Want to format and reinstall windows

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I just got a new mobo, graphics card, and processor and now I want to wipe my hard disk and reinstall windows. I have tried using the windows xp cd to do a full reinstall, but it only gives me the option to format the d drive and not c, where my windows is installed

I have a Maxtor 200 gb HD with two partitions, c and d. How do I wipe all the data and then reinstall windows? I tried using:

format c: /fs:ntfs

in the recovery console but it didn't do anything. I have an NTFS file system. What should I do?

allred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
It should come up on the xp disk, did when I reinstalled. Try going to the install windows option, the select the c drive and say you want to write over the existing installation, not have 2.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Stick the windows xp cd into the drive, restart computer, delete the c partition and make a new partition. Now do a full format.. Although now, you may end up with windows on something other than the c partition.

Make sure you backup your drive, just incase!

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
You need to tell me exactly what to do. Not sure how to delete the partitions. Preferably, I would like to not have to delete any partitions but just wipe them clean.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Just to get it right, XP you can only don't see the C: partition, only D:?
What you may be seeing is that windows may want to option to format C: becuase it has all the curring .ini files needed for a healthy OS. If you have to option to do a fresh install, then allow windows to searh for a current file system, you should be able to reinstall a fresh copy of XP over the exsisting one as well as just repair.

If that is not the case, then just back the D drive up someplace, you can create a compressed ghost image. then just wipe the whole drive clean and start over.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
You have to delete all the partitions, not just one. The cd will tell you what and how to do it.
If your having trouble already I would suggest you dont attempt it. If you havent done a full format and install at least five times, your bound to have issues. Best to leave that to someone who knows what they are doing.
If you get windows installed then the correct order in which to do things is this:
1)Install XP
2)Before you connect your pc to the internet go to control panel, network connections, properties then go to advanced and make sure internet protection firewall is enabled.
3)Install your service packs
4)Install your motherboards chipset drivers
5)Install the latest directx
6)Install the latest video card drivers and reboot.
7)Install the rest of your hardware drivers, if any.
8)Finish by getting all your windows critical updates.

Good luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not necessarily true. I have C and D partitions on my own drive, and I've deleted partition C, then created the new partition in its empty space, and formated that partition, at least a dozen times.

In fact, I have another drive I use for benchmarking motherboards that has one 40GB partition and one 200GB partition, with drive images in the second partition. When I get a new board, I delete partition C, create a new partition in the empty space, and format the new partition. Then I instal windows. Works every time. Then I instal benchmark programs and Drive Image. Then I make an image on Drive D.

Drive D is getting pretty full of images, and I've NEVER had to delete it.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense....

If your having trouble already I would suggest you dont attempt it. If you havent done a full format and install at least five times, your bound to have issues. Best to leave that to someone who knows what they are doing.

You tell him if he hasn't done it 5 times don't try, but if he doesn't try how does he get to the "magical" 5 times???

And I agree, you can delete and format then install on just one partition, you don't have to delete them all.

boblin

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
This is the way I would do it.
1. Download the software from Maxtor that does a low level format on your HDD. Doing this wipes out all partitions on your HDD and writes zeros on your HDD. No data will be left on your HDD.
To download the software go to:

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware+Downloads%2FAll+Downloads&downloadID=22

Download the software and follow the instructions to create a boot disk.

2. After you created the disk on the A drive (floppy disk) you must make the A drive as the first option when you boot your PC.
To do this press DEL when your PC starts to boot. You will access the BIOS of your motherboard and set your A drive as the first boot option.
After dong this reboot your PC.

3. Follow the instructions displayed on your screen. After all warnings select Low Level Format. After it initiates you will have to wait about 90 minutes or more to complete the low level format.

4. Reboot your PC and access your BIOS and set your CD ROM as you first boot devise.

5. Put your XP Installation CD in your CD ROM and reboot your PC. When it restarts it will boot from your CD ROM and start the instalation on a completely clean HDD.

6. Having two partitions on a HDD is a good thing. All your files should be kept in the D partition (also My Documents and an Outlook Backup using MS Outlook Backup Application). If your PC gets infected it will reside in your C partition (OS) and connecting you HDD to any PC will allow you to recover you files and data in a simple and easy way (as long as it is stored in the D partition).

7. Good Luck!

boblin

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I posted a possible solution to your format problem.
If your new components are AMD based the software to zero write your HDD will not work. They will only work with an Intel based system.
Any Intel system will work. You may connect your HDD to any Intel based system and run the software. You need the floppy drive and your HDD connected...that's all.