kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
This situation is getting out of hand. Over the past two years my server has used up four 60mm heat sink fans. And i'm not talking about just not working. I'm talking about the fan bearings completely wearing out. It doesn't seem to matter what fan make or type either.

This server is on 24/7/365 and I need recommendations for the heaviest duty, most reliable 60mm fan ever made.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
This situation is getting out of hand. Over the past two years my server has used up four 60mm heat sink fans. And i'm not talking about just not working. I'm talking about the fan bearings completely wearing out. It doesn't seem to matter what fan make or type either.

This server is on 24/7/365 and I need recommendations for the heaviest duty, most reliable 60mm fan ever made.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just a thought. If you could rig up an 80mm or larger fan, then it will probably last longer...due to lower RPMs. Maybe a duct mod, if you can't mount a bigger fan onto the heatsink. GL :)

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Expanding on what Tanker said, if you can't install a bigger fan, why not get two 60mm fans and put them in series and run them at a slower speed. I find two fans in series produces alot more sound but dramatically increases the air flow. Another advantage is you get the two fan redundancy where if one fails you got the other continuing to pull air.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Have you tried true dual ball bearing fans? They shouldn't wear out for many years at 24/7 opperation.
Shows how optimistic their MTBF #'s are, as most fans have an MTBF of 30,000 hours or more. That works out to almost 3 1/2 years@24/7. :?

lrai

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Clean the dust filters every 2 months or less. (do you use dust filters or is your server in a sealed data center)
Once a year ( preferably before the warm season arrives ) schedule a service. Use the down time to do your upgrade, clean all dust and REPLACE every fan. You will lose more $$$ if you have an un unexpected down time do to a dead fan and not to mention the loss of data.

Just replace them every year to be safe.

PS: About 7 years ago (before the hardware router was popular) I installed a basic router for small travel agency in their basement. It was a Compaq P1 with passive cooling + UPS. About 3 months ago I get a call on my mobile (I always put a sticker on the computer with contacts) and they tell me that they finally identified the faint but irritating alarm sound that annoyed them for more than a year. The router was fine but the UPS complained about battery needing replacing. Replaced the whole thing with a hardware router and a new UPS.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I'm thinking about them all.

I guess I do get what I pay for, perhaps I'll purchase a couple of the more expensive dual ball-bearing fans.

Yes, I'd like to replace my fans only once a year! >.<; LOL!

I guess I've just had a bad run of fans. Thanks again!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Use a high quality fan, clean it once or twice a year, and they will last YEARS! Unless it's really dirty where the system is, then clean every 6 months or more. Either way a good fan WILL last many years.