My first VOIP call

Last response: in Networking
April 3, 2005 5:41:46 AM

Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on the landline
through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot I have
configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however they
did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference. Where
is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to hear
as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to use
both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899 say
they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good deal
on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline to
landline.
Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

More about : voip call

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:24:27 PM

In message <E7kB9AB62yTCFwIV@fitzwilliamonline.com>, Derrick Fawsitt
<46@fitzwilliamonline.com> writes
>Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
>today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
>1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
>minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on the landline
>through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot I have
>configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however they
>did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference. Where
>is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to hear
>as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to use
>both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899
>say they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good
>deal on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline
>to landline.
>Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
My apologies, unfortunately I posted this question twice by accident, so
sorry.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
!