Sign in with
Your question

Does The Thermal Paste As A Big Effect?!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 17, 2006 1:40:05 PM

Hi,

After reading the "A 4.1 Ghz dual Core At 130$" review, I bought myself a Zalman 9500 (I already had a Pentium D 805) After installing it with the thermal paste that came with it, I started to overclock my PC. When I arrived at 3.00Ghz, the TM1 already started to throttle back due to high temperature ~65 degrees on full load. There's a problem somewhere because in the review, they say you can easily go up to 3.8ghz safely with the Zalman... Could it just be because I didn't apply correctly my thermal paste (it was my first time) or is it because I don't use the right paste? Maybe I need arctic silver 5 or something like that.

EDIT
**** Does a little thing like that can really affect
the cooling performance? ****

Thanks
June 17, 2006 1:50:15 PM

Did you put on a nice thin layer of thermal paste? Too much paste is just as bad as not enough. I've always used a piece of card or a blade if I had one to hand to spread the paste into a thin even layer. the other possibility is that you have a hot running CPU, they won't all overclock by the same amount, it's possible you've just got one of the hotter CPU's.
June 17, 2006 1:54:50 PM

Ok well maybe I was generous on the thermal paste but let me open my pc case and I'll start back again ;) ...
Related resources
June 17, 2006 2:49:39 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!... My CPU is currently at 100% full load overclocked at 3.00ghz and the temp is just 46!!!!

Thanks alot dude!
June 17, 2006 3:00:10 PM

Take Home Message: Yes, thermal paste makes a huge difference! :D 
June 17, 2006 7:07:20 PM

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Oooooooooooops.... I was checking the temperatures in Speedfan when overclocking it at 3.40ghz... it was at ~51 - 52 degrees on full load and suddenly POWWWWWWW big sparks and the case nearly cought fire 8o!... I think my pc is a wreck.... What could have caused that??!! the temperatures was only at 52!!.... and TM1 was not even throtling back so it can't be the temperature...
June 17, 2006 7:22:21 PM

power supply short

-or user error

:/ 
June 17, 2006 7:29:21 PM

Big badaboom? 8O Sounds like your psu just od'ed on itself. And not to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but chances are really good that you just fried it all. Hope and pray, dude.
June 17, 2006 7:49:20 PM

Could be somthing died on the mobo or a power supply short =]
June 17, 2006 8:41:40 PM

Ohhh boyyy... I think i'm in trouble :S.... I think it's the power supply because I have a fan on my case and it did some sparks too... sooo is there big chances ALL is fried? what does habitually fry? Just the mobo and processor or the dvd drive, hard drive, RAM & all????
June 17, 2006 8:47:29 PM

You gonna have to check how extensive the damage actually is. Take out the parts and try them in a second computer.
June 17, 2006 8:50:13 PM

I invite you to my funeral... when my wife's gonna know that she's gonna take my moose haunting gun and POW i'm dead guys :S!!! see ya up there... haha
June 17, 2006 8:56:26 PM

That is why you dont skimp out on your power supply. If your going to do hevey OCing then you need a power supply that can handle it. But if you lucky expensive stuff might still be ok chances sre the mobo is shot, but you got to try each part in a warking computer to find out and hope for the best man.
June 17, 2006 8:59:55 PM

I was a little angry at myself ordering a 550W antec for 90 dollars but now i feel really good about it =]
June 17, 2006 9:45:14 PM

Yep, don't get cheap when it comes to the power supply.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2006 9:54:54 PM

Quote:
I invite you to my funeral... when my wife's gonna know that she's gonna take my moose haunting gun and POW i'm dead guys :S!!! see ya up there... haha

8o!.....Hahahaha! Women?
June 17, 2006 9:57:13 PM

Thermal Paste can be quite expensive and you only need a drop the size of a BB. I think I might start "NetFlixin" my Artic Silver tube on Ebay.
June 17, 2006 10:31:34 PM

If you decide to remount your heatsink, notice if it has any burn scars
indicating a place where it didn't see the paste. If it does, you need to
burnish the heatsink face until there are no visible marks. I use 2000
grit wet and dry sandpaper(from a car parts store). If the surface looks
perfect, prob your heat problem lies elsewhere.
Just before you apply the paste, wipe surfaces with alcohol, I use the
90% variety from Walmart, the 70% has a little oil in it.
The Arctic 5 works great, but if you read their website literature they
only claim 1-2 degrees, and that only after 100 hours of running,
supposedly it is mostly pure silver that is left at that point, making
the best contact.
I'm ashamed to say I'm a fanboy for Antec :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2006 10:48:33 PM

Oh, these guys, heh. You can't "just overclock" Pentium D's like that for a couple reasons: First, it's pretty easy to overload a power supply, and cheaper ones without proper protection will go up in sparks. Second, and this one people won't tell you: Motherboards do the same thing when their voltage regulators get overloaded.

I keep telling people to just stick with taking a Pentium D 920 to 1066 bus and pretending it's a 965...more performance and less likelyhood of problems, but this article on the 805 has people in an uproar.
June 17, 2006 11:27:16 PM

/hangs head in moment of silence for computer
Have you opened it up yet to see what happened? Will it boot with another psu? Does the mobo have any visible damage to it?
Good luck and I hope you know how to dodge that buckshot your woman will be firing at you. Go Neo!
June 17, 2006 11:52:57 PM

Quote:
I keep telling people to just stick with taking a Pentium D 920 to 1066 bus and pretending it's a 965...more performance and less likelyhood of problems, but this article on the 805 has people in an uproar.

It's like money for nuthin' and chicks fer free - sounds too good to be true, and it is.
June 18, 2006 7:56:24 AM

Sorry to hear it all went bang, as others have said it sounds like your PSU, as you overclock the CPU pulls more and more power from the PSU as will the RAM. It sounds as if the PSU has gone for sure. You should also check the voltage regulators and the little toroidal coils on the motherboard for signs of scorching before you connect another PSU. If there is a short on the board due to damage and you connect a new PSU it will just try to push full current through the board and you'll probably blow up another PSU. Good luck with the missus, hopefully she won't murder you, just maim you in some way!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2006 9:52:39 AM

I can think of a few body part pairs you only need one of to "function normally".
June 18, 2006 12:16:10 PM

You only need to apply paste the size of a grain of rice... the contact pressure will distribute this along the die.

And yes, Arctic Silver 5 FTW. Give it time to bed in (say a few days of use).

...and you'd better hope that one of the fast blow fuses inside your PSU saved your kit...

Also, don't just look at the PSU wattage. Cheaper PSU's can fall short on some of the rails or (just as bad) have a low efficiency which means they actually fall far short of their stated wattage.

Some PSU's can be as low as 50 percent... which means if you buy a no-name 500 watt PSU then you will only be hitting 250 watts = nuked.

An average overclocked system using that CPU at 3.8ghz with just 1 GFX card, s/card, 2x1GB, fast vid card, 1 CD drive, 1HDD, 2 case fans and the odd expansion card etc... would draw at max load about 350-375 watts. This means that at 65-70% efficiency you should be looking at a GOOD 5-550w PSU as a minimum. Personally if I was going to skimp money on a CPU to get killer performance I'd put some of the money into watercooling, a good m/b, and a high quality PSU. For instance:

550w Antec
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID...

680w Thermaltake
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID...

If you want good price / performance / reliability / volume ratio - buy something decent from Antec. I've always been happy with Thermaltake PSU's but one just blew on me so...

Even better, if you're just going for the conservative overclock with air cooling go for something like the P150 case next time which includes a midrange 480w Antec PSU in the price and will do fine for a non-SLI system, even overclocked. However, if you want to go for the toms max overclock with a meaty graphics card you would need a better PSU than this.
June 18, 2006 3:03:54 PM

Hey thank you very much guys for you help and advice! ;) ... I hope that the fast fuses on my psu blowed first.... And no, i'm not dead.... but in the hospital though... been shot in my family jewels :? .... Haha.... nooo just kidding... I'm ok :) .... anyway... yesterday I checked my motherboard and cpu quickly and they seem to be ok.... I hope that it's just the psu.... It is a 450w but i've checked with the manufacturer and it only sells for ~20$!!! 8O 8O .... reeeeeaaalllly cheap.... now I know the cause of my blow-up.... The sparks were coming from the back of my psu when it blew up so maybe it's juste the psu.. I'll bring it to te technician and i'll give ya some news!! thanks again
June 18, 2006 8:19:55 PM

Something like that happend to me about 3 months ago
It was only the PSU that died, everything elss was working fine.
And what the hell were you thinking OC'ing with a $20 PSU??????? 8O
June 18, 2006 8:25:11 PM

DaveUK, your off a little bit on how PS are rated. If the MFG rates the PS for 500 watts, then 500 is the maximum you can pull from it. The efficiency determines how much power you pull from the wall.

500 watts / 70% efficency = 714 watts at the wall.

The reality is that most power supplies will not supply their rated capacity for all rails. They may only supply XX% on the 5V rail and XX% on the 12V rail, or XX% on the 3+5V rails.

With the growing power demands, you'd think that more engineering (by enthusists) to size for power demand. Instead, the market is driven to 1200 Watt PS instead of actually sizing. No need to enrole at MIT, Just compare what you need to what you get from the PS.
June 18, 2006 9:20:10 PM

the wattage on the ps isn't nearly as important as how many amps it gives to the 12 volt rail. i friend a ps with only 19 amps on 12 v , went out and paid a bit more for a supply with 32 amps on the 12v rail, no problems.
June 18, 2006 10:05:10 PM

In response to the orignal posts, too much paste will just squish out the sides and make a mess, but I seriously doubt it will cause any problems with heat build up, etc.
June 18, 2006 10:45:27 PM

Hey Everyone,

I've replaced my power supply and it is all working ;)  everything is working like new...!!!! thanks again everyone for the advices.... and thanks bunk_goat... i'll read it! ;) 
June 18, 2006 10:48:09 PM

Quote:
Something like that happend to me about 3 months ago
It was only the PSU that died, everything elss was working fine.
And what the hell were you thinking OC'ing with a $20 PSU??????? 8O

Hahaaaaaaa..... n00b error!!! lollll.... I learn from my errors...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2006 11:26:26 PM

I hate to ask, but what did you replace the power supply WITH?
June 18, 2006 11:28:43 PM

Good to hear that none of your main parts got fried. I will also guess that you are not going to die now? :) 
June 19, 2006 1:18:06 PM

Quote:
I hate to ask, but what did you replace the power supply WITH?

Presently, I'm temporarily with an old 400 watt gateway psu (my cpu is at stock speed).... And I've ordered a Ultra V-Series 500-Watt.

And no dwave I'm not going to die :)  :D  ....
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2006 2:12:47 PM

A 400W Gateway power supply is probably BETTER than an Ultra 500W.
June 19, 2006 2:45:34 PM

i also heard the ultra psu's were total crap, u shoulda listened to everyones suggestions and gone with antec or thermaltake :p ... my 400 watt thermaltake hasnt failed yet (cept when i undervolted my cpu like crazy) and its been going for over a year... with all the crap in my case, this psu also came with my 100 dollar thermaltake tsunami case, so there quality is outstanding considering i got it for free.
June 19, 2006 3:02:56 PM

I have a 430 watt Thermaltake power supply and it works great. Patrickcyr, I wouldn't skimp out on the power supply, you don't want a repeat to happen! Antec makes some good PSU's.
June 19, 2006 3:41:05 PM

I cancelled my order and I'll buy an antec...

What do you think about a :

ThermalTake / TR2 W0101RU / 550-Watt / ATX 2.0 / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA-Ready Power Supply
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2006 3:44:51 PM

What's with all this Thermaltake stuff? I've had Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Antec, and Fortron Source within the last 3 months. The Fortron Source was the best, followed by the Cooler Master, then the Antec, and then the Thermaltake.

I'd go CHEAP and get a $50 Fortron Source 450W before buying any of that other stuff.
June 19, 2006 4:38:22 PM

I try not to recommend stuff I haven’t used or known someone personally who has use something so this is the only good psu that I have used personally.

its an aspire atx12v 680 watt psu with an active pfc. I have one on my pc that is running an oced amd 3500+ newcastle core. I have tested the psu under full load of my pc during a prime 95 test and all the rails never varied by more than .01v on my multi-meter so I know its a rock solid psu. I have had it for several months now no problems at all.

couple of things you should know, its kind of expensive at 140 total with s&h, when I got mine they were only 120 total, it weighs 7lb so keep that in mind if you have a weak case. I got it and had to weigh it when I picked it up. One last thing the cables are long on this thing so make sure you got somewhere to stuff the extras. Check out the link below if you want to

Link
June 19, 2006 4:46:38 PM

I try not to recommend stuff I haven’t used or known someone personally who has use something so this is the only good psu that I have used personally.

its an aspire atx12v 680 watt psu with an active pfc. I have one on my pc that is running an oced amd 3500+ newcastle core. I have tested the psu under full load of my pc during a prime 95 test and all the rails never varied by more than .01v on my multi-meter so I know its a rock solid psu. I have had it for several months now no problems at all.

couple of things you should know, its kind of expensive at 140 total with s&h, when I got mine they were only 120 total, it weighs 7lb so keep that in mind if you have a weak case. I got it and had to weigh it when I picked it up. One last thing the cables are long on this thing so make sure you got somewhere to stuff the extras. Check out the link below if you want to

Link
!