  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 8, 2005 1:54:55 AM

I recall you writing about your encounter with the MSFS people at
AirVenture. You said for FS10 they are shifting the processing load over to
the "awesome power" of the graphics card.

I wonder if you would give us a bit more perspective on this. For instance:

Is FS9 currently "ignoring" the potential power in our graphics cards. If
so to what extent?

Is a modern graphics card really that much more powerful than the CPUs?

Are you basically saying that MS designed FS2 - FS9 to run on the processor
so more computers could fit the requirements without having to spend the big
bucks on a high end card and those days are over now?

I guess the big question is... if this is all correct, could we expect an
improvement in graphics processing with FS10 without having to upgrade the
CPUs/Computers we already have? Or can we keep the same CPUs and upgrade
some of the older cards to the new ones and get good results for a change?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Dallas

More about : hey bill leaming question

September 8, 2005 3:26:49 AM

> I guess the big question is... if this is all correct, could we expect an
> improvement in graphics processing with FS10 without having to upgrade the
> CPUs/Computers we already have? Or can we keep the same CPUs and upgrade
> some of the older cards to the new ones and get good results for a change?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...

And *if* FS10 is shifting the emphasis towards the GPU, will it support SLI
and forthcoming dual core GPU's? Would still like to know where FS10 is
going with Dual Core CPU's and 64 bit though, lots of us upgrade for Flight
Simulator all the time and like to be as future proof as possible.

Colin.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2005 1:50:26 PM

>And *if* FS10 is shifting the emphasis towards the GPU, will it support SLI
>and forthcoming dual core GPU's? Would still like to know where FS10 is
>going with Dual Core CPU's and 64 bit though, lots of us upgrade for Flight
>Simulator all the time and like to be as future proof as possible.

I am pretty sure that the next version of FS will finally exploit more
of the current GPU features, but as usual it will certainly be via
DirectX9. I have no idea how SLI interfaces with this API...

FS2004 exploits DX8 D3D and only requires DX9 for the multi player
support, FSXXX will certainly require a full DX9 card for the video
support as well.

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
Related resources
September 8, 2005 5:08:14 PM

(snip)

I personally feel that the DVD usage of the FX7804 will circumvent the GPU
as stated in the FGTD manual, and subsequently be utilized in the ASDF
segment of the VBG partiction quota. This will entail a redesigning of the
PST enigma situation derived from the HUG formula, and be directed to FS10
using the DD relativity device, which is not available as yet. So, save yer
money : )

====

Can't afford all the best!
Arthur

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

> FS2004 exploits DX8 D3D and only requires DX9 for the multi player
> support, FSXXX will certainly require a full DX9 card for the video
> support as well.
>
> ===
> All the best!
> Katy Pluta
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2005 9:57:00 PM

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:50:26 -0600, Katy Pluta wrote:

>>And *if* FS10 is shifting the emphasis towards the GPU, will it support SLI
>>and forthcoming dual core GPU's? Would still like to know where FS10 is
>>going with Dual Core CPU's and 64 bit though, lots of us upgrade for Flight
>>Simulator all the time and like to be as future proof as possible.
>
> I am pretty sure that the next version of FS will finally exploit more
> of the current GPU features, but as usual it will certainly be via
> DirectX9. I have no idea how SLI interfaces with this API...
>
> FS2004 exploits DX8 D3D and only requires DX9 for the multi player
> support, FSXXX will certainly require a full DX9 card for the video
> support as well.

According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
address the various video card hardware solutions.

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2005 10:54:14 PM

>According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>address the various video card hardware solutions.

Even better news, any idea when DX10 is due?

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 5:33:19 AM

"Colin" <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote in message
news:D 444e$431f68fd$545c31d3$29299@nf5.news-service.com...
>> I guess the big question is... if this is all correct, could we expect
>> an
>> improvement in graphics processing with FS10 without having to upgrade
>> the
>> CPUs/Computers we already have? Or can we keep the same CPUs and upgrade
>> some of the older cards to the new ones and get good results for a
>> change?
>>
>> Inquiring minds want to know...
>
> And *if* FS10 is shifting the emphasis towards the GPU, will it support
> SLI and forthcoming dual core GPU's? Would still like to know where FS10
> is going with Dual Core CPU's and 64 bit though, lots of us upgrade for
> Flight Simulator all the time and like to be as future proof as possible.
>
> Colin.

I read a report on the new 7800 series graphics cards , and future porgrams
will utilise the greater power of the GPU ( Graphics Processing Unit) . The
report I read gave this comparison :

In 1989 , the Cray " Super Computer " was rated at 1.5 TeraFlops ( Billion
calculations per second ).
The Extreme series of Intel 3.6 GB processors are rated at 35 TeraFlops.
The 7800 Graphics Card is rated at 156 TeraFlops.

Hopefully , FS10 will start to use more of the power available in the GPU ,
but as you all would be aware , not much has been heard about FS10.

Ross
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 5:33:20 AM

"QVA08" <sp@menot.com> wrote in

> Hopefully , FS10 will start to use more of the power available in the
> GPU , but as you all would be aware , not much has been heard about
> FS10.

it seems like most of the push on these new GPUs (other than pure
speed, which helps everything) is on vertex and pixel shaders. Not
sure how important that is to the flight sim problem.

scott s.
..
September 9, 2005 5:37:46 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 17:57:00 -0400, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:50:26 -0600, Katy Pluta wrote:
>
>>>And *if* FS10 is shifting the emphasis towards the GPU, will it support SLI
>>>and forthcoming dual core GPU's? Would still like to know where FS10 is
>>>going with Dual Core CPU's and 64 bit though, lots of us upgrade for Flight
>>>Simulator all the time and like to be as future proof as possible.
>>
>> I am pretty sure that the next version of FS will finally exploit more
>> of the current GPU features, but as usual it will certainly be via
>> DirectX9. I have no idea how SLI interfaces with this API...
>>
>> FS2004 exploits DX8 D3D and only requires DX9 for the multi player
>> support, FSXXX will certainly require a full DX9 card for the video
>> support as well.
>
>According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>address the various video card hardware solutions.

Which, if I understand correctly, will do more in the graphics
card/CPU/GPU and less in the computer's CPU. OTOH you still have buss
speed, cache (L1 and L2) size and speed, and memory speed.

There are a number of possibilities. They may take advantage of the
new multi core CPUs, They may take advantage of 64 bit systems, and/or
they may make more efficient use of current resources through the new
video cards.

I haven't seen anything that really tells us...yet.

However, as they (MS) are in business to make money and they will have
a much larger market, by orders of magnitude if DX10 does the work in
the Graphics card and will accommodate both 32 and 64 bit hardware as
well as dual core CPUs.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Bill
September 9, 2005 7:28:35 AM

> >According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They
> >are
>>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>>address the various video card hardware solutions.
>
> Even better news, any idea when DX10 is due?

I've heard DX10 may be available for XP late this year? I guess it will be
built into Vista.
I've also read that applications such as FS9 (older software) will actually
run slower in DX10 than in DX9 because MS are cutting backward compatibility
with DX 9, 8, 7 (link below) DX10 is also supposed to need a DX10 card to
get the best out of it ... do any exist at this time?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25902

Interesting times ahead ... Definitely holding off on my next major upgrade
for a while now.

Colin
September 9, 2005 7:28:36 AM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 03:28:35 +0100, "Colin" <asdasd@sdfasdf.com> wrote:

>> >According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They
>> >are
>>>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>>>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>>>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>>>address the various video card hardware solutions.
>>
>> Even better news, any idea when DX10 is due?
>
>I've heard DX10 may be available for XP late this year? I guess it will be
>built into Vista.
>I've also read that applications such as FS9 (older software) will actually
>run slower in DX10 than in DX9 because MS are cutting backward compatibility
>with DX 9, 8, 7 (link below) DX10 is also supposed to need a DX10 card to
>get the best out of it ... do any exist at this time?
>
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25902
>
>Interesting times ahead ... Definitely holding off on my next major upgrade
>for a while now.

Hey, you can always swap out one of those $400 or $500 video cards. Go
for it! <:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Colin

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 7:28:36 AM

>I've heard DX10 may be available for XP late this year? I guess it will be
>built into Vista.
>I've also read that applications such as FS9 (older software) will actually
>run slower in DX10 than in DX9 because MS are cutting backward compatibility
>with DX 9, 8, 7 (link below) DX10 is also supposed to need a DX10 card to
>get the best out of it ... do any exist at this time?

Well, yes it is a good idea to wait... Next system for sure will have
a PCIx video card, DX10 if needed, FS deserves no less... (oh my, how
can I explain to the IRS than I can't pay them because I need to
upgrade?) :-)

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
September 9, 2005 9:55:17 AM

"Katy Pluta"
> oh my, how can I explain to the IRS than I can't pay them because I need
> upgrade?) :-)

Easy... just write the upgrade off as a business expense.

And, if you ever get audited, be sure to eat about 5 cloves of raw garlic
before the audit and get right into the agent's face when answering
questions. You'll be out of there in 7 minutes. :-)

Dallas
September 9, 2005 10:01:43 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They
are
> already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
> that will be available.

Whoopee.. :-( That's not the great software/hardware architectural change
and performance gain I was hoping for.

Hey maybe FS10 will run on Xbox.

Dallas
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 10:34:04 AM

Hi Arthur,

You've certainly got a way with words, mate, or in this case, more
correctly, you've gotten away with words. :-)

Regards,
John Ward
"Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
> (snip)
>
> I personally feel that the DVD usage of the FX7804 will circumvent the GPU
> as stated in the FGTD manual, and subsequently be utilized in the ASDF
> segment of the VBG partiction quota. This will entail a redesigning of
> the PST enigma situation derived from the HUG formula, and be directed to
> FS10 using the DD relativity device, which is not available as yet. So,
> save yer money : )
>
> ====
>
> Can't afford all the best!
> Arthur
>

> "Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
>

>> FS2004 exploits DX8 D3D and only requires DX9 for the multi player
>> support, FSXXX will certainly require a full DX9 card for the video
>> support as well.
>>
>> ===
>> All the best!
>> Katy Pluta

September 9, 2005 1:38:28 PM

Speaking of 'boxes', I think it originally came in a tin box because MS knew
the CD's would need a little extra protection because FS10 will be a long
time coming.
Just another theory I snatched out of the blue while hallucinating one day.

Arthur

> "Bill Leaming"
>> According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They
> are
>> already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>> that will be available.
>
> Whoopee.. :-( That's not the great software/hardware architectural
> change
> and performance gain I was hoping for.
>
> Hey maybe FS10 will run on Xbox.
>

> Dallas

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 2:23:24 PM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:54:55 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> I recall you writing about your encounter with the MSFS people at
> AirVenture. You said for FS10 they are shifting the processing load over to
> the "awesome power" of the graphics card.
<snip>
> I guess the big question is... if this is all correct, could we expect an
> improvement in graphics processing with FS10 without having to upgrade the
> CPUs/Computers we already have? Or can we keep the same CPUs and upgrade
> some of the older cards to the new ones and get good results for a change?

First, understand that what the other team members and I learned during our
Q&A session with Brian and Susan is a synthesis of the answers given to
specific questions. The questions asked were of the sort that could be
answered without either of them breaking any NDAs they are under.

While it IS possible that some of our "synthetic answers" may be proved
incorrect, of this specific point I'm 100% confident.

When I inquired of Susan whether it would be to my advantage to learn more
about OpenGL, her reply was simply, "Well, *I* don't know the first thing
about OpenGL". Now, considering that she is the lead programmer for panels
and gauges, that was a pretty revealing statement... ;)

Having overheard my question, Brian offered up this: "I guess you haven't
been following DirectX 10 very closely, and are not aware of the really
cool things that X10 will allow!" He then went on to add comments about
how they were experimenting with the various shader opportunities to
achieve things like dynamic shadows on the aircraft itself, as well as
cloud shadows on the ground.

Having combined these answers with the recently posted "help wanted"
postings that have appeared for the MSFS team, it seems clear that they are
preparing to make a paradigm shift in the way that graphics are currently
being handled.

Since there is still the need to keep as much backward compatibility as
possible, it is self-evident that they will continue to support existing
hardware and video card limitations. Hence any NEW graphics rendering
advances included will be available for those who's hardware CAN support
them, as a configurable option.

Keep in mind that the MSFS team have always coded the program to run best
on tomorrow's hardware, instead of limiting it to only what is achievable
on today's average computer... ;)

As I'm not under any NDA at present, I can mention that there is a
first-ever "third party developers conference" scheduled to meet in
December. I have no idea who else in the development community have been
invited to attend, or even if it will include any of the more talented
"freeware" developers, but at the very least it reveals that MS has finally
taken note of the influence of third-party developers to continued growth
of their product... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 2:33:22 PM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:54:55 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> Is FS9 currently "ignoring" the potential power in our graphics cards. If
> so to what extent?
>
> Is a modern graphics card really that much more powerful than the CPUs?
>
> Are you basically saying that MS designed FS2 - FS9 to run on the processor
> so more computers could fit the requirements without having to spend the big
> bucks on a high end card and those days are over now?
>
> I guess the big question is... if this is all correct, could we expect an
> improvement in graphics processing with FS10 without having to upgrade the
> CPUs/Computers we already have? Or can we keep the same CPUs and upgrade
> some of the older cards to the new ones and get good results for a change?

Frankly, yes to the first question. The GPU on many video cards is at
least equal to, if not superior to the CPU in the host system. Remember
too that the GPU has been specifically designed to perform a specific task,
rather than being a "multi-purpose" processor.

This means that - even if not as "powerful" as the host CPU - since its
task is single-minded and specific, the GPU will ultimately deliver
superior performance than an equivalently powerful, general-purpose
processor.

In simplistic terms, FS is sending calculated "images" to the video cards
along with the instruction "display this," rather than sending "data
points" to the video card along with the instructions "calculate this and
then display it."

I'm confident that the next iteration of FS will continue to be backward
compatible, and that any advanced drawing features will be a selectable
option for those who's hardware & drivers can support them.

Bill
September 9, 2005 2:43:23 PM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:38:28 -0400, "Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Speaking of 'boxes', I think it originally came in a tin box because MS knew
>the CD's would need a little extra protection because FS10 will be a long
>time coming.
>Just another theory I snatched out of the blue while hallucinating one day.
>
>Arthur

Hello Arthur .. did you say `CD box'? well let's go off on a bit of a
tangent then. Here's a drawing for a 50x CD Jewel Case box. A fun
weekend wood project. The plan calls for Qty 8 which can hold a
total of 400 CD's. Designed by yours truly and for public release.

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/jewel_case.png

-Gregory

>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>

>> "Bill Leaming"
>>> According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
>>> already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>>> that will be available.
>>
>> Whoopee.. :-( That's not the great software/hardware architectural
>> change
>> and performance gain I was hoping for.
>>
>> Hey maybe FS10 will run on Xbox.
>>

>> Dallas

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 2:48:49 PM

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:54:14 -0600, Katy Pluta wrote:

>>According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
>>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>>address the various video card hardware solutions.
>
> Even better news, any idea when DX10 is due?

Katy, not at this time.... I suspect I'll learn more within the next few
months though, if not before.

According to the report from the recent "Games Devloper Conference" held in
Europe, MS has announced that the proposed name of "Windows Graphics
Foundation" has been abandoned, and that it will be released as "DirectX
10."

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25902

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2005 6:46:13 PM

Hi Katy,

Wear your best tie, mate, and make sure you comb your hair!!

Regards,
John Ward
> >I've heard DX10 may be available for XP late this year? I guess it will
> >be
>>built into Vista.
>>I've also read that applications such as FS9 (older software) will
>>actually
>>run slower in DX10 than in DX9 because MS are cutting backward
>>compatibility
>>with DX 9, 8, 7 (link below) DX10 is also supposed to need a DX10 card to
>>get the best out of it ... do any exist at this time?
>
> Well, yes it is a good idea to wait... Next system for sure will have
> a PCIx video card, DX10 if needed, FS deserves no less... (oh my, how
> can I explain to the IRS than I can't pay them because I need to
> upgrade?) :-)
>
> ===
> All the best!
> Katy Pluta
September 9, 2005 6:46:14 PM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:46:13 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Katy,
>
> Wear your best tie, mate, and make sure you comb your hair!!

But don't dress too nice or they'll think you're up to someting.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Regards,
>John Ward
>"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I've heard DX10 may be available for XP late this year? I guess it will
>> >be
>>>built into Vista.
>>>I've also read that applications such as FS9 (older software) will
>>>actually
>>>run slower in DX10 than in DX9 because MS are cutting backward
>>>compatibility
>>>with DX 9, 8, 7 (link below) DX10 is also supposed to need a DX10 card to
>>>get the best out of it ... do any exist at this time?
>>
>> Well, yes it is a good idea to wait... Next system for sure will have
>> a PCIx video card, DX10 if needed, FS deserves no less... (oh my, how
>> can I explain to the IRS than I can't pay them because I need to
>> upgrade?) :-)
>>
>> ===
>> All the best!
>> Katy Pluta

September 9, 2005 10:37:59 PM

"Bill Leaming"
> As I'm not under any NDA at present,

Thanks for all that...

I am constantly amazed at how tight lipped MS is about FS releases. I can
see being quiet about some surprises for marketing's sake. And, I can see
being quiet about things being developed that might not make it to the
release. But, I see nothing wrong with letting out a few generalities of
what to expect, that's actually a good marketing strategy to keep the buzz
going.

MS treats FS as if it were the Manhattan Project.

Dallas
September 9, 2005 10:48:04 PM

"Gregory"
> Here's a drawing for a 50x CD Jewel Case box.
> http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/jewel_case.png

Gregory, as our resident engineering nerd, I must say that I am
disappointed.

I expected at least an AutoCAD drawing or perhaps even a downloadable .DWG
file.

....And perhaps a Bill of Materials in a spreadsheet?

Dallas
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2005 9:43:07 PM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:37:59 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Bill Leaming"
>> As I'm not under any NDA at present,
>
> Thanks for all that...

Well, as of this afternoon, I couldn't have even told you that much...

> MS treats FS as if it were the Manhattan Project.

LOL! Yeah, are they afraid of the intense competition in the flightsim
market? ;)

Bill
September 11, 2005 3:06:29 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> >> As I'm not under any NDA at present,
> Well, as of this afternoon, I couldn't have even told you that much...

Ah! Have we signed a NDA with the evil empire?

Dallas
September 11, 2005 3:08:15 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> LOL! Yeah, are they afraid of the intense competition in the flightsim
> market? ;)

From now on I'm not calling it FS10, I'm call it the "Manhattan Project".

:-)

Dallas
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2005 1:58:01 PM

Hi Dallas,

MSMP - it does have a certain ring to it! :-)

Regards,
John Ward

> "Bill Leaming"
>> LOL! Yeah, are they afraid of the intense competition in the flightsim
>> market? ;)
>
> From now on I'm not calling it FS10, I'm call it the "Manhattan Project".
>
> :-)
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2005 7:29:53 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:06:29 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Bill Leaming"
>> Well, as of this afternoon, I couldn't have even told you that much...
>
> Ah! Have we signed a NDA with the evil empire?

I must invoke my Fifth Amendment right in this instance... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2005 7:30:31 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:08:15 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Bill Leaming"
>> LOL! Yeah, are they afraid of the intense competition in the flightsim
>> market? ;)
>
> From now on I'm not calling it FS10, I'm call it the "Manhattan Project".

"Martini Project..." more a propos... ;)

Bill
September 20, 2005 5:24:43 PM

wrote:

>According to Brian, the next FS will be using DirectX v10.x... ;)  They are
>already working out how to best use the shaders and other neat features
>that will be available. What DX10 will offer is more cross-compatibility
>on the software side so that programmers will have a "common API" to
>address the various video card hardware solutions.

>Bill

Bill, 2 questions....first do you think FS10 will be XML only and
second do you think FS10 will make use of the new multicore CPU's?
!