wont see an amd doing that any time soon. You dont even see opterons past 2.8 ghz without water cooling.

I guess I need to throw my 2 roughtly 55% OCd AMDs away cause they must be in my imagination...

hide
June 16, 2006 6:59:18 PM

What cpus are those, I simply dont see them. Its soo rare to get a good amd processor that will overclock 50 %. All of their top of the line FX processors are extremly close to their limit. Even the lower end dont overclock that well. I dont consider 400 mhz overclocks anything spectacular, how ever this core2 processor overclocking 1.4 ghz is impressive.
June 16, 2006 7:09:01 PM

AMD's lower end dual core's can come close to a 50% overclock... from 1.8GHz to 2.6GHz or even 2.8GHz in some cases...
but is not for the ordinary PC buyer, since it also needs one to buy enthusiast mobo, memory and cooling in order to increase your chances of meeting this level of success...

Intel cpu's do and have been reported overclocking easier and further, for some time now...
June 16, 2006 7:10:10 PM

The issue with the AMD Opty/A64 x2 line is the process is fully matured. Not until .065 will we see significant bumps in mhz from now, just minor upgrades. The 1700+ is an AMD XP 1700+, stepping JIUHB that will run uppwards of 2.4ghz on air. Mine runs 2.1-2.1 24/7/365 and remains quiet. Now mind you, by today's standards it is kinda slow. The opteron's in socket 939 sold today are hitting between 2.6 and 3.1ghz on air. Im using the OEM HSF (they come with a NICE 4 heatpipeone now, so why waste more money for 100mhz) and its running nice. in fact, I can get right around 2.6ghz on stock voltages and therefore keep cool and quiet running (which is what I do cause the extra 200mhz dont do me any good in games with only a 19" CRT to drive). THe FX coming out at 2.8 is nearing the limits of the current .090 SOI technology. you can get 99% of the performance for about $290 for the Opteron 165 or 170 @ about 390. They are awesome processors. the Intel 805D is also in that range nearly as well so considering it is now <100USD I would vote it as the current best "budget" Cpu for gaming and all around use. 3.6-3.8ghz on air is VERY common with a few rare instances of 4.0 on air. You just have to do some research before you build to get a nice bang for the buck.

In the single core arena there are TONS of AMDs doing about %50 too. The Opteron 14x line does, either 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2 ghz base and upwards of about 3.0 to 2.1 on air is common for cheap too
June 16, 2006 7:32:30 PM

Very nice. 8O
June 16, 2006 7:42:51 PM

I wonder how long that speed can be sustained on air? You guys know Conroe throttles down to ~2ghz when idle which is invisible to the user so while short pi times(really short :lol:  ) are impressive. I wonder how it would hold up to a good hour long session of gaming?
June 16, 2006 8:03:31 PM

some of these posts are starting to reek of fanboy. lets try to stay away from that??
June 16, 2006 8:10:07 PM

That's a good point. In the thread they ran a bunch of 3DMarks, a 32M Super Pi calculation that took 14 minutes, a another 1M calculation, but when they went back to do a 2nd 32M calculation the thing appeared to crash before it finished. I'm not sure how much time elapsed between all those benchmarks before it crashed or whether they let it cool in between, but it doesn't look like it'll be stable for hour long gaming. It's still impressive given the shallow pipeline. Some further tweaking with voltages or cooling might iron things out.
June 16, 2006 8:17:39 PM

Quote:
I wonder how long that speed can be sustained on air? You guys know Conroe throttles down to ~2ghz when idle which is invisible to the user so while short pi times(really short :lol:  ) are impressive. I wonder how it would hold up to a good hour long session of gaming?

That's a wonder I have also. I know how P4 chokes once it's loaded down and they did say that a lot fo the P4 went into Core 2. I know Core 2 is a smoker but let's hope it holds up under heavy loads like I run. And no I don't loop Super pi all day.
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2006 8:32:03 PM

yeah downloading pron is a bitch huh?
June 16, 2006 10:02:34 PM

Quote:

That's a wonder I have also. I know how P4 chokes once it's loaded down and they did say that a lot fo the P4 went into Core 2. I know Core 2 is a smoker but let's hope it holds up under heavy loads like I run. And no I don't loop Super pi all day.

Well what I was getting at was the fact that they boot at 4ghz and everything seems fine and dandy in windows because the chip is actually running much slower than it appears when idling. Only when the load comes on does it have to go up to 4ghz for a short time and then right back down to ~2ghz. Not that this is a bad thing but I just wouldnt be hoping for 4ghz 24/7 clocks with these badboys.
June 16, 2006 10:32:41 PM

Quote:
And no I don't loop Super pi all day.

That makes you uncool.
June 16, 2006 10:40:10 PM

nice oc im getting a conroe but im gonna wait till vista (and price drops :p  DX10 baby!)

also by then we will see if its ok to O/c em..remeber S.N.D.S Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome anyone? if u incrased the Vcore to 1.7 on a northwood it would become unstable and basicly slowly kill its self and only be stable when its downclocked..meh just Wiki it.
June 16, 2006 11:44:00 PM

Quote:
yeah downloading pron is a bitch huh?

No but two instances of VS 2005, sometimes SQL 2005, Virtual Server with exchange and domains, bunches of IE7 tabs, Outlook, Outlook express, Word, and the occasional - okay more than occasional - Q4, D3, and soon FEAR.

Porn is very boring nowadays.
!