pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
since a few of u guys run dual PSU's i got a question for u

lets say i get this case (CM Stacker T01)

now lets say i had two 450w smart powers lying around (i dont).

if i wanted 1 PSU to power the Mobo and HDD's and an other to power the optical drives and vid card would i have to use the jumper thing from the green and black wire?

thanks

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I don't know about the jumper thing, but some things you may want to think about would be:

-Run your hardware off one and your cooling/lights/gizmos off the other one.

-I've seen some people use relays to get the main PSU to turn the other one on and off, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth unless you like hacking hardware. Nothing wrong with that, btw.

-Incorrectly wiring them together is BAD and DANGEROUS. Don't monkey about if you don't know what you're doing. Those things come sealed for a reason.

So after all that, here's a nice link to another forum with some other thoughts and links:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=111640

GL and don't electrocute yourself.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yes use a wire to connect the green and black togather. So when u flick the power switch at the back of the power supply it will switch on automatically. But make sure those 2 are the right wires to short out, otherwise dunno what will happen. Maybe blow up ur PSU, sometimes PSU will say which wire is PS-ON wire. Different brands of PSU sometimes use different color of wires for the PS-ON.

If you are going to use 2-3 independent PSU, u should first switch on the PSU for the H.D and optical drives, then switch on the PSU for the M.B & graphic card. Best to connect the M.B and graphic card on the same PSU. Cause dunno what will happen if the video gets power on first then the M.B.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All you really need to do if you want both to power up at the same time is get an inline splicer and join the two green wires. The motherboard can switch two power supplies that way, and will take care of the ground as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably, if they know about it. But self-tapping inline splicers leave a very small nick in the insulation, and the power supply company probably wouldn't notice.

If you're really paranoid about warranties, you could use a 6" ATX extension cable and tap into the green wire on the extender, rather than the power supply.