ECS does not stand behind WARRANTY!

shankscomp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I bought a K7S5A as new from a retailer back in September of 2005. Called up ECS and they said they will NOT warranty the board because it's a discontinued board. Unfortunately for me, the company I bought it from has gone out of business.

So, what am I supposed to do? I called ECS, but they don't want to stand behind their products.

Anyone else have this kind of issue? I hope not!

Thanks
Tim Shanks

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
You could possibly contact the Better Business Bureau and see what kind of help they could lend.
"Lifetime Warranty" in some cases may mean the shelf life of the product, once discontinued the warranty may be no good.
Don't take my word for it....That's a 'best guess scenario'.
Raise a little hell with ECS.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
That board was discontinued a long time ago I think, I used some back in 2002. I bet that warranty was up a long time ago, authorized dealers would have sold their existing stock back to ecs when they were discontinued, I would guess whoever you bought it from wasn't authorized to sell their products.

shankscomp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
The company I got it from was a local retailer... I live in an area where there are very few computer stores.

The sad thing that I have an invoice and everything that even says 1 yr warranty on it.

Thanks
Tim

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The company I got it from was a local retailer... I live in an area where there are very few computer stores.

The sad thing that I have an invoice and everything that even says 1 yr warranty on it.

Thanks
Tim

Thats just a raw deal from them.
They could just exchange it for the closest thing they sale to keep the customer happy....but they do this insted.

I can't say I will stop buying ECS,as I have never bought from them,but I can be sure to never buy thier products!

shankscomp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
After I got my response from ECS yesterday, I took and sent an email to their MB sales, and the corp sales email addresses. Maybe someone in those departments can help. It makes me wonder how many others are out there that have the same issue as I have ran into.

I can understand that if I didn't have the proof of purchase, that they wouldn't warranty their products. And unfortunately, I don't have the manuals anymore, but IF I recall correctly, I believe their warranty states "1 yr from date of purchase".

Well, normally in the business/retail world, "the customer is always right"... Must not apply to ECS???

Thanks
Tim

pacificwoods

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
After I got my response from ECS yesterday, I took and sent an email to their MB sales, and the corp sales email addresses. Maybe someone in those departments can help. It makes me wonder how many others are out there that have the same issue as I have Tim

ECS is very slow at responding to your warranty. Their tech support dept is bad. I bought an ECS RS462-M board from Fry's in Sept 2006 now the it won't boot or finish the POST. They don't post their support number and all support issues have to go through email. It took me 2 days to get a case number from tech support and now waiting for the 3rd day to get a response from their RMA dept to send it in. I would not buy from ECS again. I dealt with ASUS and their support is much better. :( :(

thecomp

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Stay far away from ECS!!

The chipset fan on my KN1 Extrerme board (NF4 ultra single chipset, very hot) went dead so the system won't boot and when it does it just hangs, so I tried to find RMA, or contact info on their websit but can't find anything, there's no mention on RMA, warranty or even a contach phone #, I had to get it from a retailer.
so call finally call them up ask why no info on warranty or contact number on their website? the tech dept guy just ignore what i asked, and told me to transfer to another department.

Anyways I explain the problem to him, got a case # from him, he told me to call back and talk to the RMA deptment to process the return instead of transferring me, I called the RMA dept, get a answearing message that was extremely hard to understand, but I can make out to leave a message and they will call back part, so I did, 3 times, after 3 days still no one call me back.
I then contact them through the website tech support, and explain to them what's wrong and I have a case #, left 3 messages and need them to call me back, but instead of call answearing my concerns or get RMA to call me back this is what they reply back....
"FRESH INSTALL

You must do a fresh install of the OS using this motherboard onto the HDD you cannot take a HDD with a preinstalled OS from a different motherboard attach it to the current motherboard and expect it to boot up. It will reboot constantly.

Do a Fresh install of the OS onto the HDD using this motherboard."

no where did I mention anything about taking a HDD with OS from another system and putting it in this one, I told exactly what's wrong which is no boot and dead chipset fan (single chip NF4 ultra chipset) likely dead chipset as the result of the cheap dead fan they put on it.
it's unbelieable how they go out of their way to give bad service and avoid honoring the warranty.
stay far away form ECS, tell the friends, family and everyone on the web we as consumers shouldn't have to be treated like this.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006

Thanks
Tim

i don't get your point:
- bought it september 2005
- it says 1 year warranty

so warranty ended september 2006?
why are you complaining now? 8O

blaviddobrie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
Well if you would notice, his original comment was in June of 2006...your just a little later there buddy. But besides that, I'm a computer tech for a company, and in the last 3 days I've recieved 3 Ecs computers. And I can't recieve any information from their website about the problems I'm having with their equipment, not only that, but without completely disassembling the computer, there's no way for me to even tell what kind of hardware is inside it. so I second that notion, to tell everyone not to buy from ECS. Personally it would be easier to get kicked in the crotch with a golf shoe than to recieve technical support.

Whats is the board doing?

Those things seemed to take allot of abuse. i still have mine running.

There where allot of common probs.

Crashing/Resetting - Chipset overheating redo chipset with thermal good compound and super glue in the 2 corners
Cold boot issues - There was a hardware mod and a third party bios, both are supposed to fix it
No SSE in Model 8 CPU's - Use third Party Bios(HoneyX)

http://p199.ezboard.com/The-unoffic...boardforumfrm5.showMessage?topicID=1200.topic
There's a lot of K7S5A Info there too