Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cost of new ink cart vs new printer...??

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:49:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It seems buying a new printer with included ink carts are cheaper than
just buying the ink carts separately. If everyone did that, printer
companies would start losing lots of money as their profits are on ink
carts only and selling printer cheaply, often below cost of
manufacture.

I already do this, on my 4th printer in 6 months. When the ink carts
run out I get a new one, list an used printer with empty carts on eBay
and get a fair amount of money, almost making the new printer free.

If only more people realized this and bought only the printer and not
the ink carts.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

More about : cost ink cart printer

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:11:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Not new news. Yes, you can now actually purchase a brand new, ink jet
printer for about the cost of replacing the cartridges by themselves. This
is based on the business model first tried by the Gillette company, which
marketed the first commercially viable safety razor and blades. You bought
the razor with a starter pack of blades for a couple of dollars. New packs
of blades then cost about the same as what you paid for the razor and blades
originally. Gotcha!

Trust me, if we all started buying new printers every couple of months, you
would see the retail price on printers skyrocket, and fast! This
price-fixing scam by the major printer manufacturers will continue until a
new technology is found that can replace liquid inks for consumer oriented
printing tasks.

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:1kmt419ku1ka80pk8b2ls3v6v6j7l232oa@4ax.com...
> It seems buying a new printer with included ink carts are cheaper than
> just buying the ink carts separately. If everyone did that, printer
> companies would start losing lots of money as their profits are on ink
> carts only and selling printer cheaply, often below cost of
> manufacture.
>
> I already do this, on my 4th printer in 6 months. When the ink carts
> run out I get a new one, list an used printer with empty carts on eBay
> and get a fair amount of money, almost making the new printer free.
>
> If only more people realized this and bought only the printer and not
> the ink carts.
> --
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:09:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Your thesis is not going to work. When you sell the printer with empty carts
the new owner goes out and buys 2 to 3 new carts. Now the printer company
has a new ink cart customer.

--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.
"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:1kmt419ku1ka80pk8b2ls3v6v6j7l232oa@4ax.com...
> It seems buying a new printer with included ink carts are cheaper than
> just buying the ink carts separately. If everyone did that, printer
> companies would start losing lots of money as their profits are on ink
> carts only and selling printer cheaply, often below cost of
> manufacture.
>
> I already do this, on my 4th printer in 6 months. When the ink carts
> run out I get a new one, list an used printer with empty carts on eBay
> and get a fair amount of money, almost making the new printer free.
>
> If only more people realized this and bought only the printer and not
> the ink carts.
> --
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Related resources
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:37:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Maybe you have discovered the Achilles heal of the computer printer
industry. ;-) The only problem is, if enough people began doing this,
the value for used printers without ink cartridges on ebay would
collapse, as who would buy all those printers, when they could do the
same thing you do? It's almost like a pyramid scheme, it works until
enough people figure it out and then it collapses under its own weight.

A better solution would be if the cost of continual inking systems,
became cheap enough so everyone who wished to could switch over to bulk
inking systems.

Art

Impmon wrote:

> It seems buying a new printer with included ink carts are cheaper than
> just buying the ink carts separately. If everyone did that, printer
> companies would start losing lots of money as their profits are on ink
> carts only and selling printer cheaply, often below cost of
> manufacture.
>
> I already do this, on my 4th printer in 6 months. When the ink carts
> run out I get a new one, list an used printer with empty carts on eBay
> and get a fair amount of money, almost making the new printer free.
>
> If only more people realized this and bought only the printer and not
> the ink carts.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:29:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Ron Stewart" <ron8074@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:zuG3e.8743$V62.301@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Your thesis is not going to work. When you sell the printer with empty
> carts the new owner goes out and buys 2 to 3 new carts. Now the printer
> company has a new ink cart customer.

Who says they would by OEM ink carts?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:11:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I agree. It seems highly plausible that the type of individual who buys
an empty printer on eBay that is used would be a prime candidate for 3rd
party ink, and usually the cheapest they could find.

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>"Ron Stewart" <ron8074@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>news:zuG3e.8743$V62.301@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>Your thesis is not going to work. When you sell the printer with empty
>>carts the new owner goes out and buys 2 to 3 new carts. Now the printer
>>company has a new ink cart customer.
>>
>>
>
>Who says they would by OEM ink carts?
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 11:06:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

quoting:
> Not new news. Yes, you can now actually purchase a brand new, ink
jet
> printer for about the cost of replacing the cartridges by themselves.
This
> is based on the business model first tried by the Gillette company,
which
> marketed the first commercially viable safety razor and blades. You
bought
> the razor with a starter pack of blades for a couple of dollars. New
packs
> of blades then cost about the same as what you paid for the razor and
blades
> originally. Gotcha!


Thank goodness for alternatives.

razors: better generics like "Personna".

inkjet: refill kits.

Yet millions of people fall for this scam every year.


> Trust me, if we all started buying new printers every couple of
months, you
> would see the retail price on printers skyrocket, and fast! This
> price-fixing scam by the major printer manufacturers will continue
until a
> new technology is found that can replace liquid inks for consumer
oriented
> printing tasks.


It will probably be color laser. They will be getting smaller,
quieter, cheaper. Though I'm sure they'll do they're best to raise the
cost on toner. Then there are generics and refill kits for those with
a brain.
!