Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Re Punching up New Zealand

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 8, 2005 12:56:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
it before.

Butt
http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view...


Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
>Dallas

Dallas,

I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.

That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
so you have something to judge the colours by.

But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)

Cheers
Gary

Dallas wrote:
> "Gary"
>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>
> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>
> Dallas

NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor life.
Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live there.


--
Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
spring
>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
>Dallas

More about : punching zealand

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 8, 2005 1:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

here's the same area on flight sim. Could some one comment on the vertical
streaks on the water and how to correct TIA
Butts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Rotoiti....

"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:SWxTe.9524$iM2.893296@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
> thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
> it before.
>
> Butt
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view...
>
>
> Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
>>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>>
>>Dallas
>
> Dallas,
>
> I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
> just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
> one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
> I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>
> That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
> the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
> couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
> so you have something to judge the colours by.
>
> But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
> south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
>
> Cheers
> Gary
>
> Dallas wrote:
>> "Gary"
>>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>>
>> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
>> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>>
>> Dallas
>
> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
> life.
> Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
> mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
> then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
> you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
> there.
>
>
> --
> Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
> spring
>>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>>
>>Dallas
>
>
>
>
>
>
September 8, 2005 1:20:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"donbutts"
> here's the same area on flight sim. Could some one comment on the vertical
> streaks on the water and how to correct TIA
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Rotoiti....


I guess I don't see any vertical streaks on the water.. well maybe some
light vertical things, but not that bad. Maybe it's one of your monitor's
settings, that would affect both the jpg and the sim.

Dallas
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 8, 2005 1:22:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

wow where did you get that landclass and mesh?!?!? oh hang on i'll take my
simming glasses off....

very nice Don


"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:SWxTe.9524$iM2.893296@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
> thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
> it before.
>
> Butt
>
http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view...
>
>
> Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
> >
> >Dallas
>
> Dallas,
>
> I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
> just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
> one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
> I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>
> That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
> the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
> couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
> so you have something to judge the colours by.
>
> But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
> south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
>
> Cheers
> Gary
>
> Dallas wrote:
> > "Gary"
> >> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
> >> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
> >
> > Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
> > lately and your photos would be very interesting.
> >
> > Dallas
>
> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
life.
> Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
> mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
> then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
> you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
there.
>
>
> --
> Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
> spring
> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
> >
> >Dallas
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 8, 2005 1:35:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

haha Paul's comments came in before I posted the flightsim version

Butts


"Paul R" <rudmans@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:BhyTe.9529$iM2.893145@news.xtra.co.nz...
> wow where did you get that landclass and mesh?!?!? oh hang on i'll take my
> simming glasses off....
>
> very nice Don
>
>
> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:SWxTe.9524$iM2.893296@news.xtra.co.nz...
>> Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
>> thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've
>> posted
>> it before.
>>
>> Butt
>>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view...
>>
>>
>> Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
>> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>> >
>> >Dallas
>>
>> Dallas,
>>
>> I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
>> just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
>> one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
>> I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>>
>> That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
>> the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
>> couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
>> so you have something to judge the colours by.
>>
>> But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
>> south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gary
>>
>> Dallas wrote:
>> > "Gary"
>> >> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>> >> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>> >
>> > Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
>> > lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>> >
>> > Dallas
>>
>> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
> life.
>> Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
>> mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but
>> we
>> then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
>> you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
> there.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that
>> a
>> spring
>> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>> >
>> >Dallas
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 8, 2005 2:00:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Something that will help, if you don't already have it, is Christian
Stock's free NZ landclass: http://www.redbarent.com/nztopo-support.htm
It's not a big file, but it will have a dramatic effect on landcover.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 1:52:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi David
I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and, for,
example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big square
paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green version
is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron has town
improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both meshes on to
observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother depending on layer
in scenic library
Thanks
Butts



"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126144472.6045@forums.simradar.com...
> Something that will help, if you don't already have it, is Christian
> Stock's free NZ landclass: http://www.redbarent.com/nztopo-support.htm
> It's not a big file, but it will have a dramatic effect on landcover.
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 1:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and,
for,
example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big
square
paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green
version is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron
has town improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both
meshes on to observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother
depending on layer in scenic library

_____________________________________________________________________

Red Baron's supposed to be coming out with a new landclass soon, to
complement the new topo scenery. See
http://www.windowlight.co.nz/index.htm

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 8:50:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thats it David!!! of those two screen prints I am flying the top version.
The bottom is exactly New Zealand.. yay!!
Thanks for that
Don
"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126315973.22222@forums.simradar.com...
>
> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
> I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and,
> for,
> example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big
> square
> paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green
> version is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron
> has town improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both
> meshes on to observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother
> depending on layer in scenic library
>
> _____________________________________________________________________
>
> Red Baron's supposed to be coming out with a new landclass soon, to
> complement the new topo scenery. See
> http://www.windowlight.co.nz/index.htm
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 10:23:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Dallas
I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
water textures. The last one caused probs
Butts
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:o CtUe.8056$4P5.3336@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "donbutts"
>> try again
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1...
>
>
> Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
> that
> could be.
>
> If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2005 10:23:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I'm glad you posted, Don, about the NZ landclass. I was flying over 90
Mi. Beach last night and noticed that the coastlands were all covered
in crop-circles. Ian Thatcher's LC is much better, at least for this
area. Haven't compared them yet for urban areas.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
September 11, 2005 12:43:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"donbutts"
> Which is the best of the new available
> water textures. The last one caused probs


I posted this in 2004:

tried the Lyons water textures and while they were remarkable in their
ability to create the glass effect of reflected light, I couldn't stand the
little white wormy squiggles at low altitudes.

Kevin Rangel put together a composite of Lynn and Bill Lyons, Roger Austli,
and Ed Truthan textures to come up with a new one that works very well. The
worms are gone, the glass effect of reflected light is still there and these
textures do a better job of dealing with shallow clear waters.


In "gin clear" water (Caribbean etc) you can see the bottom in 30 feet
water. To complete the correct effect you would add just a reflective layer
over the top of a bottom texture to create the 3-D effect. Kevin Rangel's
water does this. The deeper water colors are also very reasonable.


This water texture is the best I've found so far.


Only one little downside, clear skies at sunset over the ocean gave some
weird effects. I would strongly suggest backing up your texture folder
until you're sure you want to keep it.


It's the top water download at Avsim this month:


http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=Root&DLID=43...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2005 1:55:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Butts,

The file "pwover.zip" is another popular one - Avsim.

Regards,
John Ward
"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:KZuUe.10337$iM2.944611@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Hi Dallas
> I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
> water textures. The last one caused probs
> Butts
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> news:o CtUe.8056$4P5.3336@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "donbutts"
>>> try again
>>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1...
>>
>>
>> Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
>> that
>> could be.
>>
>> If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
>>
>> Dallas
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 12, 2005 12:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

thanks guys.. I somehow knew the top echelon would reply with due diligence

Butts



"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:43237278$0$12088$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Hi Butts,
>
> The file "pwover.zip" is another popular one - Avsim.
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:KZuUe.10337$iM2.944611@news.xtra.co.nz...
>> Hi Dallas
>> I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
>> water textures. The last one caused probs
>> Butts
>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> news:o CtUe.8056$4P5.3336@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> "donbutts"
>>>> try again
>>>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1...
>>>
>>>
>>> Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
>>> that
>>> could be.
>>>
>>> If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
>>>
>>> Dallas
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!