What will prevent a MB from posting?

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hello folks. I have an AsusA7V133, old board, about 512 mb ram, ~1.2ghz. Everything was working fine a week ago. I have made no changes to the hardware or the software.

A few days ago i turned it on and it fired up, but made no beeping sound. It just sits there running--the fans come on, the CD-rom drives spin up and the HDD light comes on--but the screen never gets a signal. It remains blank.

I have checked the power connections to ensure they are secure. I have also removed the MB battery for 24 hours and tried again to no avail.

What causes this to happen? is my MB toast and i should purchase a new one? Or is it the Power supply? how should i diagnose the problem?

Many thanks

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I have tested a new Monitor. I also tried pulling out the GFX card to see if it would give me the 3 rapid beeps indicating that there is no video card but i got nothing.

ZEALITHYN

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
There are several things that can keep your mother board from posting but from my experience it has always been a defective processor. I would send the processor back and get a warranty replacement. If you still can't get a post then I would send the motherboard back and try again and see if it post. I would place my money on that it is the processor.

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I have checked the power connections to ensure they are secure. I have also removed the MB battery for 24 hours and tried again to no avail.

LOL! Few seconds are enought :)

Try to connect the mobo to another power supply (if you have one).

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Disconnect all expansion cards and drives, leaving just power, cpu, and one stick of ram installed. Boot and listen for beep codes.

If you get nothing, I would check to make sure the motherboard isn't being shorted. Try loosening the motherboard screws a little. Check for exposed metal touching the motherboard, etc. While you're searching, look for blown capacitors (slightly buldging, may be leaking) and scorch marks (dark brown).

Of course you can also try booting without RAM or CPU.

cygnus

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Hey guys:

I have similar problem so I decided to post here instead of creating a new one. Anyway, just like the fellow who started this thread, since a couple of weeks ago, 14 out of 15 times, the mobo doesn't post and the monitor gets no signal. Sometimes, I get a long beep after the system starts followed by a shutdown. Eventually, after trying for 10 minutes, the monitor gets a signal and everything boots ok. One thing I noticed is that if I clear the CMOS, the system starts ok. I even changed the CMOS battery for a new one but as I said, it takes me a lot of effort to get the mobo to post. Any ideas?

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
It can be the power supply or the motherboard.

You can run the computer removing everything that you don't need. Even the memory and see if the you get the error post for missing the RAM.

You might want to try another power supply and if doesn't work... maybe it is time to change the motherboard.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Thank you for the replies folks. Ill try the things indicated here and if it still doesnt work, i'll look into buying new components.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I would send the processor back and get a warranty replacement. If you still can't get a post then I would send the motherboard back and try again and see if it post.
:lol: an a7v133 is even older than my a7v8x-x, which is already 3 years old... not much chance of a warranty replacement, but it would indeed be nice if they did 8)
I think it's about time to upgrade for you, too.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I have similar problem so I decided to post here instead of creating a new one.
You need to post your system specs and it probably would be better to start your own thread. Why not try some of the things already listed here..

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
you could try resetting the processor,

fixed my problem when my mobo didnt post
I figured out that when I was playing around with the heatsink I didnt fasten it properly, it got loose when the case was hit and the processor was only half way in, so it refused to post and give any beep errors - for some reason, when the processor is only half way in, my asus board wouldnt give an error code

So I opened the case and put everything back into place and made sure its gonna hold and now it works

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
This the very reason you should dump this computer gaming nonsense and buy a gaming console. You won't have these no post issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OCing is for MEN. Being a MAN is not a good look for you.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
This the very reason you should dump this computer gaming nonsense and buy a gaming console. You won't have these no post issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OCing is for MEN. Being a MAN is not a good look for you.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i had a problem like this turns out my comp three yrs old ast the time had dried up its thermal paste this solved my problem may solve yours

EDIT: just read that you have solved it grats; i wasnt too far off :p :p