Building new PC - Need some help please

Upsetian

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Hey!

Let me bother you with the backround to my problem.
I Live on one of the Greek Islands ... quite far away from real civilization. After years of savings and begging I have quite alot of cash to build a good gaming pc / rig.

The amount is exactly 6100 euros ... which translates to about the same amount in USA dollars (Due to the higher prices here in Greece)

I have been looking (mostly here at THG) for my new PC. After choosing most parts in Nov 2005 I decided to wait for either Conroe or AM2 ... which I did. I also decided to get AM2 over conroe since I will be upgrading next April which hopefuly will get me K8l (assuming it is AM2).

Currently My PC build is:

Case ThermalTake Kandalf (The old one, not the sidefan or LCooling edition)
CPU: AMD FX-62
Mboard: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
GPUs: 1x nVidia 7950 OR 2x 7900GTX OR 2x 7950 (in that order)
RAM: 2GB Corsair (undecided on model)
Audio: SB XFI Elite PRO
HDD (Storage Array) 4xMaxtor DiamondMAX 10 300GB (Raid0)
HDD (OSs and Program Files) 2x 80GB Raid0 (or 1x Raptor 80GB) or (2 Raptor 80GB Raid0)
PSU: Thermaltake Powerstation 520Watts (because of less cable clutter)
Cooling: Water Cooling CPU (and maybe GPUs)
---> CPU waterblock: Probably Danger Den .. but I need help here
---> Radiator: Something that fits either in the 5.25 bay or secondary PSU (if kandalf)
--> Resevoir: DangerDen 5.25 bay
--> Pump: 12v (But I would eheim)
--> GPU blocks (If i use them Danger Den)

Thats about it ... As soon as I figure out the build .. I will also need advice on Water Cooling ... but that can wait.

Thnx in advance!

Upsetian

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
so whats the problem???

PS: dont go with AMD you will kick your self when youve spent all the money on a PC that can easily be out classed by the Core2duo.

Upsetian

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
sorry for not answering ... it is summer u know Wink

ok what I need is feedback on my choices .. I will listen to anyone and to anything they have to say.

The most important part now is selecting the parts ... after that I will need some help on watercooling .. as it is somwthing I have never done before.

Also I feel the need to justify the purchase of the FX ... of any AMD CPU for that matter. I was going to wait until August but decided against it for many resons, one being that I might make some money over the Christmas holidays and be able to get the K8l CPU (selling the FX-62). From what I have read (and I might be wrong) thw K8l will be better than the respective AMD CPU at the time, so it justifies the choice for AM2 now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
If you will be replacing the cpu shortly, then why get the fx62?
Why now, when in a month they will drop steeply in price?
You seem like you have more money to burn than wits...
Also, if you want to do watercooling, you'll have a hard time with the 7950.

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
As long as u hav money u can get anything u want but remember to choose wisely.

Make sure u get AM2 FX-62 as it can supports DDR2 800.
Also, if u only intend to hav a single 7950 or 7900GTX and one HD, 450W is more than enough

Upsetian

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Firstly - I wasn't planning on WC the 7950 if I got it .. but thats not important.

So .. What do you suggest I do? I am not going to wait the ~45 days to get the Core 2 Duo for 2 resons: On July 30 it's mid summer and I have better things to do than stay inside. Secondly I don't want to get a Core 2 that MAY be worse than AMD's answer next year. I stand by my belief that "future-proofing" justifies getting AM2 now.

Still, If you give me a better alternative I will be more than happy to consider.

P.S. I have been saving for about 5 years now, so the future is important. My next ground-up new rig will probably be 2010/2011.