IP4000 b&w printing problem - colour caste

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 3, 2005 5:24:36 AM

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are coming
out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy (PP101)
come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W. I'm printing with
the defaults that are automatically selected when I pick these paper stocks.
This isn't come sneaky trick by Canon to encourage me to buy the more
expensive paper is it !?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:28:49 PM

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
> B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
coming
> out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
(PP101)
> come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.

This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up on
"Metamerism".

I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.

I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another one
might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
areas).
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:52:08 AM

> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
>> B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
> coming
>> out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
> (PP101)
>> come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
>
> This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
> lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
> on
> "Metamerism".
>
> I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
> prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
> light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
>
> I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
> implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
> identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
> one
> might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
> different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
> areas).

Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:52:09 AM

Caitlin wrote:

>"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>

>>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
>>>B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
>>>

>>coming
>>

>>>out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
>>>

>>(PP101)
>>

>>>come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
>>>

>>This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
>>lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
>>on
>>"Metamerism".
>>
>>I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
>>prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
>>light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
>>
>>I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
>>implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
>>identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
>>one
>>might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
>>different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
>>areas).
>>

>Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
>the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
>noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
>this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
>the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?

The b/w print I made from a b/w negative using Canon Photo Paper Pro
with Canon OEM ink appeared fine.
!