Problems Galore.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
So I've had my custom built system for about a year with just load upon loads of errors. Some days, like yesterday I can play battlefield 2 for hours on end, but before I even got to that point I got two blue screens. Here's the specs on the computer:

Asus P4P800-E
3.2 Ghz P4
1Gb Kingston Value Ram
Ati Radeon x800 Pro 256mb
C-media soundcard
Windows Xp2
WD 300gb HD
500W PSU

I replaced the HD, and the mobo already. I have no idea what is causing the problem. Now i'm getting soundcard errors so I'm thinking of taking that out and going back to onboard sound. But regardless, even before I put this soundcard in I was getting blue screens. The error I get is this one:

System has recovered from a serious error
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I ran memtest and it didn't find any errors. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to buy new ram if its something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So I've had my custom built system for about a year with just load upon loads of errors. Some days, like yesterday I can play battlefield 2 for hours on end, but before I even got to that point I got two blue screens. Here's the specs on the computer:

Asus P4P800-E
3.2 Ghz P4
1Gb Kingston Value Ram
C-media soundcard
Windows Xp2
WD 300gb HD
500W PSU

I replaced the HD, and the mobo already. I have no idea what is causing the problem. Now i'm getting soundcard errors so I'm thinking of taking that out and going back to onboard sound. But regardless, even before I put this soundcard in I was getting blue screens. The error I get is this one:

I ran memtest and it didn't find any errors. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to buy new ram if its something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I don't think RAM is the problem.Most likely the C-Media sound, as you've stated. Try going back to onboard sound, and see if that clears up the problem. GL :)

PS. Maybe an incompatability with SP2 and a driver....Make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers installed.Might be wise to check the ASUS site, and see if their are any outstanding BIOS issues, maybe a BIOS flash to a newer BIOS is in order.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

Asus P4P800-E
3.2 Ghz P4
1Gb Kingston Value Ram
C-media soundcard
Windows Xp2
WD 300gb HD
500W PSU

I don't think RAM is the problem.Most likely the C-Media sound, as you've stated. Try going back to onboard sound, and see if that clears up the problem. GL :)

PS. Maybe an incompatability with SP2 and a driver....Make sure you have the latest motherboard drivers installed.Might be wise to check the ASUS site, and see if their are any outstanding BIOS issues, maybe a BIOS flash to a newer BIOS is in order.

I'll give that a shot. The floppy drive I installed into the computer doesnt work for some reason, so I'll go buy a new one. I was looking through my system in control panel and was missing a RAID driver, so I installed that. But when the computer booted up it would say no drive attached to fast track bios is not installed or something. So I deactivated the fast track. I gotta find a way to flash the bios.

I took out the soundcard and haven't gotten any errors yet. I guess I'll have to wait for one to come around. I'll see how the bios stuff goes.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Asus EZ Flash

Yey me not knowing that. Ugh, now another problem has come up the bios is all messed up. "bad bio checksum" It reads the rom of my cd-rom drive then says:

start erasing
start programming

please turn off your system and power on again to get system back.

I reboot and nothing happens. Any ideas?

ummdav1d

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I was constantly getting that bsod message back in the day along with other various errors and hang ups. My main problem turned out to be the PSU. Now, of course 500 watts would be sufficient to power that system if it actually delivered the performance it was rated at, but if it is a bad psu that could be your problem.

Edit: Also, from what I heard back when I was having problems, that BSOD message can also indicate overheating, you could check into that, but it doesn't necessarily sound like it is that based on the rest of your story.

Edit2: In regard to your last post, reset the bios via the jumper on the motherboard.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I was constantly getting that bsod message back in the day along with other various errors and hang ups. My main problem turned out to be the PSU. Now, of course 500 watts would be sufficient to power that system if it actually delivered the performance it was rated at, but if it is a bad psu that could be your problem.

Edit: Also, from what I heard back when I was having problems, that BSOD message can also indicate overheating, you could check into that, but it doesn't necessarily sound like it is that based on the rest of your story.

Edit2: In regard to your last post, reset the bios via the jumper on the motherboard.

i tried reseting the bio via the jumper on the board according to asus directions as well as a buddy of mine's nothing seems to work to get it to right itself.

ummdav1d

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I think you can try removing the bios battery and then replacing it. If not, someone else will most likely correct me. I don't know if that will fix it though....

ummdav1d

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I think you can try removing the bios battery and then replacing it. If not, someone else will most likely correct me. I don't know if that will fix it though....

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

tried it. didnt work. anymore ideas?

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
if you have a friend with a similar set up ,systematically take everything out one ata time and swap with his ,when his comp gets the errors you found the problem.last resort when a comp is ill, is a bios flash,too many variables for such a sensitive operation,one bad spike is all it takes.

but what do i do when the bios flashes dont work. should i just rma the thing? anyone know the # for Asus?

RichPLS

Champion
Did you try removing the battery to reset BIOS? Then flashing again after verifying you have correct procedures and BIOS flash...
So far, after dozens performed, not one hitch...

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
clear cmos option listed in the mobo hand book.turn power off unplug after grounding yourself with the psu casing,(touching it),move cmos shunt to closed pos.usually pins 2&3.;plug in and turn on psu(not the whole pc),turn psu off ,un plug, reset shunt to pins 1&2 ,plug back in,turn on psu,attempt to boot.

I did this same problem. Here's what it says:

Radeon X800 Pro V0

Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
Checking for floppy...
Floppy found.
Reading file "P4P800-e.ROM". Completed.
Start Erasing...-
Start Programing...

Please turn off your system and power on again to get system back.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Did you try removing the battery to reset BIOS? Then flashing again after verifying you have correct procedures and BIOS flash...
So far, after dozens performed, not one hitch...

Doesn't work. I took the battery out for 10 mins not a damn thing happened. It won't default back. Perhaps the battery is dead?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
put the newest bios image on a cd, you have to rename it, can't remember what though, asus has instructions on their bios page, it will allow a complete reflash off cd. The original asus cd will work if you have that. If it still fails you definatly have a dead flash chip.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
put the newest bios image on a cd, you have to rename it, can't remember what though, asus has instructions on their bios page, it will allow a complete reflash off cd. The original asus cd will work if you have that. If it still fails you definatly have a dead flash chip.

Correction: I have a 450 psu. I sort of forgot til I stared into my case.

Update 1: I called asus, they think the bios chip has gone bad so I'm shipping it off to them.

Update 2: Because my psu is a chiefmax and I've read many-a-times how bad they are I am going to invest in a new psu / case. Any suggestions? I'd like a case that's fairly easy to navigate through but at the same time stays cool and quiet, the problem with my current case is well that it was cheap and also that it was extremely noisy.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

Correction: I have a 450 psu. I sort of forgot til I stared into my case.

Update 1: I called asus, they think the bios chip has gone bad so I'm shipping it off to them.

Update 2: Because my psu is a chiefmax and I've read many-a-times how bad they are I am going to invest in a new psu / case. Any suggestions? I'd like a case that's fairly easy to navigate through but at the same time stays cool and quiet, the problem with my current case is well that it was cheap and also that it was extremely noisy.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
yup..instant door stop..When disaster strikes

This is your board right p4p800-e
"CrashFree BIOS 2~
The AI-Series enhances system stability based on this pioneering technology. When BIOS corruption occurs, the CrashFree BIOS 2 feature reboots the computer and perform a recovery procedure by using the motherboard support CD when the original BIOS fails."AI bios?

I have seen posts that talk about force-flashing a corrupted bios. This is the risk we all take when we do a flash. RMA is certainly the most simple choice, but for the cost of shipping and waiting..maybe you're into trying to fix it yourself a little more

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
yup..instant door stop..When disaster strikes

This is your board right p4p800-e
"CrashFree BIOS 2~
The AI-Series enhances system stability based on this pioneering technology. When BIOS corruption occurs, the CrashFree BIOS 2 feature reboots the computer and perform a recovery procedure by using the motherboard support CD when the original BIOS fails."AI bios?

I have seen posts that talk about force-flashing a corrupted bios. This is the risk we all take when we do a flash. RMA is certainly the most simple choice, but for the cost of shipping and waiting..maybe you're into trying to fix it yourself a little more

yeah thats the mobo.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
In a previous entry you stated that Asus said that it was a bad bios, but your origional problem sounded like a sound board issue. If you get the same errors try not installing the sound card if it is a seperate card. If its on the mainboard try disableing it in the bios and uninstall it from device manager to see if the sound is actually the problem.

rebel411

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I'm looking at these two psu's I don't really know which one to get.

Antec TruePower 550W EPS12V Power Supply

or

Antec NeoPower 550w ATX 12v Power Supply

Can you guys tell me which one is better?

do they both have 20-pin connectors?