Sign in with
Your question

HDD Help needed

Last response: in Storage
June 18, 2006 12:30:53 PM

Hey folks, just ran SpeedFan to check some Voltages and noticed for the first time that my HDD (a 160gb SATA-2 Western Digital) is running at 64*, is this normal? It could of course just be a dodgy temperature sensor, but another program also reported the temp as such. My other temperatures such as CPU and GPU are fine, and I don't believe my case ventilation is poor, so whats going on? And what can I do?!

Cheers, any help would be great.

More about : hdd needed

June 18, 2006 1:10:15 PM

That allmost 15 deg hotter than my notebook's drive. WD run hot but not quite that hot. You may need to install a fan for your drives. Most mount infront of the drives on the cage if equiped. Don't need a high speed fan just something to move air accros it. Try a Stealth, ther nice n quite.
June 18, 2006 1:15:53 PM

Quote:
That allmost 15 deg hotter than my notebook's drive. WD run hot but not quite that hot. You may need to install a fan for your drives. Most mount infront of the drives on the cage if equiped. Don't need a high speed fan just something to move air accros it. Try a Stealth, ther nice n quite.

I'm pretty sure its a false reading, as after a reboot it read out as 48*, and then after another reboot it is now reporting 68*.

Could this actually be a real reading, or is it like I assume and the sensor is just being 'dodgy'?
June 18, 2006 1:17:41 PM

I actually have two drives right next to each other installed next to an intake fan, one reads 30'C and the other 55'C. It's clear that one of the drives is incorrectly reported its temperature. Try touching the drive or failing that, put in your power management options to "turn off hard disks after ** time". Then after waiting the required time, read the temps, if it is still high then you can tell the sensor is wrong.
!