physics standard in dx10?

Does anyone know if microsoft has confirmed it will have a physics standard in dx10? I know that vista is going to have something called WDDM that will let applications better utilize the gpu but I'm not sure if this includes physics.
11 answers Last reply
More about physics standard dx10
  1. Last I heard, MS was working on a Physics API...
  2. With all the stuff happening in physics out there, it would make sense for Microsoft to come out with a standard API for it. Otherwise games developers would have to choose to support only one type of physics implementation (Ageia, Nvidia, or ATI) or program their game to recognize the type of cards you have and execute the code necessary for physics based on it. That would mean a heck of a lot of extra work for the games developers (or anyone else who wanted to use it). It would also severly hamper physics processing taking off like it should.

Would be far better if they can just call a single function in DX10 for a given action rather than have to perform tons of if statements.
  3. So Do you all recommend to hold off on buying a Physics card for now?
  4. I would wait, and am, till it is clear of gaming support and ultimate implementation, and clear enhancements thru independent benchmarks... now it is just too early to tell...
  5. I agree 100%; after seeing the PhysX failure, I've decided to hold off for a bit.
  6. yet it has enormous potential... just I will let others tap it... and then I will reap it! :wink:
  7. yea me to, I guess I'll wait till microsoft releases a standard whicoh I hope it will, physics in games is never going to take of unless microsoft releases a standard
  8. What i think would be a good idea for ATI/NVIDIA would be to enter into a partnership and create a universal physics PPU/Software hardware/program that is incorporated into both of their hardware's. This way they have a real chance of winning the war in this new Physics arena.

If the two largest GPU manufacturers of the world supported the same program, it would most definetly make most, if not all, game developers use their physics program instead of Ageia's PhysX.
  9. Quote:
    What i think would be a good idea for ATI/NVIDIA would be to enter into a partnership and create a universal physics PPU/Software hardware/program that is incorporated into both of their hardware's. This way they have a real chance of winning the war in this new Physics arena.

If the two largest GPU manufacturers of the world supported the same program, it would most definetly make most, if not all, game developers use their physics program instead of Ageia's PhysX.

somehow I think there's a law against that
  10. According to the July issue of Maximum PC (see page 10), Microsoft is working on an physics API (currently being refered to as DirectPhysics). :wink:
  11. well I don't care if it's microsoft or anybody else who does it, just as long as it gets done. But yea, it would be nice for somebody aside from microsoft to do the arm twisting
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows Vista Microsoft Graphics