IP4000 b&w printing problem - colour caste

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are coming
out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy (PP101)
come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W. I'm printing with
the defaults that are automatically selected when I pick these paper stocks.
This isn't come sneaky trick by Canon to encourage me to buy the more
expensive paper is it !?

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
> B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
coming
> out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
(PP101)
> come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.

This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up on
"Metamerism".

I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.

I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another one
might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
areas).

> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
>> B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
> coming
>> out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
> (PP101)
>> come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
>
> This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
> lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
> on
> "Metamerism".
>
> I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
> prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
> light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
>
> I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
> implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
> identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
> one
> might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
> different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
> areas).

Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?

Caitlin wrote:

>"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>

>>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
>>>B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
>>>

>>coming
>>

>>>out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
>>>

>>(PP101)
>>

>>>come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
>>>

>>This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
>>lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
>>on
>>"Metamerism".
>>
>>I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
>>prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
>>light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
>>
>>I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
>>implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
>>identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
>>one
>>might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
>>different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
>>areas).
>>

>Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
>the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
>noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
>this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
>the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?

The b/w print I made from a b/w negative using Canon Photo Paper Pro
with Canon OEM ink appeared fine.