Skype VOIP methods

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you had more comments to add to the
following eg how to implement/design a similar network; where more
details are to be found on this subject etc.
I presume by their method, that several users become hosts, serving
client machines with IP address information etc (or not?)

The key paragraph:
Decentralized P2P networks have several advantages over traditional
client-server networks. These networks scale indefinitely without
increasing search time and without the need for costly centralized
resources. They utilize the processing and networking power of the
end-users machines since these resources always grow in direct
proportion to the network itself. Each new node added to the network
adds potential processing power and bandwidth to the network. Thus, by
decentralizing resources, second generation (2G) P2P networks have been
able to virtually eliminate costs associated with a large centralized
infrastructure.
ENDS

Skype url:
http://www.skype.com/products/explained.html

zebedee

Good luck using P2P in enterprises where they specifcally ban p2p
communication. Also, Skype hasn't got any major suppliers behind it for
offering true standalone IP phones. Sure they have USB devices, but who
wants to only make and receive calls when your PC is on?

"Alistair George" <noname@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi all. I was wondering if any of you had more comments to add to the
> following eg how to implement/design a similar network; where more
> details are to be found on this subject etc.
> I presume by their method, that several users become hosts, serving
> client machines with IP address information etc (or not?)
>
> The key paragraph:
> Decentralized P2P networks have several advantages over traditional
> client-server networks. These networks scale indefinitely without
> increasing search time and without the need for costly centralized
> resources. They utilize the processing and networking power of the
> end-users machines since these resources always grow in direct
> proportion to the network itself. Each new node added to the network
> adds potential processing power and bandwidth to the network. Thus, by
> decentralizing resources, second generation (2G) P2P networks have been
> able to virtually eliminate costs associated with a large centralized
> infrastructure.
> ENDS
>
> Skype url:
> http://www.skype.com/products/explained.html