difference between same cpu 3800+ AM2

FAT_ALBERT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
The AM2 supports DDR2, you won't see much of a performance boost until Q1 2007 with AM2, then AMD launches K8L and gains back the preformance crown.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Yes, but he isn't asking about am2, he's asking whats the difference between those 3800+ AM2 processors

My guess is that they have different cores, but I'm not really an expert on amd's cpus' so I dont know any of the advantages/disadvantages of the different cores

all I see is probly get the one that has the lowest thermal power output, probly the best overclocker, but then again I'm no expert

how many volts DC(think of a Walkman running on 3 volts mp3 players on 1.5- 6 depending on company) the cpu runs on. This does not mean allot....but lower voltage CPUS "tend" to run cooler...

MAX. TEMP
Like it says....it has to go with how hot they CPU should run at the MAX.... it will be lower...they sometimes also refer to max Case Temp... as a indication of what the stock cooler can handle inside the case. The way i see it is...if it don't crash...then its all good....on 939 and AM2 you will see like 30's(maybe even 20's) idle...and 50(if even that) at the most....well at least for most ppl.

THERMAL POWER
This describes how much heat the CPU lets off... heat is just a by-product of electronics.... when you take in the millions of transistors in a cpu its gonna make some heat.(mine is rated at 89 for one cpu so for 2 it ain't bad and is at 37 right now...about 50-55 load on a hot day under load) When you can look for the lowest THERMAL POWER...but as long as you have a well ventilated case it is not going to be an issue.... CPU's just get better and better in that way....

ADA3800IAA5CU - this is like the standard CPU 89 watts of heat...easy to take care of with the stock heat sink....

ADO3800IAA5CU - This is made for smaller cases(i think they call this EE, Energy Efficient) and people that want low heat...

ADD3800IAT5CU- this is there (corect me if i am wrong someone) EE SFF “Energy Efficiency Small Form Factor" CPU - made to run in the smallest of cases and runs so cool so that they will still be quiet and be able to put up with the poor ventilation of such a case...

I hope this helps

THERMAL POWER

ADA3800IAA5CU - this is like the standard CPU 89 watts of heat...easy to take care of with the stock heat sink....

ADO3800IAA5CU - This is made for smaller cases(i think they call this EE, Energy Efficient) and people that want low heat...

ADD3800IAT5CU- this is there (corect me if i am wrong someone) EE SFF “Energy Efficiency Small Form Factor" CPU - made to run in the smallest of cases and runs so cool so that they will still be quiet and be able to put up with the poor ventilation of such a case...

I hope this helps

Just be aware that the lower the TDP the more expensive it will be. So ADA3800IAA5CU will be the cheapest because it produces the most heat.
ADD3800IAT5CU will be the most expensive of these three 3800+ because it is the most energy efficient and produces less heat.

Tx_Chaos60

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
jaguarskx
Why is this processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 (89W)
# Core: Windsor
# Model #: 4000+
# Rev: F2
# Clock Frequency: 2000 Mhz
# System Bus: 2000
# Package: Socket AM2
# Operating Mode: 32/64
# Core Voltage: 1.30V/1.35V
# Thermal Power: 89W
# Cache: L1: 128KB x2 / L2: 512KB x2
# CMOS Technology: 90nm SOI
# Memory Controller: 128-bit

So much more than this?
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 (62W)
# Core: Orleans
# Model #: 3800+
# Rev: F2
# Clock Frequency: 2400 Mhz
# System Bus: 2000
# Package: Socket AM2
# Operating Mode: 32/64
# Core Voltage: 1.35V/1.40V
# Thermal Power: 62W
# Cache: L1: 128KB / L2: 512KB
# CMOS Technology: 90nm SOI
# Memory Controller: 128-bit

I mean it don't really matter I've already ordered the one with the Windsor core. I'm just hoping I ordered the best one, if there is a better one and not spent $147.00 too much.
Thanks