IP4000 b&w printing problem - colour caste

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are coming
out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy (PP101)
come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W. I'm printing with
the defaults that are automatically selected when I pick these paper stocks.
This isn't come sneaky trick by Canon to encourage me to buy the more
expensive paper is it !?
3 answers Last reply
More about ip4000 printing problem colour caste

    "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste to
    > B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
    coming
    > out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
    (PP101)
    > come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.

    This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
    lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up on
    "Metamerism".

    I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
    prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
    light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.

    I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
    implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
    identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another one
    might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
    different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
    areas).

    > "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
    >> B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
    > coming
    >> out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
    > (PP101)
    >> come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
    >
    > This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
    > lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
    > on
    > "Metamerism".
    >
    > I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
    > prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
    > light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
    >
    > I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
    > implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
    > identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
    > one
    > might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
    > different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
    > areas).

    Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
    the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
    noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
    this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
    the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?

    Caitlin wrote:

    >"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Has anyone else experienced a problem with a slight colour (color)caste
    >>>B&W photos printed on Canon Glossy photo paper (GP401). My prints are
    >>>

    >>coming
    >>

    >>>out with a slight pink caste, yet prints on Photo paper Plus Glossy
    >>>

    >>(PP101)
    >>

    >>>come out without a colour caste - look like perfect B&W.
    >>>

    >>This is a big topic. Some papers respond very differently under different
    >>lighting conditions. Outdoors it might be the other way around. Read up
    >>on
    >>"Metamerism".
    >>
    >>I read recently that some professional photographers (eg that sell B&W
    >>prints) ask if the print will be displayed under man made or artificial
    >>light and adjust the colour balance accordingly.
    >>
    >>I'm learning fast about this. I never really appreciated what some of the
    >>implications of Metamerism were until recently - eg two prints can appear
    >>identical and perfectly neutral under one light source but under another
    >>one
    >>might have a colour cast but not the other, or they may be different. Even
    >>different parts of the same print can appear to change (eg white and grey
    >>areas).
    >>

    >Thanks for the reply C. I am familiar with the concept of metamerism - but
    >the b&w prints on Canon Glossy look pink in ANY light! Has anyone else
    >noticed this? I'd think it was poor calibration (not that I've really done
    >this - I've only got a 14" laptop screen at the moment), but then prints on
    >the Canon Plus Glossy should surely have the same problem?

    The b/w print I made from a b/w negative using Canon Photo Paper Pro
    with Canon OEM ink appeared fine.

Printers Photo Canon Peripherals