Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hide Folders in My Documents?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
November 22, 2004 9:59:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

How can I hide folders under the My Documents folder that I don't want
showing up in programs like Notes, etc.? I can use Resco Explorer to hide
folders on the storage card and that works perfectly, but it won't set them
to hidden in RAM.

I'm a bit perturbed that so many programs feel compelled to dump stuff in
the My Documents folder when there is a perfectly good Application Data
folder off of the root, not to mention the Program Files folder and other
more appropriate places. If it were just one or two rogue programs, it
wouldn't be a big issue but literally all software I have installed insists
on placing things in My Documents.

This is significant enough to me that I'm willing to hack the registry if
someone has some advice and tips there. Resco Exlporer has a registry editor
and I assume these programs are using it to store where it stuck the various
needed components.

The only thing I worry about with registry editing is that if I later
uninstall these programs, the data folders will be left. I can always write
down what it tried to delete and then manually go delete from where I put
(probably Application Data/<Program Name>). However, is there a way to edit
the install/uninstall files to update them?

Thanks,

Tim

More about : hide folders documents

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 6:27:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <j7god.375163$wV.245026@attbi_s54>, tim@palmzone.net says...
> How can I hide folders under the My Documents folder that I don't want
> showing up in programs like Notes, etc.? I can use Resco Explorer to hide
> folders on the storage card and that works perfectly, but it won't set them
> to hidden in RAM.

Not sure I know what you're asking for. Notes is only going to see
Notes files--and it's only going to see the files if they are in My
Documents. Same with the other built-in apps--they can only see files
in My Documents and one folder below it. You can move files somewhere
else, including TWO folders down in My Documents, and they won't see the
files but you'll have to use Explorer (or similar) to goto and open the
files.

If you're trying to hide some files from others, I would suggest looking
at Sentry2020 at http://www.softwinter.com/sentry_ce.html
That allows you to "mount" a single encrypted file--when mounted it
looks like another card to the ppc. Put a My Documents folder there and
files there appear in the built-in apps--and disappear when you dismount
the "card".

> wouldn't be a big issue but literally all software I have installed insists
> on placing things in My Documents.

SOP as approved by Microsoft. Data in My Documents--Programs in Program
Files. How is that different than a PC running MS Windows--data
normally goes in the user's My Documents.

In the case of the PPC one major reason is that files in main memory My
Documents gets SYNC'd to a user folder on the PC. Instant backup even
if the application doesn't have a PC version that needs the files.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
November 22, 2004 10:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for your response. I have some more questions below...

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1c0bc0c762288de0989816@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <j7god.375163$wV.245026@attbi_s54>, tim@palmzone.net says...
>> How can I hide folders under the My Documents folder that I don't want
>> showing up in programs like Notes, etc.? I can use Resco Explorer to hide
>> folders on the storage card and that works perfectly, but it won't set
>> them
>> to hidden in RAM.
>
> Not sure I know what you're asking for. Notes is only going to see
> Notes files--and it's only going to see the files if they are in My
> Documents.

When I open the Notes application it lists every folder in My Documents
(RAM) and My Documents on the storage card regardless of whether there are
actual notes in these folders or not. Note that I'm not talking about when I
select "All Folders" from the Notes app. I'm talking about the list of
folders that gets displayed in the "Show" Folder pop-up. It lists them all.
What I'm wanting to do is hide the folders that I will never stick notes in.

> Same with the other built-in apps--they can only see files
> in My Documents and one folder below it. You can move files somewhere
> else, including TWO folders down in My Documents, and they won't see the
> files but you'll have to use Explorer (or similar) to goto and open the
> files.
>
> If you're trying to hide some files from others, I would suggest looking
> at Sentry2020 at http://www.softwinter.com/sentry_ce.html
> That allows you to "mount" a single encrypted file--when mounted it
> looks like another card to the ppc. Put a My Documents folder there and
> files there appear in the built-in apps--and disappear when you dismount
> the "card".
>
>> wouldn't be a big issue but literally all software I have installed
>> insists
>> on placing things in My Documents.
>
> SOP as approved by Microsoft. Data in My Documents--Programs in Program
> Files. How is that different than a PC running MS Windows--data
> normally goes in the user's My Documents.

This is different than Windows and that's my complaint. I'm not talking
about programs putting Word and Excel and Notes docs in My Documents. I'm
talking about programs sticking their settings file and other garbage there.
For example, PocketInformant places all its settings and icons in My
Documents/WebIS folder instead of under Application Data like real Windows
programs do. Other programs like PocketTV Browser, eReader (Peanut Press),
SplashID, etc. do the same thing although I suppose one could argue these
are those programs "normal data files", but none of those programs install
those same files in the My Documents folder on the PC. They all place them
under Program Files or other locations that are "out of the way".

>
> In the case of the PPC one major reason is that files in main memory My
> Documents gets SYNC'd to a user folder on the PC. Instant backup even
> if the application doesn't have a PC version that needs the files.

This is a very good point. I guess I would want these files backed up and I
assume then that is the reason the developers' dump there stuff there. It
would be nice if ActiveSync just backed up the whole PPC instead of just the
My Documents folder. There certainly are other files in other locations that
I want backed up too.

Thanks for your help on this. BTW, I'm in Dallas too ;-)

> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA
Related resources
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:36:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <CHqod.136440$R05.56495@attbi_s53>, tim@palmzone.net says...
> When I open the Notes application it lists every folder in My Documents
> (RAM) and My Documents on the storage card regardless of whether there are
> actual notes in these folders or not. Note that I'm not talking about when I
> select "All Folders" from the Notes app. I'm talking about the list of
> folders that gets displayed in the "Show" Folder pop-up. It lists them all.
> What I'm wanting to do is hide the folders that I will never stick notes in.

Gottcha. Don't think there is anything you can do about that. However,
the builtin apps will attempt to open in the last folder used. So you
can avoid the problem by having an appropriate sub-folder for each file
type and never putting those files anywhere else. Example
\My Documents\Notes
with all the note files in that folder. Edit one of those and then
exit. Next time Notes will then start with that folder displayed and
you'd have to manually back "show" up to see the others. Notes puts new
files in the current folder--PWord and PExcel have default "new"
locations. Note--Outlook on the pc supports sub-folders but you have to
manually name the file on a "new" note or it will stick it in the root
My Documents.

> This is a very good point. I guess I would want these files backed up and I
> assume then that is the reason the developers' dump there stuff there. It
> would be nice if ActiveSync just backed up the whole PPC instead of just the
> My Documents folder. There certainly are other files in other locations that
> I want backed up too.

My Documents is the only folder (and sub folders) that is backed
up/converted automatically during the sync process. You *can* backup
the whole ppc through the main ActiveSync program but it's SLOW so I
backup to the card using "card backup" and then copy the backup folder
on the card to the pc via a card reader.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
November 17, 2008 3:07:42 PM

> Not sure I know what you're asking for. Notes is only going to see
> Notes files--and it's only going to see the files if they are in My
> Documents. Same with the other built-in apps--they can only see files
> in My Documents and one folder below it. You can move files somewhere
> else, including TWO folders down in My Documents, and they won't see the
> files but you'll have to use Explorer (or similar) to goto and open the
> files.

this is not exactly true :( 
if i select "All folders" in the Notes file list, it will actually show all files (also unknown types) in EVERY possible (but not really every... huh?) folder in the whole memory including the memory card.
the point with the "one level down" seems to be true though.
the funny thing is that it does not show "My Documents" in the folder selection so i cannot filter to see only the files in and below the "My Documents" - this is the very contrary to your explanation - so unless i make another special (my own fake) "my documents" folder somewhere and put all stuff there instead the "real" one so i can select it in the filter, otherwise i have to scroll and search through millions of irrelevant files in all Notes, Word and Powerpoint because they would show all files (but as i found that is also not all of them but just "chosen" by some magical rule somewhere)

is it even possible to have My Documents treated, searched and available just as every other folder in the memory? this is the root of all those questions about this folder including transfer to card, synchronization, and all that...

any magical registry tweak? i searched it through, removed all references to this folder and it still behaves the same way - it seems it's simply hard-coded in windows ppc - pretty dumb approach
May 19, 2011 2:42:32 AM

hi tim go to the file u wana hide make a newfolder and then rightclick new folder and click rename and then hold on alt key and press 0160 and the leave alt now u wil see ur folder name is blank then go to its properties and press customizze and the change folder icon and from there choose a empty folder without a icon u wil see it there and then select it now cut paste ur files in this folder and it wil be hidden and no 1 can see it hope this wil help u thanks
!