Opteron 265 + 275 on same mobo. Possible?

nikopol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Hi!

The other day a friend passed along two processors that were 'left-overs' at his company - one Opteron 265 and one Opteron 275.

Would be a terrible shame not to do something fun with these, wouldn't it?

Plus, it really is time for me to set up a new development server at home since the old one is getting old-ish.

So the last few days I've been scouring the net for info on whether it is possible to find a dual-CPU motherboard that supports running these two CPUs at the same time. So far, the only info I've come across is from resellers and manufacturers, and none of it is especially conclusive.

The answers I've got range from "No." to the somewhat more hopeful "Might be possible with some overclocking but it will in all probability be very unstable and we certainly will not condone/support/recommend etc such a setup", and so on.
You get the picture.

Does anyone have any experience with this. Any motherboard to recommend? Any pointers to where I could find som info/help?

Even a conclusive "No. Forget it. Money down the drain trying to do something like this." would be much appreciated, since I could then move on to trying something else (like two boxen - duh!)

Thanks!

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Yes it's possible it just needs to be same stepping i remember thg did an article about this a long time ago they put a 275 and a 248 on the same mobo it worked.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Yes it's possible it just needs to be same stepping i remember thg did an article about this a long time ago they put a 275 and a 248 on the same mobo it worked.
It did in fact "work", but the results were not quite good. However, those were a dc and a sc - these are two dc's, so it might work better.

IMO use just one of them. Since it would be a shame not to do anything with the other one, too, as you said, send it to me and I'll give it a good home free of charge
:lol:

nikopol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Thanks alot for your advice!

For better or for worse, I'll go for a dual-CPU setup and try to solve it by setting the stepping.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Sorry but you can't set the stepping! That is a function of the chip revision.

I would think you could 'underclock' the faster chip in a pinch. But I have no experience with this.

TRENDING THREADS