Legacy free?

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Why is it so difficult to find main boards that don't have PS/2 for keyboard and mice? I also haven't used serial or parallel in years. It's 2006! 80% of mobo's on the market should be legacy free by now. Dump that crap and use the space for something useful.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
It is still on there because people still use them. I have a PS/2 keyboard myself and my uncle needs the serial port for hardware that he uses in his store. If nobody used them, they would probably be gone. Give it time, I am sure they will go away in favor of USB.

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
And serial and parallel are used quite frequently for electronic hobbies, like for chip programming and the like. Also their aren't many KVMs that support USB yet. I actually have a USB mouse but have it use its USB to PS/2 converter.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Because there's still very low-level recovery software that doesn't yet support things like USB mice and keyboards. And, like dwave said, there's still a market for it.

The first thing that should really go is legacy BIOS. There are soooo concessions and compromises just so users can install, say, Windows 3.1 or DOS. At least give us an option to dump it in favor of something like EFI or OpenBoot.

Edit: fixed typo