XFI Xtrememusic and interchangable outputs?

soberpyro

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Is there a way to remap which outputs I want for which channels? For instance, I'd like to keep my 2.1 system and my headphones connected at all times, with sound going to both sound devices, but I can't, because I can't remap the sound outputs to handle both 2.1 and headphones at the same time.

So, can anyone tell me how to do that?

My podunk onboard sound will let me remap channels, but the mighty X-Fi won't? I should be able to just select it and drag and drop it so that I can choose which outputs for what channels I want. If anyone knows and there's an option I don't see or something, please let me know.

-soberpyro

halcyon

Splendid
OMG, that's so funny. I had a post to do EXACTLY the same thing a few days ago. Though I tried to explained my goal as clearly as you've explain it, people had a hard time understanding what I was trying to accomplish. I don't think the X-Fi supports a "quadrophonic" mode (stereo x 2, simultaneously), I'll watch your post to see if anyone can shed any other light. ...I ended up running dual cards, one SB Live! and one X-Fi (Speakers on Live!, headphones on X-Fi). I just pick the card that has the listening device I want to use.

halcyon

Splendid
The reason, I imagine, that Creative doesn't allow you to accomplish this with the audio card alone is because they sell that capability starting with their ~$200 X-Fi Platinum. If you already have the base card you can get the Platinum's internal break-out box for $80 ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=14659 ) ...or if you prefer the X-Fi Elite Pro's breakout box that can be had too...for $230 ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=14711 )

So, it appears that Creative feels that they've given us a bargain @ $120 for the base card and all its DSP engines. ...and if we actually want convenience we should happily pay at least $80 additional for it. They're quite generous you see.

Fortunately, the X-Fi I'm using came with the XPS 600

soberpyro

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
haha

You sound quite logical when it comes to Creatives marketting effects. Are you sure you don't work for the marketting side of their company? lol

I hope someone might kno something about this, however, i think you are correct in regards to it not being "quadrophonic". I have searched the web everywhere and just havent had any luck.

thanx.

-soberpyro