Unwanted Desktop Icons

I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart my
computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.

The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%98%A2%EB%A8%B7

How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
them?
3 answers Last reply
More about unwanted desktop icons

    Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type in
    msconfig
    click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they are,
    uncheck them.

    Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on your
    desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
    "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
    > Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart
    my
    > computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
    > offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
    >
    > The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
    > http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%98%A2%EB%A8%B7
    >
    > How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
    > them?

    The items are not listed under the Startup tab. I don't want to hide my task
    bar, so your second suggestion will not work for me. Both of these items are
    URLs. Is there another way to eliminate them--perhaps a registry key?

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type
    > in
    > msconfig
    > click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they are,
    > uncheck them.
    >
    > Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on your
    > desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
    > "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
    >> Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart
    > my
    >> computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
    >> offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
    >>
    >> The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
    >> http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%98%A2%EB%A8%B7
    >>
    >> How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
    >> them?

    I didn't mean to suggest that you hide your taskbar, what I meant was you
    can hide those specific items.

    On taskbar properties, you can, on the first tab (taskbar) click customize,
    then you will see a list of items with the choice to 'always hide, always
    show, or hide when inactive'
    If they can be moved from the desktop to the taskbar, I think the you will
    be able to delete them, then you can select always hide from the
    taskbar/customize choices.
    I take it that you use MS Money, but if you don't, you can always uninstall
    that component from your system.
    As far as a registry key, well, I'm not comfortable giving advice on that,
    however, look for the registry keys through your 'search' option.

    Go to Start>search>all files and folders, then type in bankone in the first
    two fields, then click the 'more advanced options', then in the field that
    asks 'type of file, click the arrow and scroll down until you find the
    registration option, then click search.
    From there, you should be able to find where they are located in the
    registry. ( if it comes up with nothing, try typing in bankone.com, or bank
    one ( note the space)
    Post back with your results, but don't delete anything yet. It may be that
    these advertisments are required in order for your MS Money to work, much
    like when downloading things from the internet, you click 'I accept', in the
    agreement part of the process, and by accepting, you also agree to the
    advertisements, and if you remove or delete them, the program won't function
    correctly.

    > The items are not listed under the Startup tab. I don't want to hide my
    task
    > bar, so your second suggestion will not work for me. Both of these items
    are
    > URLs. Is there another way to eliminate them--perhaps a registry key?
    >

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type
    > > in
    > > msconfig
    > > click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they
    are,
    > > uncheck them.
    > >
    > > Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on
    your
    > > desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
    ..
    > > "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by
    Microsoft
    > >> Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I
    restart
    > > my
    > >> computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I
    am
    > >> offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
    > >>
    > >> The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
    > >> http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%98%A2%EB%A8%B7
    > >>
    > >> How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and
    elimiinate
    > >> them?

Desktop Icons Microsoft Icons Windows XP