Sign in with
Your question

upgrading laptop video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2006 1:19:26 PM

i have a toshiba m100 laptop with an ATI x1400 w/128mb of memory. it is also PCI-Express.

my question is can i upgrade this? if so what card should i select and where could i find one that fits into a laptop? i was offered a choice of video cards when i was building the laptop on toshiba's site: an intel GMA, an ATI x1300 w/64mb and the x1400 w/128mb.

so any ideas or suggestions? thanks for any help.
June 16, 2006 2:42:46 PM

those are all integrated chips, they were probably giving you a choice of wat motherboard actually. The only upgradable laptop graphics are MXM nVidia chips on DELL XPS / 9300 and select oem gaming/entertainment laptops

no upgrade for u 8O :x :( 
June 16, 2006 3:09:40 PM

so does that mean i can upgrade mine??

well i'm still pretty happy with the one i have but near future defenetly will call for an upgrade :lol: 

and how is that cpu-wise? can i get anotherone too there?
Related resources
June 16, 2006 3:34:12 PM

pretty sure 915 and ati x200 can do yohna. not sure about 865. check if your xps supports mxm
June 16, 2006 3:34:30 PM

Quote:
so does that mean i can upgrade mine??

No, you cannot upgrade yours.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2006 6:30:50 PM

Quote:
those are all integrated chips, they were probably giving you a choice of wat motherboard actually.

Actually probably not. at some point there's probably an assenbly line split by models, but the starting point is likely the same mobo and then they add the graphics mini board.

Quote:
The only upgradable laptop graphics are MXM nVidia chips on DELL XPS / 9300 and select oem gaming/entertainment laptops

Actually there are many more than that, and not just nV.
ATi has their Flexfit connector strategy that allows them to use their proprietary Axiom (PJ3) connector and nV's MXM.

You probably could upgrade his rig, but it's likely neither worth it nor easy.

Quote:
no upgrade for u 8O :x :( 

Pretty much.
June 16, 2006 8:53:35 PM

damn. i'd probably have to take the entire thing apart to do this too wouldn't i?
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2006 5:03:38 PM

Quote:
damn. i'd probably have to take the entire thing apart to do this too wouldn't i?

Yep, and even then you might not be able to do much depending on how it was put in and the cooling for the chip.

It's really almost never worth it IMO. If ATi were to come out with a cool and powerful X1700 that fit in my X700 socket, ok I'd give it a try because I like the form factor of my current laptop. However, really it's a rare situation where's it's not better to simply sell it an use the proceeds towards a new one.
June 20, 2006 5:44:54 AM

cool!!

so i can upgrade my xps, as soon as the gf go 7800 gtx is too slow...
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2006 3:19:22 PM

Yep, and maybe (nd this would be the most attractive to me if I were in your position) there might be a possible DX10 solution available to you. Even if it's a potent mid range chip (close to that GF7800 in DX9 performance) it would be attractive to me in the future.
!