Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unwanted Desktop Icons

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:22:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart my
computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.

The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%...

How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
them?

More about : unwanted desktop icons

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 12:27:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type in
msconfig
click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they are,
uncheck them.

Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on your
desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 0IUBaqoEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
> Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart
my
> computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
> offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
>
> The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
> http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%...
>
> How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
> them?
>
>
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The items are not listed under the Startup tab. I don't want to hide my task
bar, so your second suggestion will not work for me. Both of these items are
URLs. Is there another way to eliminate them--perhaps a registry key?



"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
news:uCuAgNwoEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type
> in
> msconfig
> click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they are,
> uncheck them.
>
> Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on your
> desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
> "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:o 0IUBaqoEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by Microsoft
>> Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I restart
> my
>> computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I am
>> offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
>>
>> The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
>> http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%...
>>
>> How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and elimiinate
>> them?
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:25:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I didn't mean to suggest that you hide your taskbar, what I meant was you
can hide those specific items.

On taskbar properties, you can, on the first tab (taskbar) click customize,
then you will see a list of items with the choice to 'always hide, always
show, or hide when inactive'
If they can be moved from the desktop to the taskbar, I think the you will
be able to delete them, then you can select always hide from the
taskbar/customize choices.
I take it that you use MS Money, but if you don't, you can always uninstall
that component from your system.
As far as a registry key, well, I'm not comfortable giving advice on that,
however, look for the registry keys through your 'search' option.

Go to Start>search>all files and folders, then type in bankone in the first
two fields, then click the 'more advanced options', then in the field that
asks 'type of file, click the arrow and scroll down until you find the
registration option, then click search.
From there, you should be able to find where they are located in the
registry. ( if it comes up with nothing, try typing in bankone.com, or bank
one ( note the space)
Post back with your results, but don't delete anything yet. It may be that
these advertisments are required in order for your MS Money to work, much
like when downloading things from the internet, you click 'I accept', in the
agreement part of the process, and by accepting, you also agree to the
advertisements, and if you remove or delete them, the program won't function
correctly.



"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o OnEhJYpEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> The items are not listed under the Startup tab. I don't want to hide my
task
> bar, so your second suggestion will not work for me. Both of these items
are
> URLs. Is there another way to eliminate them--perhaps a registry key?
>
>
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:uCuAgNwoEHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Try looking for them in your startup tab. To do this, go to 'Run' type
> > in
> > msconfig
> > click the startup tab, and see if they are listed there, and if they
are,
> > uncheck them.
> >
> > Or else, you could drag them to your taskbar, then delete the ones on
your
> > desktop, then go into taskbar properties and select 'always hide'
..
> > "W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 0IUBaqoEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> I have a couple of desktop icons, both having been installed by
Microsoft
> >> Money, that I cannot eliminate. After deleting them, each time I
restart
> > my
> >> computer they reappear. Both icons are shortcuts for web sites where I
am
> >> offered an opportunity to sign up for something I don't want.
> >>
> >> The urls are: http://www.bankone.com/ and
> >> http://home.ingdirect.com/promo/promo_set.asp?p=%99%9E%...
> >>
> >> How can I track down the sources of these offending icons and
elimiinate
> >> them?
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
!