serious video issue

eirche

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
hmmm, how to i begin? don't really know how to describe it.

i had many instances where the video signal stopped during normal use of computer. first i saw broken, meshed, black lines on screen for 1-2 seconds. then the screen went black, video signal stopped. i know for sure there is no signal, not signal of black screen.

these instances involve mouse events, resizing or moving a windows, resizing or sorting a column. they are regular use of windows, not in games.

i know one condition which i can reproduce for video signal to stop. i omit it from this post atm.

i tried google with different phrases with no luck.

system spec:
Windows XP Pro
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8N-SLI (NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset, lastest BIOS version 1014)
BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC (lastest driver version 84.21)
OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 1GB (2x512MB) (OCZ4001024PDC-K)
500w psu

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
any chance you are using an lcd monitor with your card?

I had a simmilar problem but with an older ati card and installing drivers that came with my monitor fixed my problem

if your using a crt then it may be your card overheating or that its core is damaged from overclocking, if its still on waranty and its not your monitor then rma it.

eirche

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
this is indeed very odd. i couldn't reproduce the condition for video signal failure. i thought i could.

i am using an LCD with DVI connection. i also installed the lastest driver for monitor, downloaded from samsung.com.

i will contact BFG support. meanwhile if you have any ideas, good or bad, please post them.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i will contact BFG support. meanwhile if you have any ideas, good or bad, please post them.
Do that.
You can also try:
checking the monitor cable
checking the device manager to see if it shows irq conflicts
reinstalling video card drivers
pulling the gfx card out, spraying a bit of contact spray into the slot then putting it back; same for the cable plug
trying another monitor
monitoring the motherboards voltages