Re Punching up New Zealand

Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
it before.

Butt
http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view&current=Lake_Rotoiti.jpg

Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
>Dallas

Dallas,

I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.

That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
so you have something to judge the colours by.

But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)

Cheers
Gary

Dallas wrote:
> "Gary"
>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
>
> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
>
> Dallas

NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor life.
Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live there.

--
Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
spring
>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
>
>Dallas
17 answers Last reply
More about punching zealand

    here's the same area on flight sim. Could some one comment on the vertical
    streaks on the water and how to correct TIA
    Butts

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Rotoiti.jpg

    "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
    > thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
    > it before.
    >
    > Butt
    > http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view&current=Lake_Rotoiti.jpg
    >

    > Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
    >>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    >>
    >>Dallas
    >
    > Dallas,
    >
    > I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
    > just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
    > one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
    > I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
    > I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
    >
    > That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
    > the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
    > couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
    > so you have something to judge the colours by.
    >
    > But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
    > south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary
    >
    > Dallas wrote:
    >> "Gary"
    >>> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
    >>> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
    >>
    >> Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
    >> lately and your photos would be very interesting.
    >>
    >> Dallas
    >
    > NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
    > life.
    > Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
    > mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
    > then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
    > you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
    > there.
    >

    > --
    > Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
    > spring
    >>photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    >>
    >>Dallas

    "donbutts"
    > here's the same area on flight sim. Could some one comment on the vertical
    > streaks on the water and how to correct TIA
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Rotoiti.jpg

    I guess I don't see any vertical streaks on the water.. well maybe some
    light vertical things, but not that bad. Maybe it's one of your monitor's
    settings, that would affect both the jpg and the sim.

    Dallas

    wow where did you get that landclass and mesh?!?!? oh hang on i'll take my
    simming glasses off....

    very nice Don

    "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
    > thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've posted
    > it before.
    >
    > Butt

    http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view&current=Lake_Rotoiti.jpg

    > Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
    > >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    > >
    > >Dallas
    >
    > Dallas,
    >
    > I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
    > just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
    > one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
    > I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
    > I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
    >
    > That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
    > the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
    > couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
    > so you have something to judge the colours by.
    >
    > But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
    > south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary
    >
    > Dallas wrote:
    > > "Gary"
    > >> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the
    > >> drive I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
    > >
    > > Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
    > > lately and your photos would be very interesting.
    > >
    > > Dallas
    >
    > NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
    life.
    > Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
    > mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but we
    > then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
    > you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
    there.

    > --
    > Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a
    > spring
    > >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    > >
    > >Dallas

    haha Paul's comments came in before I posted the flightsim version

    Butts

    "Paul R" <rudmans@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > wow where did you get that landclass and mesh?!?!? oh hang on i'll take my
    > simming glasses off....
    >
    > very nice Don
    >

    > "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry havn't had time to check out all posts and missed the end of this
    >> thread Here's a nice little spot 50 minutes south of my place I've
    >> posted
    >> it before.
    >>
    >> Butt
    >>
    > http://photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/?action=view&current=Lake_Rotoiti.jpg
    >>

    >> Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that a spring
    >> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    >> >
    >> >Dallas
    >>
    >> Dallas,
    >>
    >> I have to drive down from Auckland to Cambridge this weekend, that's
    >> just past Hamilton, about 2 hours drive, finishing about one hour and
    >> one range of hills short of Tauranga where Dons picture was taken.
    >> I'll take a digi camera with me, and every 10 minutes during the drive
    >> I'll snap a photo for my web gallery.
    >>
    >> That should give a fairly random mix to see what one little piece of
    >> the North Island looks like towards the end of winter. I'll include a
    >> couple of universally standard coloured things (eg McD's, Pizza hut)
    >> so you have something to judge the colours by.
    >>
    >> But yes it really is that green all the time except some parts of the
    >> south island where it tends to alternate between brown and white :-)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Gary
    >>
    >> Dallas wrote:
    >> > "Gary"
    >> >
    >> > Yes, do that!... I've had an increasing interest in visiting NZ
    >> > lately and your photos would be very interesting.
    >> >
    >> > Dallas
    >>
    >> NZ is a great place for a holiday, especially if you like the outdoor
    > life.
    >> Sally and I have visited six or more times for about five weeks each time
    >> mostly South Island. Every time we seriously consider living there, but
    >> we
    >> then think of how remote it is and how much we would miss Europe. I guess
    >> you have to be both young and a special kind of person to go and live
    > there.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Sincerely,Wow.. is it really that shade of green all the time or is that
    >> spring
    >> >photo? If it is, save me a place... I'll move there. :-)
    >> >
    >> >Dallas

    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1.jpg

    heres M/S default of same area

    Butts

    try again

    > >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1.jpg
    >
    > heres M/S default of same area
    >
    > Butts

    Sorry for hogging the thread. Here in New Zealand we were a little
    disappointed in the M/S interpretation of our country. Spot the difference
    in this area.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/Bay.jpg

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default2.jpg

    Butts

    Something that will help, if you don't already have it, is Christian
    Stock's free NZ landclass: http://www.redbarent.com/nztopo-support.htm
    It's not a big file, but it will have a dramatic effect on landcover.

    "donbutts"
    > try again
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1.jpg

    Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what that
    could be.

    If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.

    Dallas

    Hi David
    I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and, for,
    example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big square
    paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green version
    is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron has town
    improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both meshes on to
    observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother depending on layer
    in scenic library
    Thanks
    Butts

    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1126144472.6045@forums.simradar.com...

    ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
    I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and,
    for,
    example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big
    square
    paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green
    version is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron
    has town improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both
    meshes on to observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother
    depending on layer in scenic library

    Thats it David!!! of those two screen prints I am flying the top version.
    The bottom is exactly New Zealand.. yay!!
    Thanks for that
    Don
    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1126315973.22222@forums.simradar.com...

    > ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
    > I've been trying that Red Baron landclass. If you are using it and,
    > for,
    > example look north from Hamilton its an unreal constant grid of big
    > square
    > paddocks as far as the eye can see. The Ian Thatcher mottled green
    > version is still not correct but more like it. Then again the Red Baron
    > has town improvements etc that are excellent. I tried switching both
    > meshes on to observe result but that didn't work and its one or tother
    > depending on layer in scenic library

    Hi Dallas
    I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
    water textures. The last one caused probs
    Butts

    > "donbutts"
    >> try again
    >> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1.jpg
    >

    > Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
    > that
    > could be.
    >
    > If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
    >
    > Dallas

    I'm glad you posted, Don, about the NZ landclass. I was flying over 90
    Mi. Beach last night and noticed that the coastlands were all covered
    in crop-circles. Ian Thatcher's LC is much better, at least for this
    area. Haven't compared them yet for urban areas.

    "donbutts"
    > Which is the best of the new available
    > water textures. The last one caused probs

    I posted this in 2004:

    tried the Lyons water textures and while they were remarkable in their
    ability to create the glass effect of reflected light, I couldn't stand the
    little white wormy squiggles at low altitudes.

    Kevin Rangel put together a composite of Lynn and Bill Lyons, Roger Austli,
    and Ed Truthan textures to come up with a new one that works very well. The
    worms are gone, the glass effect of reflected light is still there and these
    textures do a better job of dealing with shallow clear waters.

    In "gin clear" water (Caribbean etc) you can see the bottom in 30 feet
    water. To complete the correct effect you would add just a reflective layer
    over the top of a bottom texture to create the 3-D effect. Kevin Rangel's
    water does this. The deeper water colors are also very reasonable.

    This water texture is the best I've found so far.

    Only one little downside, clear skies at sunset over the ocean gave some
    weird effects. I would strongly suggest backing up your texture folder
    until you're sure you want to keep it.

    It's the top water download at Avsim this month:

    http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=Root&DLID=43631

    Hi Butts,

    The file "pwover.zip" is another popular one - Avsim.

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > Hi Dallas
    > I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
    > water textures. The last one caused probs
    > Butts
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "donbutts"
    >>> try again
    >>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/donbutts/default1.jpg
    >>

    >> Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
    >> that
    >> could be.
    >>
    >> If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
    >>
    >> Dallas

    thanks guys.. I somehow knew the top echelon would reply with due diligence

    Butts

    "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Butts,
    >
    > The file "pwover.zip" is another popular one - Avsim.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Dallas
    >> I'm about to try an add on again. Which is the best of the new available
    >> water textures. The last one caused probs
    >> Butts
    >> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "donbutts"
    >>>

    >>> Yeah, I see the vertical "thingies" on the water. I have no idea what
    >>> that
    >>> could be.
    >>>
    >>> If that's the worst problem with your sim, you're doing great.
    >>>
    >>> Dallas

Photo World Of Warcraft Video Games