Joe

I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
won't run anymore?

Thanks for your time & help.
Joe

"Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
>pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
>window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
>recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
>things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
>processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
>do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
>won't run anymore?
>
>Thanks for your time & help.
>Joe

Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and look at both the Startup and Services
tabs.

For the items listed in the Startup tab see
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

For the items listed in the Services tab see

Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes. Some
items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of your
computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Pier to pier?.. I am amazed that the network cable isn't affected by
immersion in water.. do you have any problems with jet skiers and
fishermen?.. :)

"Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
> pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
> window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
> recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
> things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
> processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
> do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
> won't run anymore?
>
> Thanks for your time & help.
> Joe

I didn't want to say anything, but since you started it; Maybe he should try
docking his taskbar elsewhere? :)

"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Pier to pier?.. I am amazed that the network cable isn't affected by
> immersion in water.. do you have any problems with jet skiers and
> fishermen?.. :)
>

> "Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
>> pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
>> window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
>> recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
>> things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
>> processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
>> do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
>> won't run anymore?
>>
>> Thanks for your time & help.
>> Joe

Yo Joe

If you look at the list of processes, you will notice that few of them are
using cpu time, leastways not until they are used.. you will also notice
that most do not use that much memory.. instant message systems are the
worst for memory usage generally.. most are doing no harm at all, and some
are vital to the operation of ant-virus and firewall..