running processes

I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
won't run anymore?

Thanks for your time & help.
Joe
4 answers Last reply
More about running processes

    "Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
    >pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
    >window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
    >recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
    >things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
    >processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
    >do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
    >won't run anymore?
    >
    >Thanks for your time & help.
    >Joe

    Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and look at both the Startup and Services
    tabs.

    For the items listed in the Startup tab see
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    For the items listed in the Services tab see

    Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
    startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
    consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes. Some
    items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of your
    computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Pier to pier?.. I am amazed that the network cable isn't affected by
    immersion in water.. do you have any problems with jet skiers and
    fishermen?.. :)

    "Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
    > pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
    > window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
    > recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
    > things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
    > processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
    > do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
    > won't run anymore?
    >
    > Thanks for your time & help.
    > Joe

    I didn't want to say anything, but since you started it; Maybe he should try
    docking his taskbar elsewhere? :)

    "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Pier to pier?.. I am amazed that the network cable isn't affected by
    > immersion in water.. do you have any problems with jet skiers and
    > fishermen?.. :)
    >

    > "Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
    >> pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
    >> window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
    >> recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
    >> things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
    >> processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
    >> do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
    >> won't run anymore?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time & help.
    >> Joe

    Yo Joe

    If you look at the list of processes, you will notice that few of them are
    using cpu time, leastways not until they are used.. you will also notice
    that most do not use that much memory.. instant message systems are the
    worst for memory usage generally.. most are doing no harm at all, and some
    are vital to the operation of ant-virus and firewall..

    "Joe" <weare4togo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a couple computers running XP Home. We are on a
    > pier to pier network. When I do the ctrl + Alt + del the
    > window shows some 50 or more processes running. I don't
    > recognize most of them. With Microsofts motto "to be all
    > things to everyone" I'm sure I don't use many of these
    > processes. How can I find out what they are or what they
    > do? Once I decide I don't need one can I delete it so it
    > won't run anymore?
    >
    > Thanks for your time & help.
    > Joe

Windows XP