my computer is not responding won't boot up

qbbing

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
hello people,
you were great!!!... winger and company....now i have an easier problem..i hope.....the computer powers up but my dvd rom and burner drive and harddrive light is blinking..... top then bottom...... then continue this loop ..never hearing my beep....to view thru the monitor.

AMD Athlon XP3100+ Motherboard
PC Chips M863G Socket A SiS 741GX DDR333
MEM 512MGEIL D400 GE1GB3200BDC
80 gb hd
toshiba dvd rom
liteon 52 cdrw

help again

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
This is what I do when my comp won't POST. Open up your computer, make sure you're grounded to the case, pull off your heatsink fan from your processor, take out your processor for 10 seconds, put it all back together, and you should be set. If it still won't boot up you have problems.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
This is what I do when my comp won't POST. Open up your computer, make sure you're grounded to the case, pull off your heatsink fan from your processor, take out your processor for 10 seconds, put it all back together, and you should be set. If it still won't boot up you have problems.
And what is this supposed to do?
This is completely useless; you'd also have to reapply thermal paste - do you?

Did you overclock recently or flash bios?
Your bios settings may be beyond your pc's capability, or the bios data corrupt.
If yes, then take out the battery for a minute or two. Without power to the cmos ram of the eeprom it will loose the bios settings and flashed bios and reload the old one that it came imprinted with.

one_winger

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Yep... do the same thing as last time-

Remove all the components, see if it boots.

If it does, plug stuff in one at a time. This time, it sounds like your computer is resetting due to a fault mid post. Sometimes, you'll hear a slight click during the reset from the motherboard speaker to confirm this.

This time, however, remove EVERYTHING (you can remove the CPU, as long as you have thermal paste; as far as it helping... meh...). RAM, data cables, etc..

Also, clearing your CMOS can help (previously mentioned). With the system off, and unplugged, pull the CMOS battery, and if your mobo has a jumper to clear the CMOS, do the thingie with the switching and the glaven.

Put it all back together, one component at a time, and attempt to power on in between (also previously mentioned).

Good luck.

Cheers,

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
It's called reseating components. qbbing, I'd recommend you do it with all of your components and try to POST each time.
I know what it is, and what it should do, but in most of the cases, it is not the cpu's pin's physical contact which is at fault. However, you might break pins off, not to mention that it's a lot of trouble to get it apart, then paste it and put it back together. In short, this is not a good method of fixing POST problems - to the contrary, this could cause more trouble without getting you closer to the solution.

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I know what it is, and what it should do, but in most of the cases, it is not the cpu's pin's physical contact which is at fault

Indeed it is not the pins of the cpu that are bad, it's the capacitors that hold the charge and are on the same circuit as the processor that hold false memory in some cases. Only noobs are worried about breaking their cpus. just hold on to the case w/ your other hand and take out the cpu w/ your other hand, give it a whirl, bet on yourself, but then again I don't know you and you might be a total dunce. The real task is taking off your heatsink/fan and not fucking your motherboard up w/ repeated stabs w/ a screwdriver.

P.S. I stabed my motherboard maybe 5 times and it still works, they're pretty durable, just not when it comes to shorting.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Only noobs are worried about breaking their cpus.
I've heard of pins breaking off - better be careful than sorry.
Clearing the bios by removing the battery or setting the jumper is easier, safer and has more chances of solving the problem.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I know what it is, and what it should do, but in most of the cases, it is not the cpu's pin's physical contact which is at fault

Indeed it is not the pins of the cpu that are bad, it's the capacitors that hold the charge and are on the same circuit as the processor that hold false memory in some cases. Only noobs are worried about breaking their cpus. just hold on to the case w/ your other hand and take out the cpu w/ your other hand, give it a whirl, bet on yourself, but then again I don't know you and you might be a total dunce. The real task is taking off your heatsink/fan and not ****** your motherboard up w/ repeated stabs w/ a screwdriver.

P.S. I stabed my motherboard maybe 5 times and it still works, they're pretty durable, just not when it comes to shorting.

Or actually getting the heatsink on in the first place...

qbbing

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
thanks for the help people.... i will try the battery first ..then try to reseat all on the conponents again ..the processor was sold with the mobo ..as a total package and the company put plastic glue to glue to heatsink to the cpu...( the joints only)...i will try it ...thanks again very very grateful