"Intel to Lower Pentium D Power Consumption"

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Intel’s Top Pentium D to Consume Less Power:
Intel Corp., the world’s largest maker of microprocessors for computers, has announced that a new version of the Pentium D processor will feature 35W lower power consumption of the top-of-the-range Pentium D 960 processor, allowing the chip to work in much more affordable systems.

Link --> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060615113237.html

New Pentium D's will have D0 stepping and the platform compatibility guide 05B will change to 05A...

Details --> http://intel.pcnalert.com/content/eolpcn/PCN106404-00.pdf

why they are chaning there PCG from 05B to 05A??? anyways... this seems good!

EDIT:

Change In Processors:----------------------Old sSpec--|--New sSpec
Intel Pentium D 960 3.6 GHz (VT)----------SL9AP----------SL9K7
Intel Pentium D 950 3.4 GHz (VT)----------SL95V----------SL9K8
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz (non-VT)-----SL9QB----------SL9QQ
Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz (non-VT)-----SL9D9----------SL9KA
Intel Pentium D 915 2.8 GHz (non-VT)-----SL9DA----------SL9KB

h_alone

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Isn't it strange that they will release those in Sep. 2 months after the Conroe? The PR is a bit misleading too. When i read it first I thought they are talking about 35W TDP P4. Was so excited about getting it for 150. But then found that it is 95W TDP. what a way to spin the facts. Stay with Conroe.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
It's still important along with the price cuts that are coming. It means that people would be paying less for a better CPU. It should make the Pentium Ds quite competitive at their price points even with the recent AMD price drops and pressure from Conroe in the higher price ranges.

It's interesting to note that the original D0 stepping Prescotts had the 3.4GHz single core 540 with a 115W TDP. Now we are looking at a 3.6GHz dual core 960D with a TDP of 95W. Goes to show that Intel has been making improvements and that it's manufacturing abilities are strong in order to correct a major flaw in the Netburst design, namely power consumption and heat.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The article just said 35W lower TDP, from 130W to 95W not a 35W TDP. I guess it's a bit finicky to read, but that's X-Bit Lab's grammer not specifically blaimed on Intel.

Them releasing this after Conroe isn't really that contradictory. It's just that the 65nm process is constantly improving and so the chips coming off the production line are getting better and better. Intel really didn't change anything on the chip and could have left the documentation claiming a 130W TDP while the chip really runs lower than 95W, but that'd be no fun for the marketing. It also points to potential benefits for the new Core 2 processors since they benefit from the better 65nm process as well. That's probably why all Woodcrests except the 3GHz model had their TDP droped from 80W to 65W and why the new Conroe stepping 5 can use lower voltages to achieve the same clock speeds.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Conroe won't necessarily be available in large numbers... look at the recent AM2 launch. Besides, not everyone will need Conroe, or have the necessary motherboard. Stop talking about how crappy NetBurst is(even though it is pretty bad) for a second and think in terms of raw performance. Pentium Ds can almost hold their own against X2s, and with this reduction in powerconsumption and price they are looking more attractive than ever. Intel's recent strategy means everyone gets better cpus for less money, and who can complain about that?

Faction

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I'm liking where Intel is going. 65nm all the way!

Did you hear, someone at xtremesystem forums got his Conroe to hit 5GHZ OC!!!!!!!!

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
oh sorry my mistake.. but isn't it quite stupid.. now the TDP is 95W, the same if not more than a conroe chip.. and Pentiium D is a whole lot worst.. so who will get a D?

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Great, more OC potential.
It's only their price that's attractive now.

BTW, I still havn't seen any C1 based D930-960 on sell yet.

yeah.. with Conroe releasing soon, the D series are for budget buyers

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
so far so good!... has anyone of you noticed that they have changed (lowered) there PCG (platform compatibility guide) from 05B (performance) to 05A (mainstream) processors... i wonder how will that contribute to and effect the performance of the CPU... also does the TDP differentiates between performance and mainstream processors? i mean if a processor has higher TDP then its a performance category processor??? wot is this nonsense? anyone...?

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I believe the proper term is FMB or Flexible Motherboard standards. Essentially these are guidelines for motherboard manufacturers to determine the power load these processors will handle so that they can design their motherboards accordingly. Computer builders also use it to determine the type of cooling that is required.

In 05A for example, the "05" defines the standard (generation) revision in this case this was introduced with the first Pentium Ds. The "A" defines the mainstream TDP of 95W while the "B" defines a performance TDP of 130W. No, lowering the FMB standard does not mean that there is a performance difference. They only label the FMBs performance and mainstream, because they assume the higher power consuming and hotter parts would be the high end models. Lowering the FMB only means that the processors run cooler and that they may no longer be the highest relative performing part. Their absolute performance is the same. As Wusy mentioned, it'll probably also mean they are great overclockers since they have more thermal headroom.

Since I've seen the comment come up again, improvements to the Pentium D does not contradict the launch of Conroe. Conroe processors will only reach into the low $200 range while the Pentium Ds go from the low $200 to the low $100. (The 805D goes below $100 but that's a Smithfield). Even with Conroe offering better performance and lower powre consumptioin, these new Pentium Ds are still a great value at their price, more so now with this new stepping. The fact that the 960D drops to the TDP of the 950D should mean there is a similar cascade in power consumption from the 950D going to the 940D, etc which means the entire product line is better positioned. The C1 stepping Pentium Ds already offered competitive power levels with the non-energy efficient X2s so this TDP drop should improve on that even more.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
BTW, I still havn't seen any C1 based D930-960 on sell yet.
I guess it varies. The 960D is available in quantity now and all 960Ds are C1 stepping of course.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116247

Availability of C1s in other models is finicky. I guess they just have too much overstock of B1s. There are reports that you can get them now though.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-102146.html

KrisTech who got a B1 950D on June 12th claims, that NewEgg would be restocking with C1s if she had waited 4 days and she's thinking of refunding and rebuying. I'm not sure how in the know she is though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116240

I'm pretty sure ZipZoomFly has them though.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80853

Requires Intel 945/955X Express chipset PCG05A
PCG05A is the FMB 05A or a 95W TDP which means C1 stepping. If they don't have it you can probably file a complaint for false advertising. (They probably don't know what it means anyways though).

bencip19

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
PCG05A is the FMB 05A or a 95W TDP which means C1 stepping. If they don't have it you can probably file a complaint for false advertising. (They probably don't know what it means anyways though).

Really? I have two 930's that say PCG05A, but they also have a product code ending in SL94R. According to Intel's website, this means that they have the B1 core stepping.

See http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/216413.htm

I'd really like to know--I've been looking for C1 core stepping, and if I have it, I'd be thrilled. Please let me know, as I have to open one of these boxes tomorrow morning (I have a 940 PCG05B that I also could open) to FINALLY build this machine.

Thanks!
Ben

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Sorry to disappoint, but both the 930s you have and the 940 are the B1 stepping. The fact that your 940D is a 130W TDP PCG05B part means that it must be B1 stepping because the 940D falls to a 95W TDP PCG05A rating in it's C1 stepping form. The 930Ds have always had a 95W PCG05A rating, but the SL94R S-Spec means that it's a B1 stepping.

Here's the official Product Change Notification for the C1 stepping from Intel:

http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/Processors/D0106083.pdf

C1 stepping processors all have a S-Spec beginning with SL95, the SL94 was the older B1 stepping.