Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Creating a new partition... or something

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 5:18:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Is there an easy way to take a small chunck of my harddrive and make it come
up as if it were a mini hard drive of its own? I don't want to do anything
too complicated or end up formatting anything.

More about : creating partition

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 5:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes but if you don't want to start from scratch you will need third party
partitioning software to do this. Partition Magic is one such tool as is
BootIt NG. While Partition Magic is easier to use BootIt NG is less
expensive and, in my opinion, is much more stable and reliable. Do a search
on google for partitioning software.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Greg P" <gNOSPAMpaciga@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o bWNI8roEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Is there an easy way to take a small chunck of my harddrive and make it
> come up as if it were a mini hard drive of its own? I don't want to do
> anything too complicated or end up formatting anything.
>
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 5:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You need to buy Partition Magic and read the instructions.
You can download a non-functional trial [at least you could
in the past] that would allow you to see the steps required
but wouldn't actually work until you paid them.
It is probably least expensive to find it on sale, perhaps
with a rebate.

Download Partition Magic 8.0 Free Trial - The only real
harddisk ... Partition Magic 8.0, ... Download Partition
Magic 8.0 If you developed this product, click here to
download your SoftPedia Pick Award ...
www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.shtml - 65k -
Sep 23, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages


Download Partition Magic 8.0 Free Trial - Partition Magic
allows ... Download Partition Magic 8.0 for free - Partition
Magic allows you to create, resize and m. ... Partition
Magic 8.0. Partition Magic 8.0 ...
www.soft32.com/download_151.html - 44k - Sep 24,
2004 - Cached - Similar pages


These are from Google

"Greg P" <gNOSPAMpaciga@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o bWNI8roEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Is there an easy way to take a small chunck of my
harddrive and make it come
| up as if it were a mini hard drive of its own? I don't
want to do anything
| too complicated or end up formatting anything.
|
|
Related resources
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:32:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Yes but if you don't want to start from scratch you will need third party
> partitioning software to do this. Partition Magic is one such tool as is
> BootIt NG. While Partition Magic is easier to use BootIt NG is less
> expensive and, in my opinion, is much more stable and reliable. Do a search
> on google for partitioning software.
>
Harry, I've found Partition Magic 8 very efficient and easy
to use, after having bought BootitNG and found that it tended
to take over the boot-up of my computer in ways I didn't
like. Price of both I felt was reasonable. PM now, however,
comes under the almost-impossible-to-live-with Symantec
support.
William B. Lurie
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 12:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:uFIAGsuoEHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>> Yes but if you don't want to start from scratch you will need third party
>> partitioning software to do this. Partition Magic is one such tool as is
>> BootIt NG. While Partition Magic is easier to use BootIt NG is less
>> expensive and, in my opinion, is much more stable and reliable. Do a
>> search on google for partitioning software.
>>
> Harry, I've found Partition Magic 8 very efficient and easy
> to use, after having bought BootitNG and found that it tended
> to take over the boot-up of my computer in ways I didn't
> like. Price of both I felt was reasonable. PM now, however,
> comes under the almost-impossible-to-live-with Symantec
> support.
> William B. Lurie

William I agree with you about the ease of use for PM but I've had my share
of grief with it. I've used PM from version 3 right on through to version 8.
In each version I found that the merge option was not reliable at all. In my
opinion version 4 was the best though. As for BootIt NG it is initially a
bit more difficult but the main trick to using it as a repartitioning tool
is to cancel the install and run it off the floppy. BootIt NG has excellent
support too.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
!