omega244

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I see a lot of people saying that the Opteron 170 is a much better deal than any other dual core CPU. I was wondering about this because as near as I can tell the only difference other than the core architecture is that the opterons run on a 1000 HT bus and the X2's run on a 2000 HT bus.

So my question to anyone who has some experience with this or just knows about it is, does it matter to have the extra speed for the bus or is that mute for another couple of years?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
The general consensus is that Opterons are better one the whole because they are intended for servers and therefore subject to stricter quality controls and testing. This means that the Opteron you get will be more reliable and overclock better.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
The general consensus is that Opterons are better one the whole because they are intended for servers and therefore subject to stricter quality controls and testing. This means that the Opteron you get will be more reliable and overclock better.
I could'nt have said it better myself.

omega244

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
That is great and all but it did not answer my question entirely. I am still wondering about the difference in speed of the bus. With the bus on the opterons only running at 50% of the speed of any X2, will that make a noticable difference in running game or programs? Included with the newer 939 socket CPUs do they all have intigrated memory controlers? If so, does that mean that the only thing the 1000 MHz HT bus is utilized for is the data to everything on the motherboard, other than the ram?