Tired of Asus' attitude....

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I am tired of Asus' attitude of 'we sold it to you, now you're on your own'.

Had an an8-sli deluxe, the fan died. Bought a replacement, a8n32-sli, now it cannot keep the MB battery charged.

Still waiting on the fan replacement for the a8n-sli deluxe, and have no response to the 5 month-old battery that can't hold its charge.

I've been waiting on the fan for 9 months, and have been waiting on a reply for the problem with the battery for 3 months now.

Will I be any happier with dfi's support?

Planned MB is now a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI Expert.

All opinions will be taken with the grain of salt that they deserve....

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Hahaha Yep Asus SUX hard core.....

They will tell you anytink possible to make it look like its your fault that the MB isnt working!

I have P5N32 SLI deluxe

Asus says a 550 wat Tagan isnt powerful enough to run this MB and I need a minimum 600 wats!!!!!

Their products are rushed with incomplete Bios... Bios that dont even suport Dual core..... So you have to flash the bios with an old single core chip half the time!

I miss my Abit IC7G..... Abit's good quality stuff even if you must spend a bit more for it you wont suffer the pains of Asus tec suport!

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
My ASUS mobo worked right out of the box... :p
As a safety measure I flashed the BIOS, but it was working fine with the default BIOS. Ok ok, I do not have dual-core, and it isn't a high-end system either. But I can't complain, since there's nothing to complain about. :wink:

I've read so many posts like this one... I'm starting to think I had luck with my mobo!! Maybe because is a new revision, and it would have several bugs fixed, I don't know...

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I've used about 50 asus boards and have never had any problems with any of them ..... a8n32-sli ran dual core out of the box no bios flash ....

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I've had no problems with my 2 ASUS motherboards from 2 generations of hardware. Of course, this doesn't mean motherboards are 100% reliable. Bios chips can get damaged, fans can die, capacitors can explode, circuits can become shorted, slots become distorted and sockets burned. Since motherboards carry so many weaknesses in their design most motherboard manufacturers are brilliant at keeping to their warranties. It is, however, a shame that you have received poor service and I certainly will pay attention to it for my next purchase.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

I have personally heard similar things about asus rma department. It's pretty nasty when a large company feels it can push around its end users. However I can say worse things about MSI. Basically what it boils down to is there's too many idiots that use their products. Until you've worked at a retail computer store you don't realize just how ignorant the general public can be. From what you've said I do agree with asus fortelling you to ah heck off. I just don't agree with how they make false promises.

Had an an8-sli deluxe, the fan died. Bought a replacement, a8n32-sli, now it cannot keep the MB battery charged.
You're implying that motherboards charge the battery. This is not true.

Still waiting on the fan replacement for the a8n-sli deluxe, and have no response to the 5 month-old battery that can't hold its charge.
If your watch battery died would you expect a new one for free?

I've been waiting on the fan for 9 months, and have been waiting on a reply for the problem with the battery for 3 months now.

Again, if your CPU fan quit would you expect it to be replaced under warranty? Fans are a consumable. So I think you'll be waiting for a while.

This is subjective.
From the issues you've described to me about asus. DFI will probably tell you to ah heck off. They would probably just find a nicer way of doing it. If you came into my store with the issues you described I would also tell you to get lost.

Here's my opinion:
Stop complaining about consumables. They do not last forever. Your local computer store should be able to sell you a new battery for $3. If you bought a new motherboard because of a $3 battery there's obviously something wrong with you.

If you want a new fan, again, your local computer store can sell you a replacement one for about $5. In fact, if you want to get really fancy I'm sure you can go buy a fancy noiseless one for about $15 or $20. Get a nice little upgrade for your troubles.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I have personally heard similar things about asus rma department. It's pretty nasty when a large company feels it can push around its end users. However I can say worse things about MSI. Basically what it boils down to is there's too many idiots that use their products. Until you've worked at a retail computer store you don't realize just how ignorant the general public can be. From what you've said I do agree with asus fortelling you to ah heck off. I just don't agree with how they make false promises.

Again, if your CPU fan quit would you expect it to be replaced under warranty? Fans are a consumable. So I think you'll be waiting for a while.

This is subjective.
From the issues you've described to me about asus. DFI will probably tell you to ah heck off. They would probably just find a nicer way of doing it. If you came into my store with the issues you described I would also tell you to get lost.

Here's my opinion:
Stop complaining about consumables. They do not last forever. Your local computer store should be able to sell you a new battery for $3. If you bought a new motherboard because of a $3 battery there's obviously something wrong with you.

If you want a new fan, again, your local computer store can sell you a replacement one for about $5. In fact, if you want to get really fancy I'm sure you can go buy a fancy noiseless one for about $15 or $20. Get a nice little upgrade for your troubles.

And I suppose that if you bought a new 'fridge, and a bit on it died while under warranty, you'd be happy going to an after-market parts supplier and replacing that bit yourself... Yeah, right... Not to mention that this then invalidates the rest of your warranty!

Warranty replacement is what I'm after, I can get a northbridge aftermarket fan for 15$.

As to the battery, again its a warranty issue. And yes, if my new shiny Seiko's battery died, I'd expect a new one installed by a trained tech for free... And Seiko would probably rma the whole watch so they could examine the fault and then fix the process that allowed it out of the manufacturing facility in the first place.

As to us 'idiots' buying parts, please tell me where you work so's I can avoid buying any parts ever from there.

And yes, if my new shiny Seiko's battery died, I'd expect a new one installed by a trained tech for free... And Seiko would probably rma the whole watch so they could examine the fault and then fix the process that allowed it out of the manufacturing facility in the first place.

Idiots like you give the computer business a bad rep...

Lingonzylt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I have 2 Asus boards for 3-4 years and both being overclocked since day 1, never had any problems

My favorit, P4P800E-Delux died for a couple of days ago, probably caused by long time overheating..or it could be the fact that it been mounted/dismounted several times in different cases, with watercooling mounted on and off, it had a hard life, so understand why it broke.

During these years i asked Asus support one question and i think they could be more helpful

My question:

[[Problem Description]
Just bought CT-479 adapter for my P4P800-E Delux, that have bios support, but i would prefere using
it on my P4P800 mobo instead...so i searched and
read the following on your forum :

"But I believe beta Bios 1021 [for P4P800] is made to support CT-479."

Is this true?

And if not: Are you planning to add that support?

Thanks for your answer in advance :eek:]

And the answer i got was this stupid standard answer:

Hi!
You can download the manuals for specific motherboards and se if its supported. Manuals can be downloaded from support.asus.com.

Best Regards
David Hammer
Asus TSD Support

I just orderd a Asus P5B-Deluxe, but i wont bother contacting the support ever again

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
And I suppose that if you bought a new 'fridge, and a bit on it died while under warranty, you'd be happy going to an after-market parts supplier and replacing that bit yourself... Yeah, right... Not to mention that this then invalidates the rest of your warranty!
If I bought a fridge and the motor burnt out a couple months after I got it I would expect it to be replaced. Because the motor is not a consumable! A battery is. I suppose you should complain to the local ice-cream shop for selling you ice-cream that didn't last 15 minutes in the sun. The box guarantees freshness till 2010. What you're asking Asus to do is the same thing as asking a car company to give you a new car because after 3 months the oil is dirty.

Warranty replacement is what I'm after,
Fans are consumables.

I can get a northbridge aftermarket fan for 15$.
Then stop being cheap.

As to the battery, again its a warranty issue.
No it's not.

And yes, if my new shiny Seiko's battery died, I'd expect a new one installed by a trained tech for free... And Seiko would probably rma the whole watch so they could examine the fault and then fix the process that allowed it out of the manufacturing facility in the first place.
If Seiko is doing that it is good customer service. Companies doing more than what is required is always good for us as consumers but you should not have this expectation.

As to us 'idiots' buying parts, please tell me where you work so's I can avoid buying any parts ever from there.
I would like to take this moment to officially fire you as a customer.

And yes, if my new shiny Seiko's battery died, I'd expect a new one installed by a trained tech for free...
Completey unreasonable to expect that.

And Seiko would probably rma the whole watch so they could examine the fault and then fix the process that allowed it out of the manufacturing facility in the first place.
Yes. Defective batteries are clearly a problem in the entire watch. You are completely right. Next time you need new brake pads for your car I expect you to replace the entire car.

You remind me of a customer I had a couple months ago that came in with Sony CD-R's and he wanted a refund because he was trying to copy CD's from the Sony recording label and failed. Yes, in the act of trying to steal from Sony he screwed up, and now he expects Sony to re-imburse him for the $3 he spent on CDs with a lifetime warranty. You sir are a jack ass.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
It's all to do with your attitude.

Either you believe a product should work for at least a year under a manufacturer's warranty, including fans, batteries etc, because

that's what you paid for

or you don't and warranties become worthless.

I don't beleive it's fair for Joe Average to have to buy new fans and batteries for a new motherboard and install them, adding more onto the price he originally paid, just because the manufacturer put in bad batteries and doesn't check the fans properly.

Some people buy products because they want the peace of mind provided by the warranty. For me (and Croc) that would include everything the product needs to work properly, including fans, batteries etc, otherwise it's been sold while being not up the job it's purported to do.

For antichrysler, it seems that a warranty doesn't cover batteries and fans. How about loose connectors, wobbly capacitors and ill fitting heatsinks? They might be OK for a month or two, but that doesn't stop the board from being craply quality controlled.

And if Asus are putting in cruddy batteries and bad fans, that doesn't say much for their quality control. If they aren't willing to fix it, quick, that says even less about their customer service.

Damn, if I had a brand to protect, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd want to fix, quick. If word got around I'm not even checking batteries and fans, the next step is for people to think I'm not checking more important things, and

BAM!

losing customers by the hundreds.

Or worse, having them bitch about me on open internet forums, peopled by exactly the kind of folk who buy my products...

bjornm

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If I bought a fridge and the motor burnt out a couple months after I got it I would expect it to be replaced. Because the motor is not a consumable! A battery is. I suppose you should complain to the local ice-cream shop for selling you ice-cream that didn't last 15 minutes in the sun. The box guarantees freshness till 2010. What you're asking Asus to do is the same thing as asking a car company to give you a new car because after 3 months the oil is dirty.
What would you do if your car battery was discharged and needed to be replaced after one month?

Fans are consumables. No they are not.

Then stop being cheap.
I would not call anyone who does not want to spend money on what he already paid for cheap. I would call him reasonable. I would call the guy not not wanting to replace a broken component still under warranty cheap.

No it's not. If the battery is 5 months old, it is indeed a warranty issue.

If Seiko is doing that it is good customer service. Companies doing more than what is required is always good for us as consumers but you should not have this expectation.
Maybe not in your store no... But to have a faulty battery replaced?

Too late. He will never be your customer and neither will I. Neither will anyone on this forum if they knew which store you represent.

And yes, if my new shiny Seiko's battery died, I'd expect a new one installed by a trained tech for free...
No.

And Seiko would probably rma the whole watch so they could examine the fault and then fix the process that allowed it out of the manufacturing facility in the first place.
Yes. Defective batteries are clearly a problem in the entire watch. You are completely right. Next time you need new brake pads for your car I expect you to replace the entire car.
No, but in this case it would be good customer service to replace the whole watch. Not needed though.

You remind me of a customer I had a couple months ago that came in with Sony CD-R's and he wanted a refund because he was trying to copy CD's from the Sony recording label and failed. Yes, in the act of trying to steal from Sony he screwed up, and now he expects Sony to re-imburse him for the $3 he spent on CDs with a lifetime warranty. You sir are a jack ass.
Not a very smart customer you had. You are the jack ass though.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

I had a similar experience with the battery on my A8N-E. They say you have to remove the battery when you reset the motherboared BIOS. I tried, but I could not because it is mounted in plastic. Soon afterwards I had the same problems.

One thing I did notice is that pins only barely touch the battery. I had to bend the pins further and tape them to the battery to resolve the issue. This may be your motherboard's problem as well. After this fix, everything works. It's worth a look and try. :D

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Ive' buitl hundreds and hundreds of machines with asus over the years. I've had exactly 2 motherboards fail, one was doa, the other died after a couple months. I rma'd them and had replacements in under 2 weeks. I don't think you guys know how to be assertive enough :D

Tell them it's a critical business system and you need this done asap, they won't even ask questions if you do it right, oh and say you've been using their stuff for years and never had a problem before, they'll feel for ya 8)

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
What would you do if your car battery was discharged and needed to be replaced after one month?
Yes, I would. Because it is a rechargable battery that carries its own warranty.

Fans are consumables. No they are not.
The dictionary defines consumables as the following:
That may be depleted or worn out by use
A fan is depleted and worn out by use.

Then stop being cheap.
I would not call anyone who does not want to spend money on what he already paid for cheap. I would call him reasonable. I would call the guy not not wanting to replace a broken component still under warranty cheap.
I would if it was over a consumable.

No it's not. If the battery is 5 months old, it is indeed a warranty issue.
Again, you are wrong. Read the definition of a consumable. The warranty explicitly states that consumables are not covered by warranty.

Maybe not in your store no... But to have a faulty battery replaced?
Again, Seiko went above and beyond what is required. Not all companies will do this. They are not required to. You shouldn't expect every company to do more than what is required.

Too late. He will never be your customer and neither will I. Neither will anyone on this forum if they knew which store you represent.
Good. I don't want your business.

No.
Yes. The pimple faced teenager at wal-mart will suffice in replacing your battery.

No, but in this case it would be good customer service to replace the whole watch. Not needed though.
I agree. It is fantastic customer service and I would love to deal with a company that treats their customers like that.

Not a very smart customer you had. You are the jack ass though.
Both of you bare a striking resemblence to the persistence he had. It is your attitude though. Just some personal advice.. one person to another. By persisting the way you are and not understanding how the world works will lead you to live a miserable life. If you EXPECT every single person or company to give you the best service possible you will always be disappointed. You should rather realize what is required and what someone can do. There is a definite distinction.

unstable

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Funny that in my many years in I.T. that it's very rare to replace batteries on systems. Fans are also fairly rare...I've encountered systems that are 7+ years old where the fans and batteries still operate.

Certainly there are exceptions to the rules---but if I had a system that was under a year old and these components failed I would probably just replace them at my own cost...HOWEVER; I think it's 100% reasonable to request the manufacturer to replace these items.

In the same breath, I do think that complaining about these minor items is pointless and that's why you've probably received some backlash from the Asus Lovers of the world. Most of the dealings I've had with Mobo manufacturers will require an RMA of the board...it's just not worth the hassle for a fan and a battery.

One final parting thought...if a less-than-saavy user had a chipset fan die...and did not notice this, what would happen to the machine? Obviously it would smoke given enough time....and would this problem fall in the lap of the manufacturer or the user?

Ultimately I think that a failed chipset fan within warranty is absolutely the responsibility of the manufacturer to handle...If they questioned this I would ask them if they'd send me a new motherboard when this one smokes from running without a fan....and leave it at that.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Funny that in my many years in I.T. that it's very rare to replace batteries on systems. Fans are also fairly rare...I've encountered systems that are 7+ years old where the fans and batteries still operate.
You're right. Although I've seen fans fail more often than batteries. Batteries are a rarity.

Certainly there are exceptions to the rules---but if I had a system that was under a year old and these components failed I would probably just replace them at my own cost...HOWEVER; I think it's 100% reasonable to request the manufacturer to replace these items.
You are 100% right. It is perfectly reasonable to REQUEST these items. But it should not be expected that they replace them free of charge. If they replace them free of charge it is just good customer service.

In the same breath, I do think that complaining about these minor items is pointless and that's why you've probably received some backlash from the Asus Lovers of the world. Most of the dealings I've had with Mobo manufacturers will require an RMA of the board...it's just not worth the hassle for a fan and a battery.
You are completely right.

One final parting thought...if a less-than-saavy user had a chipset fan die...and did not notice this, what would happen to the machine? Obviously it would smoke given enough time....and would this problem fall in the lap of the manufacturer or the user?
The way I've always understood it is if something is damaged due to the users negligence it is not the manufacturers responsibility. Not replacing the fan would fall into basically the same category as frying the board due to static electricity. Even if the person is not savy it is their responsibility to have the computer cleaned periodically. It is just regular computer maintenance.

Ultimately I think that a failed chipset fan within warranty is absolutely the responsibility of the manufacturer to handle...
I disagree.

If they questioned this I would ask them if they'd send me a new motherboard when this one smokes from running without a fan....and leave it at that.
I agree with you. Furthermore if I had a customer such as yourself that did not make demands outside of what is required by my store. I would probably just give you the fan and battery as good customer service; even though I am not required to.

vortix

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I would give you the battery is a consumable. But a fan should be covered under warranty if it fails. A fan has a mean time to failure rating...this rating should definitely be longer than 5 months. It sounds like you are condoning the use of substandard parts and then dumping the problem in the consumer's lap. In fact, you sound exactly like many companies I have dealt with...but only dealt with once.

I also own the P5N32 SLI deluxe board. After the issues I have seen with this pile of substandard electronics and the obvious lack of engineering expertise put into it, I will never purchase another ASUS board.

AntiChrysler, after working many years of customer service and retail, I have to say that your idea of customer service is skewed and wrong. Your entire outlook seems steeped in arrogance and biased against the "ignorant" public. If I had someone tell me what you just told these two, I would never buy from them again either.

The man deserves to have his fan AND battery replaced if ASUS wants a repeat customer.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Even a battery should be covered under warranty on a motherboard as there is a reasonable expectation that a lithium battery should last for years in a board, provided it was new and fresh when it was put into the board. This is especially true during the first year after purchase. What would you expect if you bought a new car and the battery only lasted 7-8 months? I'd be throwing a fit if someone, the dealer or battery manufacturer, didn't replace it under warranty. I'm really weary of the Asus fans in these forums as they seem to believe no one else can make a good board, all of Asus' boards are great, they only use the best of parts, and their customer service is great. After years of messing around with Asus boards, we stopped selling them except for special requests. No one appears to have been harmed by this, nor has our business suffered. Truthfully, we have had better reliability and service from Gigabyte and Foxconn. I agree with you vortix.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've never had an asus fan fail, I've had a bunch of batteries in biostars fail though, a bad batch I suppose, it was like 7 of them in a month.

I used to use gigabyte but started seeing a bunch of returns, I also used to use abit, and saw the same thing. Always sold more asus than those and other special builds combined. So it's just luck of the draw I guess. I've had great boards of all brands, except foxconn (4 bad within a month, only 4 I ever used), and I've had bad boards from all brands, just fewer asus then all the others.

Asus will cover both of these issues, you'll have to RMA the board though, it's the only way for them to verify the claim. What if you smoke and never dust, your fan will fail in a very short period, they won't replace that, nobody would, it's a failure to maintain a proper operating environment; abuse. How do they know that isn't you? They need to see the board. Simple business practices. Keep the Liars and cheats at bay.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I would give you the battery is a consumable. But a fan should be covered under warranty if it fails. A fan has a mean time to failure rating...this rating should definitely be longer than 5 months. It sounds like you are condoning the use of substandard parts and then dumping the problem in the consumer's lap. In fact, you sound exactly like many companies I have dealt with...but only dealt with once.
The problem is people that abuse the system. Just like Michaelahess said. Keep the cheaters and liars at bay. As to your comment about Asus using substandard parts I've never had an issue with them. I've built 50 or 60 systems outside of the store for friends and family members and haven't had a problem. Also, you may not know this but HP/Compaq uses Asus boards in many of their systems. Of the computers we sell at work HP/Compaqs have the lowest returns.

I also own the P5N32 SLI deluxe board. After the issues I have seen with this pile of substandard electronics and the obvious lack of engineering expertise put into it, I will never purchase another ASUS board.
You really have no proof of this. You probably just got one dud. Every company has them. Just because you got one dud doesn't mean all of their boards are bad. You are just talking out of your ass.

AntiChrysler, after working many years of customer service and retail, I have to say that your idea of customer service is skewed and wrong. Your entire outlook seems steeped in arrogance and biased against the "ignorant" public. If I had someone tell me what you just told these two, I would never buy from them again either.
My idea of customer service isn't skewed. Batteries and fans are consumables. Yeah depending on their attitude I might have replaced it just to be a nice guy. But that is my perrogative and not something that should be expected.

The man deserves to have his fan AND battery replaced if ASUS wants a repeat customer.
I agree. The blatent lies warrant some sort of compensation.

halcyon

Splendid

This is subjective.

Here's my opinion:

Amen.

Amen.

In all fairness, if you don't ever think your chipset fan should die consider a premium model mobo that comes with a heat-pipe for this very reason. It's reasonably well known that these chipset fans are cheap sleeve-bearing models that don't have a high life-expectancy. One can only surmise that the manufacturers know the customer is going to have to replace this consumable.

I know it can be frustrating, but just get a mobo that doesn't have a chipset fan (there's plenty out there and they're not all by Asus) and put it in a reasonably well-ventilated case you and you'll have one less concern.

I've had several Asus boards and consider the A8N-SLi Premium I have in my jukebox to be one of the best boards I've worked with, right out of the box, and I'm not that bright...go figure.

unstable

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that items such as batteries and fans are consumable. The big question is at what point in time does the responsibility shift from the manufacturer or reseller to the end-user?

If you purchased a brand-new motherboard and the battery and fans did not work...is it your responsibility to replace them? What if they lasted a week and then failed? A month? Where do you draw that line?

To some of us, it's more than the cost of these items. A $3 battery and a $10 fan isn't a big investment. As I stated before, I would have probably replaced the items myself and been done with it. But to others it's a question of getting what you pay for.

I don't fault this guy for complaining about this...sure it is kind of petty when you get down to it...but he feels strongly about it.

The unfortunate thing about this is that regardless of which manufacturer you go with, I doubt that you'll receive much better service. Generally when you have a problem with components in your system, you have to RMA said item. I've waited over a month to get some faulty RAM back from Corsair. To send a board in for a crapped-out fan and battery just seems pointless...you'd pay just as much in shipping charges, not to mention you'd be without a system for an extended period of time.

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that items such as batteries and fans are consumable. The big question is at what point in time does the responsibility shift from the manufacturer or reseller to the end-user?
The responsibility shifts from manufacturer to the reseller/end user when the hardware is out of hte 30 day DOA period.

If you purchased a brand-new motherboard and the battery and fans did not work...is it your responsibility to replace them? What if they lasted a week and then failed? A month? Where do you draw that line?
The 30 day DOA period. All the DOA period guarantees is that if there is ANY workmanship problems they will be covered in the first 30 days.

To some of us, it's more than the cost of these items. A $3 battery and a $10 fan isn't a big investment. As I stated before, I would have probably replaced the items myself and been done with it. But to others it's a question of getting what you pay for.
I agree. But getting what you pay for is a subjective term. Yes, I agree I would be unhappy with my battery and fan dying so soon. But that is a risk I take as a consumer when I purchase a product that uses consumable parts.

I don't fault this guy for complaining about this...sure it is kind of petty when you get down to it...but he feels strongly about it.
I agree.

The unfortunate thing about this is that regardless of which manufacturer you go with, I doubt that you'll receive much better service. Generally when you have a problem with components in your system, you have to RMA said item. I've waited over a month to get some faulty RAM back from Corsair. To send a board in for a crapped-out fan and battery just seems pointless...you'd pay just as much in shipping charges, not to mention you'd be without a system for an extended period of time.
Exactly. I feel that issues such as this are at the DISCRESSION of the reseller. The reseller isn't obligated to fix these problems. But they might just to be nice or in the name of customer service.