Sign in with
Your question

Urgent question on Refresh rate!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2006 11:26:13 AM

“The higher the refresh rate the better as it is less harmful to ur eyes.” Ok. An average LCD with an average Graphic card will usually be set at 85Hz or so.

However some can be adjusted all the way up to 120Hz. May I ask, are there any single harmful effect of setting the refresh rate that high? Is there even ONE disadvantage of setting the refresh rate to 120Hz?

new qn: Is tearing bad for ur eyesight? Should i enable vsync?
June 17, 2006 12:20:11 PM

Quote:
thats referring to CRT's. lCD's don't have a refresh rate and are flicker free. they have individual pixel response times. lcds have minimal if any eye strain.

so there's no harm setting it at 120Hz? I saw an article saying that if the frame rate is higher than the refresh rate tearing will occur. or is it the other way round.
June 17, 2006 12:42:10 PM

eh... i'm pretty sure there's refresh rate for LCDs too.
Related resources
June 17, 2006 1:03:49 PM

LCDs have a fixed refresh rate, so, phisically, the refresh rate can't be set (as far as I know).
Enabling V-Sync will drop your FPS drastically, even when it's set beyond 60 Hz. I have my CRT set in 72 Hz and the V-Sync kills like 30% of my FPS.
Who gives a $hit about tearing? I want to play my games fluidly! 8)

I know people that can't stand tearing. They just hate it. Fine. But if you want a fluid game experience, forget about tearing, don't think about it, and don't enable v-sync! :wink:
June 17, 2006 1:11:37 PM

I've had 2 LCD's, one with the 15pin D-Sub connection.
The other with both D-Sub & DVI.
The DVI is fixed at 60Hz.
The D-Sub has 60~75Hz.

Both LCD's when using the D-Sub look better at 75Hz.
But the DVI looks far better anyway.
June 17, 2006 3:20:12 PM

ok so ALL LCDs have a fixed Refresh rate. When i'm selecting a new high-end LCD i should look for one with a high Refresh rate of @ least 85Hz.

and another important qn, Is tearing bad for ur eyesight?
June 17, 2006 3:26:15 PM

Most LCD's I have seen only have a 60MHz or 75MHz refresh rate...
I run mine at 60MHz... it is a Dell 2405FPW at 1920x1200 dpi
June 17, 2006 3:28:30 PM

Tearing would only cause some irritation on your eyes, like when they're tired. What really damages them is the radiation the CRT had a couple years ago.
With the new regulations the CRTs have become a lot better, and that malicious radiation is gone (or almost gone). Anyway, the point is, tearing itself doesn't damage your eyes, is just "annoying" in some way.
June 17, 2006 3:38:36 PM

Quote:
Most LCD's I have seen only have a 60MHz or 75MHz refresh rate...
I run mine at 60MHz
... it is a Dell 2405FPW at 1920x1200 dpi

WOW! 8O
Your Dell LCD has a 60000Hz "refresh rate"???
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

And I thought that refresh rate was measured in Hz! :wink:
How fool!

:lol:  :lol: 
June 17, 2006 3:41:17 PM

Hz is correct... I had not finished my first cup of java... :roll:
June 17, 2006 3:44:14 PM

Typo or not, it was fun to read! :lol: 

Once I read in a magazine an advertising about a new PC, a few years ago. They were selling a 900 MHz Celeron, but, there was the biggest typo I've ever seen in my life.... "Brand New 900 GHz Celeron!!"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 17, 2006 3:55:46 PM

so the ideal gaming LCD is one with a respones time of 4ms or less and a fixed 75Hz refresh rate.

AND, if tearing doesn't affect me, i should disable vsync because it does not harm my eyes & if i enabled it, i will waste precious fps. yes?

tell me i'm right this time! *prays*

c'mon quote this & tell me i'm right! lol
June 17, 2006 4:04:56 PM

Quote:
so the ideal gaming LCD is one with a respones time of 4ms or less and a fixed 75Hz refresh rate.

AND, if tearing doesn't affect me, i should disable vsync because it does not harm my eyes & if i enabled it, i will waste precious fps. yes?

A primo 19inch LCD with 60 refresh rate aint bad , but i would aim for one with 4ms or less

i got mine yesterday, i cryed when i turned it on :wink:
June 17, 2006 4:18:52 PM

Quote:

Well, hmmm, yes, yes, anddd, yes! :D 
Hope this finally disolves all your doubts! 8)
June 17, 2006 4:24:29 PM

Leave it like that. If he can't understand it, well, just leave it like that.
It won't harm him. It isn't such a big deal.
June 17, 2006 5:42:22 PM

Quote:

First, get off the caffine, or whatever else is raising your blood pressure.

Second, most people can't tell the visual difference at refresh rates higher then 60hz. A few can, but they are very few. A fast response rate is good, and 4ms is very good in my opinion.

Third, disable the vsync, you don't need it. It may have helped in older monitors, but usually doesn't now.

Forth, don't worry so much about your eyesight in this case. Feel assured that there are lots of government people who are doing that for you, and they set rules that the monitor makers must follow.

Last, take a deep breath and calm down. There are a lot of other things to worry about.
June 17, 2006 5:54:25 PM

Most can not tell the difference in refresh rates of CRT's above 70Hz... 60 and 65 and even 70Hz can and do cause eye strain...
Prefered refresh rates for CRT's is 80Hz and above... imo
June 17, 2006 7:27:13 PM

I run my 21" crt at 90, anything less and I can see flicker, my 17"s and 19"s run at 85. Fast eyes, I'm unlucky enough to have it, which makes me a great test tool for LCD's, 60Hz, that's it! Some LCD's actually won't display if refresh is set higher. They don't have a refresh rate, they just don't.

Refresh rate is simply the number of times the screen is "redrawn" electron guns on a crt go down the screen at that frequency. An lcd pixel is lit by electrical current constantly hitting the appropriate grid location:

|
O************--

So the bars are the electricl current entering the matrix, and the O is the lit pixel. Since it is continuously lit it CAN'T flicker.

Vsync is very important to me, I can see tearing very easily and it aggrevates the heck out of me. I have no probs running any game maxed out with vsync on.

Next person that says lcd's work better at 75Hz should go jump off a cliff.
June 17, 2006 7:28:18 PM

LCD Panels have 60 Hz Standard, and can be adjusted to 75 Hz. If you can tell the difference then your eye sight must be 15/15 eye vision. If that the case check your eye doctor right away.

Best vision would is 20/20 the higher the number the closer you'll need eyeglasses with magnification. I have 15/20 what that’s tell is that on CRT I have to adjust the refresh rate to 100 to 120 just so that I won't see the flicker on the screen that most people don't see.

On LCD 60 Hz is just fine. For Gaming you need lower response time 4ms is actually 8ms. 4ms on and 4ms off that’s how most manufacturer provide their spec. the 75 Hz is to adjust you video card and you LCD so they can synchronize together.

A true 4ms 20 inches LCD would be price at around 2500 to 3000 US Dollars.

If you still worry about refresh rate consult your eye doctor and an electronics technician and ask for further explanation.

Hope That'll answer your question since all these guys/gals here tells you already.
June 17, 2006 7:40:43 PM

I was thinking on the subject of a LCD, not a CRT. My eye doctor had told me about the 60hz, so I based my comments on her explanation. My present LCD won't do anything other than 60hz, so I don't have much choice.

Admittedly, eyes that are sensitive can be a problem, which is one good reason to take some time looking at a screen at a store and finding out if it causes eyestrain, headache, etc.
June 17, 2006 7:45:33 PM

Sooner or later it will sink in, I hope :roll:
June 18, 2006 5:49:05 AM

Quote:
what is this guys problem. why is he fixated with a refresh rate that doesn't exist. i have given up replying directly to him as he does not listen.

well, according to everyone else, refresh rate exist on LCDs but it is fixed. I got that since post #9.
June 18, 2006 12:24:24 PM

U said refresh rate that doesn't exist on LCDs. huh? look at post no.7:
Quote:
LCDs have a fixed refresh rate, so, phisically, the refresh rate can't be set (as far as I know).

... dun u get it? Even if i dun get it it's not my fault. Becuz everyone here is saying something different! Read all the previous posts please.

Some say LCDs have Refresh Rate. Some say they don't.
Some say Refresh Rate on LCDs are fixed. Some say it can be changed from 60Hz to 75Hz.

So, am i to listen to u strangestranger? Or someone else. The point is u seemed very pissed at me for not understanding what u're trying to say. but it's not my freakin' fault... i'm bloody confuse now.. because everyone is something different. arghz.
June 18, 2006 1:57:35 PM

I think the man has a valid point, in that no one is really explaining why LCD's even have a refresh rate value if it doesn't matter.

Penquin1, that link Strangestranger may clear it up for you, but the bottom line is that the refresh rate setting is there for LCD's as a left over from crt days, essentially, but for all intents and purposes can be ignored when talking about LCD's.
June 18, 2006 6:49:07 PM

Exactly, the video card still needs to output it's data, that's reliant on the refresh rate, it sends the vga single at that frequency. The LCD ADC then takes that singnal and displays the appropriate pixels, the only time the pixels "refresh" is when they change; they are persistant. Where as the crt changes them constantly even though they are the same; they are fluid.

When you use a full DVI path there is no refresh rate, the video card still does it's own conversions but the output is only changed when the pixels change.

If I'm off on any of this please correct me, but this is how I've leared it all works. And it makes sense.
June 18, 2006 10:11:17 PM

I'm not too well educated when it comes to LCD technology myself, so I can't school you. :wink:

If the card is displaying information at some refresh rate on the vga connector, then one could assume it will still effect the actual fps regardless of response time of the monitor. I think there's a lot more to it than just 'ignoring' refresh rate for LCD's as it could be more complicated than that. Or, as you say, just use the DVI and forget about it. :p 
!